Question Question

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Posted where it should be :)

Question:

Microsoft are doing their 128Gb/4Gb ram/i5 Surface Pro 4 at a discount at the moment (to 16th September). It's usually £849, but I can get that, the type cover (£109) and some Master & Dynamic ME05 Earphones for £829.

Worth it? Or should I man up and buy either a Surface Book (expensive) or a Dell XPS 13 (less expensive, less spangly)?

I do like to type. The new keyboard is supposed to be good. But am I fooling myself. And with the dell being so small, is that a non-starter?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The surface book is a great laptop/tablet and can easily cope with any work related apps. A lot of people at my workplace are starting to take them as their replacement laptops.

I am a big fan of the surface have had the 1, 2, 3 and 4 versions. Great but depends on usage and a lot of people don't like the KB's. At home I have the Dock and a real KB with screen etc, would recommend that if doing some serious amount of typing.

Choosing between the two. Surface if you are predominantly using it as a tablet with some typing. Book if your looking for best of both worlds tablet/laptop replacement. I honestly think it is best in class at this role right now.

I have had two Dell XPS products including the 13 and both died before their time. Also, not impressed with their build quality these days. I have a Dell Precision 3800 for work and although it is speedy and nice machine the mouse pad is wearing and the LCD hinge plastic casing is partially broken, the laptop is only 8 month old. Both my previous work laptops were Panasonic and lasted 3+ years with only minor KB issues. So I don't abuse them but do travel a lot.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I hear ya man. I think the price of the book is very off-putting tho. You're looking at £1600 for the i5 with a gpu, which is a bit steep, considering the surface all in is half that.

Yep, maybe not quite as functional, but worth double?

Tilda

I loved my surfaces, had to sell my SP3 as I graduated and so was no longer using it on a daily basis.
If I ever need one in the future I'd have no hesitation in getting a SP or Book.
I wish I had the expendable income to buy one for sporadic use at home but can't justify atm.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Liking the surface so far. Typing is good, is responsive etc. Picked up office 365 home for £49 so all is good atm... :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Though 365 was only sub?
Yep. Ability to install on 5 PC's and a terabyte of online storage for my phone to wang photos up to. £49 for the year isn't bad at all IMO.

First time I haven't pirated Office in a long time.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hmm think i am paying 80 quid for a year. You got a student discount. Or so ething cheap cause of your purchase?

Its still not a bad deal. I gave install and tb to my bro wife and mum. As well as myself. So we use most.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hmm think i am paying 80 quid for a year. You got a student discount. Or so ething cheap cause of your purchase?
Just looked about online. Is £60 from amazon and then found a polish site that did it for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom