[QUESTION]Wireless router - loss of speed compared to cable modem

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I upgraded my Virgin broadband service today. According to speedtest.net the modem itself is connected at 51MB/s or so. However when connecting via my router the speed drops to about half that.

I've tried the simple solution of moving the router and modem apart and it gained me a few MB, but not a lot. Have also updated the firmware for the router.

Does anyone have any tips? The wireless router is a Cisco linksys job and, according to the blurb, is a dual band N gigabit router and should be very fast indeed.

Cheers.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Try experimenting with the MTU settings on the router first, see if Virgin quote a suitable MTU.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you can it might be worth connecting via lan cable to the Wireless Router and checking the speed. Then you will know if the bottleneck is Wireless only or the whole router?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The pc is connected by cable to the wireless router, probably didn't express myself correctly ;) There is definitely something with the router losing a lot of the modem's speed.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not necessarily, speedtest may well not be capable of providing the speeds you require to fully test your bandwidth. Try a well seeded torrent or better still, a newsgroup connection (virgin have free NNTP access to my knowledge) using several threads to fully max your connection. You may find you're actually getting your full speed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom