Question: Is raising towers a good feature or not?

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Im just wondering, what people think about this feature that was added...

The whole point of siege is in my opinion to make even out the fight between alot of attackers and a few defenders.

It got abit bad at a point with ae groups defending towers farming incs etc so they added the raise feature...

But with all the ae interrupts etc that excist and is freaquently used today I wonder if the raising tower feature isnt more disruptive towards the lowpop server rvr situation than it is benefitial?

So what do you guys think?

/Charmangle

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
tower raising is one of the few good siege elements they added.

the mistake was in making them repairable without the old 2.5 hour wait to get to 25% first.

it means theres no penalty now for raising your own towers so little incentive to try and take it without.

What they should do in my opinion is allow a tower to stay the same level that you take it at.

i.e if you take a level 10 tower it stays level 10, if you take a level 1 tower it stays level 1 until it upgrades, if you raise a level 10 tower its reduced to level 1.

So at least theres some incentive to take a high level tower without raising it first if you have the will and man-power to do it.

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

the mistake was in making them repairable without the old 2.5 hour wait to get to 25% first.

it means theres no penalty now for raising your own towers so little incentive to try and take it without.

What they should do in my opinion is allow a tower to stay the same level that you take it at.

i.e if you take a level 10 tower it stays level 10, if you take a level 1 tower it stays level 1 until it upgrades, if you raise a level 10 tower its reduced to level 1.

So at least theres some incentive to take a high level tower without raising it first if you have the will and man-power to do it.
Best idea I've heard in a while!

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Most towers seems to be raised by campers, so its good that you can raze em.

uspe

Fledgling Freddie
i think its better now the twrs can be raised.
i have to agree with kagato that the twrs should be raised till 25%

if we r talking about siege keeps and etc i think they shoild add more siege weapons or something more active and fun at siege moments.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
bah...

noaim said:

Bah drunk late saturday night drunk spelling, but think most people here where smart enough to be able to understand what I meant...their answeres reflect that...what ya know, huh!:)

/Charmangle

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
charmangle said:
Bah drunk late saturday night drunk spelling, but think most people here where smart enough to be able to understand what I meant...their answeres reflect that...what ya know, huh!:)

/Charmangle

Its just a lil bothersome to see everyone keeps replying with "raised", even people with english as their mothertongue. I just hope they wont raze their children if they have any. ;)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Imo change the siege control rules, make it a 3-man operation to use a treibh for example.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I actually dislike the feature.

Before people actually used to take towers to defend them and they actually got used. Now since you can raze them 1 minute after they are taken there's very little point in it.

Sometimes it did get silly with camping groups sitting on the roof sure, but you could always just leave them there if you wern't interested. Now all tower takes revolve around 30 people standing at trebs out of nuke range for 5 minutes destroying the tower, then zerging the few people stupid enough to be left inside.

Holding a tower used to be a way for a small number of people to actually fight back against a zerg, it's another case now of the people bringing the most numbers wins, which means all siege is now purely dedicated to opening irvr somewhere, giving no incentive for people to actually leave the damn bridge and try something different.

Tower camping was much much more fun than the lame bridge camping we are left with since they nerfed it. You were exposed to attack while moving to the tower and while taking it, plus it actually spead the zergs up abit. Now it's keep -> bridge -> zerg meights!! :(

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I quite like the feature.

Though Kagato's ideas are good - rep'd for that bud.

The only problem with some suggestions are that they involve more people. For example being able to take a tower and keep it at its level of course requires a group to do that, I kind of think they came up with razing so that a few people had a chance to take many on (taking into account server populations drops over here). Same with Tallen's idea - 3 people on a treb? Blimey they'd be no-one left to actually fight.

On the other hand, Mass RvR events would become quite interesting if towers that were taken stayed at 10, would become very hard for defenders for them to respond and take them back. /discuss

Ahtlehson

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

Good idea

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Loool!:)

:drink:
noaim said:
I just hope they wont raze their children if they have any. ;)

===> Falls of the sofa laughing his head offffffffffffffffff <===

Comment made my day! Thanks for that mate! :drink:

/Charmangle

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
They should make that it takes a little longer for towers to upgrade. like 1 day to get from 1 to 10.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
noaim said:
And if you bombarded them with dried grapes.

You would be raisin them. :(

The real question should be "Is NF a good feature" :/

NF is filled with this flawed by design fuckups. Whats the point having towers if you can't defend them?

Scenario:

8 man grp takes a tower

3 fg arrives, puts up 5 trebs, destroys the tower, zergs the defenders and then raze the tower, utterly pointless and stupid beyond.

NF got no natural travel routes, so all rvr is either pre arranged in Agramon, around bridges+docks or keeps. And this got nothing to do with population it was like this even before, just even worse.

The consensus is that NF sucks, it is badly thoughtout, not very logic and supports one kind of playstyle.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
The real question should be "Is NF a good feature" :/

NF is filled with this flawed by design fuckups. Whats the point having towers if you can't defend them?

Scenario:

8 man grp takes a tower

3 fg arrives, puts up 5 trebs, destroys the tower, zergs the defenders and then raze the tower, utterly pointless and stupid beyond.

NF got no natural travel routes, so all rvr is either pre arranged in Agramon, around bridges+docks or keeps. And this got nothing to do with population it was like this even before, just even worse.

The consensus is that NF sucks, it is badly thoughtout, not very logic and supports one kind of playstyle.

I agree to 99% with you...especially the razing of towers making them a moot point, the only thing I disagree with is your conclusion.

NF rocks according to me, but it takes a huge population to work. It supports all types of rvr and have enough space to host it...but it takes a living population of 2000-3000 to make it work properly, and since we havent had that on cluster at all since introduction of NF, we just havent seen NF when it works!:/

With the rvr population we have now any one of the battlegrounds would be better as rvr zone than the frontier...

/Charmangle

To be really frank, noone but the zergers would enjoy NF even with 3k population.
Thing is people bring people, and even with 3k population ppl will be drawn to where other ppl are, and since ppl are lazy that is bridges, docks, keeps.

8 mans wouldn't have to pre arrange wich days they are gonna roam in agramon since there will be enough teams to support it, wich is good I guess.

The solo, small scale rvr ppl will either get zerged or find noone to fight. Thats how NF works, it got NO and NONE natural travel routes to camp or follow up and down. Therefor when you get action it is ALOT of action. Even with 800 ppl online as a solo visuable class ( even stealther at times ) when u roam to the hotspots wich is, bridges, docks and flaming towers you get too much action.

You can't camp travel paths, since there is none, ppl use boats, run in zergs or 8 mans to and from places. Thats it, bring back OF and it would all improve, ALOT. :p

Yeye, I'm baised etc, but NF never worked for me and I can't see how it has for anyone else except the /stick BG person

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Yeye, I'm baised etc, but NF never worked for me and I can't see how it has for anyone else except the /stick BG person

I know exactly where you are comming from, I had the same vision just 3-4 weeks ago!:) Then I tried out Avalon...and learned how it could work when it works as it should!:)

Basically all your fears are void, and all the action is split up into different arenas benefitial to the different rvr types. (as Ive seen it)

Zerg/siege finds an area, fg action then goes to any other area, and solo crowd goes to their own corner, and the most amazing thing, is that there is so much action that people dont seem to feel the need to be pricks and invade on others fun just because they are bored. So fgs dont go zerg, adders dont go fg areas, and solo crowed is left alone by the rest so they can do their thing...

/Charmangle

ps. Ofc Avalon isnt the perfect blizz I seem to be describing, but so far I havent faced more than a few minor things that annoy me there...for me its just fun to see that NF works...ds

OF would fix it in an instant, then the zergers can zerg emain and fgs can farm the zerg, and 8v8 in remote zones and the solo crew and go to odins, camp svasud milegates and travel routes. The roleplayers duellers could hang around HW.

All problems solved. :p

Calo

Part of the furniture
I don't think OF was any better then NF.

Odin's solo? you actually ever went there? I saw many fg's there.

OF just seems better because alot more ppl played back then which means, more friends, more fun ppl that made the game alot better.

Himse

FH is my second home
OF did have more people. Because it was better landscapes

Nf is just plain shit, with bridges and stuff, boring.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm...

Himse said:
OF did have more people. Because it was better landscapes
Nf is just plain shit, with bridges and stuff, boring.

Well, OF might have been nice to some, but all I know from OF is that it was crap as hell made up just for leet fgs/stealthers to farm poor newbs/zerg...:/

Was probably fun for the leet people but they were and are a rediculous minority...

Today I would probably like it, but in general, id say it would be bad for 70% of the population and fun for 30%...or so...

/Charmangle

Calo

Part of the furniture
charmangle said:
Well, OF might have been nice to some, but all I know from OF is that it was crap as hell made up just for leet fgs/stealthers to farm poor newbs/zerg...:/

Was probably fun for the leet people but they were and are a rediculous minority...

Today I would probably like it, but in general, id say it would be bad for 70% of the population and fun for 30%...or so...

/Charmangle

I just can't understand how ANYONE could play game when he's not having fun. I mean, the second you feel bored with daoc you quit right?

And anyway, the game is what you make from it yourself.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
If NF had a reason to travel then it would be great. You could throw another 2k people at cluster and all you'd have is another 700 people per side standing on the bridge making it even more silly.

Remove the ability to port to any keeps and you'd probably have a great map for RvR'ing on. As it is you might as well remove 3 of the 4 zones from each realm to reduce lag.

Complain about population all you want, but it's not uncommon to go to each bridge in the 3 realms and see 3fg's of people standing about at each one waiting for a soloer to wander past to zerg. Give those 3 fg's a reason to run about and actually meet each other and RvR would be looking good. At the moment there's no reason to actually leave the bridge since RP's keeping popping past when a brave soul gets bored of standing at their own bridge after the 3rd hour.

Groups taking towers used to break it up slightly and shifted the action about, but as has been pointed out there's no point anymore since they are completely undefendable. Someone said that razing towers was put in to allow smaller numbers of attackers to break up a siege.. what's the point in actually taking a tower if you can't defend it with more numbers than the enemy bring.. since a bridge has higher enemy traffic, and is more defensable, the point of towers has gone completely out the window.. might as well just get rid of them completely.

It's just another example of how mythic failed to design NF properly.. the entire basis of the design was having towers that could be taken and defended easily by small groups. They then removed the entire point in that leaving you with a rather flawed map. In the early days people actually bothered to move and RvR was actually good fun and much better than OF. Since the change it's become all far too stagnant. The only real hope is that the new expansion actually gives people a reason to move through the frontier to the dungeon, or at least gives some good small scale RvR inside it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom