question about this wireless stuff

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My friend is considering getting broadband, but its a real hassle getting the cables to run upstairs from his TV downstairs (laminated flooring everywhere). What would it cost to connect it wirelessly to his pc? What would he need?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I think you can get wireless adsl routers. In which case you'd need one of them, and an 802.11b wifi card.. you can get pci ones or usb ones, afaik doesn't make much difference. They're 15 quid, dunno how much the router'd be though.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I got an 802.11b wirelss accesspoint/adsl modem/firewall thingy for £120 add to that the card (about 40 squid) and youre away.
Netgear dg824M is the model number of the router if youre interested mate.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I really doubt you'd need to spend that much on a card though, certainly not a b one, maybe a g one though.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
nath said:
I think you can get wireless adsl routers. In which case you'd need one of them, and an 802.11b wifi card.. you can get pci ones or usb ones, afaik doesn't make much difference. They're 15 quid, dunno how much the router'd be though.
you'd think seeing as he's talking about routing a connection from by his TV around his house he might be talking about Cable ;)

Either way, it's a doddle. If it's DSL then one of Draytek's excellent 2600 Wireless routers (www.draytek.co.uk) - if it's cable then have a look at Linksys' latest offerings. 802.11b will do the job, if he's going to add subsequent machines to his network and rely on the WiFi to push large files between then and stream the odd movie off other machines on the network then 802.11g would be more suitable.

Xav

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My cable connection runs from the back of the set top box, up a big grey network cable, under the floorboards, and into the back of my computer on the ethernet? socket.

How do you do that, but without the cable? Only 1 computer as well.

leggy

Probably Scottish
OR

fuck off RV, you rarely post anything of interest or use. Thnx.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
RedVenom said:

Please don't ruin this thread with stupid comments. I asked for advice in layman's terms, because I know nothing about how all this works. I'm quite happy with my internet connection, but my friend would prefer not to have to route cables around his house.

Its quite simple: Set top box + computer, with no wires. Preferably cheap.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You could just get a wireless network bridge (I think). AFAIK you plug in a cat5 cable one end and it spouts 802.11b wifi out the other. They're pretty cheap.

Something like this perhaps.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom,

If your mate is only wants to connect a single PCto the DSL/cable connection, then the .b standard will be plenty and is cheap as chips. .b does 11Mbps and seeing as cable normally does 512kbps or 1 Mbps.

If you are connecting more than 1 PC and want to network them together for file sharing, you want want to look at the .g standard as this does 54Mbps. Normal Ethernet does 100 as a reference.

RedVenom

Banned
Dr_Weasel said:
Normal Ethernet does 100 as a reference.

Fast Ethernet. There's no such thing as normal ethernet. :rolleyes:

802.11b does 11Mbps, which isn't the same as 11Mb/s. However this is fine for most uses, as people *accept* they are on a connection that wont be as fast as running wires.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
RedVenom said:
Fast Ethernet. There's no such thing as normal ethernet. :rolleyes:

I know... I was talking in laymans terms. For all intents and purposes, a 'normal users' ethernet connection on a relatively modern PC/network will be running at 100 not 10. I was just trying to give some idea of how .b, .g and a typical Ethernet connection all compare to each other.

Shhheez, some people...

RedVenom

Banned
Dr_Weasel said:
... a 'normal users' ethernet connection on a relatively modern PC/network will be running at 100 not 10. I was just trying to give some idea of how .b, .g and a typical Ethernet connection all compare to each other.

Ethernet isn't connection type, its a standard (802.3). At least you didn't comment on what the 'ethernet' is connected to.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
RedVenom said:
Ethernet isn't connection type, its a standard (802.3). At least you didn't comment on what the 'ethernet' is connected to.
Cantankerous computer nerds. Gotta love 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom