Question about other mmorpgs

Zede

Part of the furniture
Do other mmorpgs have the sort of of die hard fans that daoc has ?

Ive watched my friends go through 4 mmorpgs whilst ive been playing this game, namely WoW, SWG, CoH & Anarchy Online. Same always seeems to happen - levelling is fun, but end game sucks. Also the forums for said games dont really make you feel part of a community, least not like FH :worthy:

Can anyone else advise if they have friends who have played another mmorpg for 3 years + ?

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Ultima Online ?
probably still going

oh, and Horizons!
considering how crap the game worked at the start, it's almost a miracle there's still people playing it ;)

Game: poor, Community: great! :D

Zede

Part of the furniture
Cylian said:
Ultima Online ?
probably still going

I mean has played the games themselves. For instance I played UO for a year and half between 1998-2000, game is still going yes, but I only played it for 18 months.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
nope.
EverQuest might have some old ppl in it tho :>

Zede

Part of the furniture
judas said:
EverQuest.

let me explain. there are loads of mmorgps that have been around for 3+ years, but this does not mean its the same people ! Listing other mmorpgs that have been around for 3+ years is not the question.

Do you know anybody that has played the SAME game for 3+ years ? ( that is the question !)

E

Efour

yeah UO its disturbing i played for 3 years and recently dloaded a demo for a laugh to see whats changed.

Loads of the same people where still camping Brit bank looking the same selling the same old shit.

Thats at least 6-8?? years these guys have been playing i think

whatever it is oh dear god that game is shit now.

The first MMO u play will always be the longest and the best memories even if its absoloutley shit.

Every MMO after that the time you play usualy halves, I tried Dark and light the other month didnt even play it for a week. absoloutley shit

I just baught RF online im not even sure ill see the free month out on that one lol

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
Can anyone else advise if they have friends who have played another mmorpg for 3 years + ?

I have played pretty much every "mainstream" and a lot of the more obscure MMO's out there ... some kept my interest for almost 2 months (like WoW) and others bored me after 2 days (like EQ and EQ2)... I always end up going back to DAoC and now when a new mmo comes out I don't even bother closing my DAoC account cause I know I'll be back anyway.

Don't know anyone who played an MMO 3+ years ... all my UO mates moved to DAoC when I did or shortly after.

Feyd

Fledgling Freddie
Only other mmorgs that have lived long that i know of is Ultima Online and EverQuest (1 and 2).
Also Linage and Linage 2 have hardcore fans - but mainly in asia.
But as you said - most other mmorgs are 1 season games.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Cylian said:
Ultima Online ?
probably still going

oh, and Horizons!
considering how crap the game worked at the start, it's almost a miracle there's still people playing it ;)

Game: poor, Community: great! :D

Horizons was the first MMORPG I paid the full money for (guess It was 45 euro's) and just played for the first free month, never subscribed again..The 2nd one is WoW ;) Both boxes are rotting here.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I think DAoC is somewhat unique (at least in the wester world) with its closely knit community, and the reason for that is probably RvR, and the sense of belonging to a team/realm and the loyalty towards that realm (even if you try different realms on different servers most people probably still have a realm they consider their home and origin), where you work together towards common goals etc. If you compare that with f.ex. WoW there are no real realm/common goals to strive towards, its all about personal acheivment, even in PvEraiding (since only a few people get rewarded each raid, compared to master level raids and such in daoc where everyone gets rewarded) or in pvp (which is a joke since you compete more with your own realm-mates than the enemy realm, and actually want other people to fail so you can climb past them in the ladder etc).

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
UO ofc, played that, but not long.. was fun :D

as its hard to admit... Runescape was my first long term playing project... lol

played quite long.

atm ofc daoc is the longest mmo i have played and prob will be. alltho im playing EvE Online to the side abit. eve and daoc are soo completely different,thats why i like em.

quess UO has the longest playerbase.. ppl who have stuck whit it from the beginning to this day.

Inko

Fledgling Freddie
The Saga of Ryzom ( www.ryzom.com ) has a very strong community. A lot of players still, that have played since beta. From what I've heard it sounds like there's Linage 1 players enjoying thier world also, as Ultima Online players still play.

Ofcourse it's not MMO as such, but there are of course still some Neverwinter Nights Worlds running also :worthy:

But more strict on the topic:
I think DAoC and UO is the games with most 'die hards' in them. Also the fact that Mystic still is a bit curious about what thier players want adds to the life of the game. A lot of other MMO seems to fade in regards to development; Here I think DAoC is shining bright - Bah, what do I know, I've been playing for 20 days :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
most games just dont have endgame, every time you go out to rvr you dotn really know what to expect, in pve games its the same old caverns, the same old mobs doing the same old scripted rubbish, its pointless. just such a shame daoc has had next to no advertising :(

Inko

Fledgling Freddie
Inko said:
Also the fact that Mystic still is a bit curious about
I'm stupid!:twak:
I meant "Mythic Entertainment" of course, but I had edited the posted to many times in to short a period now

Raven said:
most games just dont have endgame, every time you go out to rvr you dotn really know what to expect..
Sadly it's true. Though some people love to do the PvE action again and yet again *shrugs* not me. World of Warcraft got to boring quite fast for this player :puke:
For having sticky players you really need to hand them a functional endgame. Like running events (ie. UO/Ryzom) or have a good intergrated PvP/RvR that keeps being interesting. But then again, we all have our own goals, but this is atleast what would keep me 'glued' to a game.

Ardas Nails

OT Photoshop King
There are die hard fans in most mmorpgs however the reason why I think games like UO, DAoC have a strong 'dedicated' community is because of when they were released.

When mmorpgs (daoc) first came out they generally attracted the more mature and older gamers, as the years moved on, the kids got their own computers and broadband, and realised the attraction of mmorpgs, they now swarm it like a plague. Just take a look at the stereotype WoW has for its community?

For me, thats the reason why I have come back to DAoC.. played WoW for quite a while, but I got bored, not because of the game, but because of the community.

Personally, the best era of online gaming has been and passed - too many leet kiddies now :D

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Silent Death Online was excellent game was free on Aol when I played it back in 1999 then went EA :puke: who then destroyed it only problem with game was cheats just like Daoc usual 12 yr old who would download a programme to go faster/radar type.

SDO was Owned by Mythic and they stopped it back in 1992 :mad:

Still got community dedicated in trying to get Mythic to get the game up and running again but as we all now Mythic never listen to they customers.

Soulja

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Ardas Nails said:
When mmorpgs (daoc) first came out they generally attracted the more mature and older gamers, as the years moved on, the kids got their own computers and broadband, and realised the attraction of mmorpgs, they now swarm it like a plague. Just take a look at the stereotype WoW has for its community?

For me, thats the reason why I have come back to DAoC.. played WoW for quite a while, but I got bored, not because of the game, but because of the community.

Personally, the best era of online gaming has been and passed - too many leet kiddies now :D
Can't say I found that to be the case. DAoC had (presumably still has) its fair share of idiot kids, communities between MMOGs seem to vary very little in terms of maturity. Certainly between DAoC and WoW there's virtually nothing in it, ok DAoC has less chinese gold farmers, but that's about it. :p

Morphius

Fledgling Freddie
US servers have chinese gold farmers lol, was buying some plats over there and they had to give me a confirmation call, Hi yu wa fite pla ye?

just decided to sa yes to everything i didnt understand!

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Neocron, which later got forced into Neocron2, still got some of the oldschool players around, its not many players, but most of them are the old ones.

I played some in start, and about 4 months again after neocron2 came, its an awesome game, just too bugged and small playerbase, but its not like any other mmorpg :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Morphius said:
US servers have chinese gold farmers lol, was buying some plats over there and they had to give me a confirmation call, Hi yu wa fite pla ye?

just decided to sa yes to everything i didnt understand!
They get everywhere! :O

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
I think DAoC is somewhat unique (at least in the wester world) with its closely knit community, and the reason for that is probably RvR, and the sense of belonging to a team/realm and the loyalty towards that realm (even if you try different realms on different servers most people probably still have a realm they consider their home and origin), where you work together towards common goals etc. If you compare that with f.ex. WoW there are no real realm/common goals to strive towards, its all about personal acheivment, even in PvEraiding (since only a few people get rewarded each raid, compared to master level raids and such in daoc where everyone gets rewarded) or in pvp (which is a joke since you compete more with your own realm-mates than the enemy realm, and actually want other people to fail so you can climb past them in the ladder etc).

ye but u want gg's of ur own realm to die in agramon etc rather than win, so u can get a fight easier. least i generally do :p

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Although not a graphic one, Avalon-rpg, which is a MUD, has been going since around 1991 with dial-in (hostplay) and online since about 1992 ish and that still has plenty original players around.

I played it solid for four years before moving to DAoC and it's the only other game that takes me away from Cam for any length of time.

It might be text based but it is the most addictive thing I've ever played. I'd probably still be playing that rather than DAoC if I hadn't fallen out with one of the gods :)

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
EQ and UO have ppl who´s been playing since release still going strong.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Cadiva said:
Although not a graphic one, Avalon-rpg, which is a MUD, has been going since around 1991 with dial-in (hostplay) and online since about 1992 ish and that still has plenty original players around.

I played it solid for four years before moving to DAoC and it's the only other game that takes me away from Cam for any length of time.

It might be text based but it is the most addictive thing I've ever played. I'd probably still be playing that rather than DAoC if I hadn't fallen out with one of the gods :)

Nice to see another MUDder around here. :) I played a MUD called Midian for a couple of years starting 1992, and then around 1996 started playing A Moment in Tyme, which was a MUD based on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books. I think i spent 5-6 years there on and off before starting DaoC. If roleplay is what you wanted nothing could beat that place. Text based MUDs just go so much better than anything graphics based for roleplay. :D

Carnalito

One of Freddy's beloved
I bet the ppl who have been playing WoW since release and still playing, will be playing 3 years from now..

Why is a mistery to me at least :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Carnalito said:
I bet the ppl who have been playing WoW since release and still playing, will be playing 3 years from now..

Why is a mistery to me at least :D
Been playing since beta, still playing, no intention to quit any time soon! By contrast I don't think I had an active DAoC account for more than a year at a time ever.

Carnalito

One of Freddy's beloved
Danya said:
Been playing since beta, still playing, no intention to quit any time soon! By contrast I don't think I had an active DAoC account for more than a year at a time ever.

good for you :) Anyway, i think we've answered this thread's question.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Efour said:
I just baught RF online im not even sure ill see the free month out on that one lol

Dammit.. I thought it would be my "getoutofjail-free" card away from DAoC.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Cadiva said:

All the Muds I played I eventually left cause of that same reason :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom