Pure (budget based) power PC

ZoNeHeaD®

Fledgling Freddie
I built my latest creation with just over £500.
9560 3dmark 2006 and not overclocked....

Vista home premium ( Came free with old laptop.)* free
Intel core duo 2600x2 £110
Asus P5 series 680i with 3 x16 slots ( ASUS P5BW ) £70
4 gig Duel channel Ram. £45
2x Geforce 8600GT in Sli mode (3rd one coming soon) £120
Samsung sata2 300gig HD £90
Phillips monitor 19 inch flatscreen £80
keyboard n mouse both lying about Total £515

All items bought on ebay. The monitor is 2nd hand. Just goes to show you what kind of mark up compaq,Hp, etc are making.
* I had to send 12 quid off and waited for months but eventually it came.

P.s I stripped out and reused old compaq case. heat was an issue but i simply rebuilt it ensuring cables were not blocking airflow. And some old fans lying about installed to cool it more.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Interesting system, but you know tri-sli doesn't work yet don't you (same as CrossfireX)? Also only the 8800GTX's/Ultra's have the extra SLI connector for it.

I would probably have gone for a 8800GT (maybe the 256Mb one. but second hand 8800GT's are a bit rare!) for what you are paying as well.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Without a doubt. A single 8800GT is quicker than SLI 8600's by a LONG way.

And I'd probably go as far as saying the same would apply to 3 way, when it eventually works (which does not include your motherboard, it wont).

But yeah, you can build great systems for very little money if you know what to look for.

Mine cost £350 in total, an e6600, 4gb ddr800 ram, asus p5k board, 8800GT :)

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Samsung sata2 300gig HD £90

WUT ? this seems really expensive.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Good point, thats twice the proper price.
500gb Seagate SATA2 32mb cache drive £55 currently.
Samsung 500gb drive £50.

Chilly

Balls of steel
not all HDDs are equal. Could be a 10k model or have sick seek speeds.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Vista home premium (Came free with old laptop.)* free
Technically this violates the license terms, but we won't tell if you don't ^^

The rest of the system sounds nice given the budget, although Kryten's and inactionman are right that a 8800GT will outperform 2x8600GTs. Perhaps you could consider selling the two you have, and investing the money into a single better card.

Kind regards

Jonty

Clarification: In some circumstances, you can transfer licenses for retail versions of Vista. However, OEM copies (like the 'free' ones shipped with new PCs) are stricter in this regard. Although it is physically possible to transfer an OEM license, legally it does void the EULA.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I thought OEM Vista would fail it's authentication if used on a different PC...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I thought OEM Vista would fail it's authentication if used on a different PC...
Hi dysfunction

I'm not sure, because I've never tried, but perhaps it depends if it was activated on the original PC? Maybe Kryten can clarify (because he's knowledgeable, not because he pirates Vista, although ... ^^).

Kind regards

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
a coworker just also claimed that someone can not reactivate an OEM Vista license on a different PC than that which it was originally activated on. myself, I am having a hard time believing that, because how can you get around upgrading components?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I believe oem version of vista will allow certain components to be upgraded but if you change the motherboard then its like having a new pc and it authentication will fail.

Also you may only be allowed to change "x" number of components
I could be wrong though

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi dysfunction

Microsoft's approach with XP, and I think Vista is similar, is that you can change several components with no problems. However, if you make too many changes (it used to be around five, but I recall this was changed), or if you change certain things (like the motherboard), then you will need to call Microsoft and sort out the activation. By all accounts it's a harmless enough process, and they don't give you the third degree, so it's usually not a big problem.

Kind regards

TdC

oh, yeah, I get that all the time with XP. Calling them to reactivate is simple and easy imo. I don't experience it as a hassle at all tbh.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Personally with XP SP3 coming soon I wouldn't even use vista if it was free.

TdC

hmm, atm I'm somewhat chuffed with my Vista64 tbh. Everything seems better, just the techy bits are more hidden away than ever. Mac users would prolly love it ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hate to be a spoil sport, but what are the retail prices of those components? It does not look like a bargain to me.

What kind of RAM is it?

soze

I am a FH squatter
If OEM vista fails you can just call the number tell them its only installed on one PC and they activate it. I have never had a problem getting a licence activated that way.

ZoNeHeaD®

Fledgling Freddie
Ohhh Vista going Pete Tong one m cos of a mobo change etc. Well to clarify the original install on this crap compaq rig was XP. Oem dvd etc. The i sent off 12 quid and got a copy of Vista home premium free. PCworld. bear in mind i did not pay for the PC. it was a gift.
Yes the 8800Gt is better but I just like looking at 2 sli cards. long term it'll be 2-3 ultras in there.

ZoNeHeaD®

Fledgling Freddie
ram is pc2 DDR2 800 6400 duel chanel 5-5-5-18 with cooler sleeves. 4 gig atm

ZoNeHeaD®

Fledgling Freddie
last but not least i forgot to mention the HD came witha not so free gamers mouse/kb set.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sound's like you've a fair bit of money to piss away there mate :D

New cards on their way soon, so ditch the idea of any 8800 flavoured Ultras or GTXs.

ZoNeHeaD®

Fledgling Freddie
but those 9800's will cost a bomb! and no i aint got lots of money...i wish!
just cobbled this lot for less than 300 quid or so..but a system just like it could be got for 500 quid. remember most people aint got a clue how to build a pc. inc me hehe!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
But it did cost you £500 quid. £515 according to your price list.

I am not convinced of the value of your system, especially when you consider the risk of non-working components and the hassle of returning them to ebay sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom