Punkbuster, Cheating and Leagues

O

old.Kain

This is a post I am thinking of posting on all major league forums.

It's amazing that with the amount accusations of cheating flying around every other match that still no european leagues require punkbuster. Punkbuster is a low-on-resources program that detects and dumps cheaters. It has been tested extensivly and it works. I've never had trouble with it and I have seen it work.

Three main reasons have always stood in the way of punkbuster being required in leagues.
#1 - Lag. Many say they experience lad while using punkbuster. - Lag? I've tested this over a 56k line and feel no lag whatsoever.

#2 - Installing problems. Many say they have problems getting punkbuster to work and connection to servers. - Bah I say at these people as they don't have enough computer skills to start up a browser.

#3 - Punkbuster not required. - I think all serious leagues should have punkbuster as a required proggy to have. Leagues should run their own Punkbuster master servers and keep a list of cheaters cought.

The main reason in my opinion for people resisting punkbuster is because they are cheating. And actually I think I'm pretty close to the mark when I state that 40% of all TFC league players are cheating.

Yeah yea.. Start souting and yelling..
There is no other explanation. I've tested punkbuster extensivly and never found any problems with it. IF you don't want to play with punkbuster it means you have something to hide.

So get your act together League Admins and get PunkBuster rolling.. I for one am very tired of cheaters, accusations of cheating and faul language being thrown around as a result.

Stop the cheaters! Play fair!

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

Well in reply to the Punkbuster situation I and the rest of my clan members would gladly use it to catch the cheats. BWTFCL did insist you using Punkbuster at the start of the season. However there was so many problem with it. I for one found that I'd be authd to use Punkbuster. The test would run about 5 mins into the match and say I was authd, but if it ran the test again I was kicked for not being authd. I know many clans had this problem and equally others didn't. I'm sure you'll agree that this disrupts the game and therefore causes disputes between the two clans playing that match.

I therefore think that it can only be used if it is near full proof but until that is the case I think we r stuck with the low level scum we all like to call cheaters.....

One more thing........what classes someone a cheat? Someone who uses clever scripts (damn them all as I hate them) or a bit more brutal, say someone who uses wallhacks etc...... Thoughts please.......

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

Hmm....just read the news section:

Just as a confirmation: PB will be needed for semis and finals under the conditions outlined in the previous newspost :)

hmm......bwtfcl admins sure about this?

O

old.Kain

Cheats are

Wallhacks
Aim Bots
Conc removers

Not cheats

Any kind of script that automates things you normally do
anyway.

T

Twinner

ETFCL(or something like that) requires it
Also PB is required for all Playoff games in BWTFCL.
So @ a guess it'll prolly be made mandatory next season. As the bugs that affected peeps @ the start of the season are supposedly sorted.

Also what xactly do u mean by "clever scripts"?

I also think that Cheaters should DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

Well from watching certain demos from other clans it appears that many of them use what I call 'clever scripts'. I won't say who but I was a watching a demo of this so called 1337 dude who uses many scripts. One being a RJ script for a solly which basically shoots him into the air but his view remains level (what I mean by that is that he can still see infront of him even though he should be looking down at that point). I was wondering if you class script users as people who cheat also?

O

old.Kain

Where have you been hibernating? Such rj scripts have been around for a millennia

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

lol ..... I know RJ scripts have been around. Duh.....probably played this game longer than you. Anyway, my point was do u see them as cheaters also.....

Obviously you don't but I was actually asking Twinner and the rest of the so-called 'TFC Community'.

O

old.Kain

As I stated in an earlier post... Scripts are normally not cheats.. Unless it change graphics to a point where it's an advantage to use it.. Scripting weapon use and bunnyhopping etc is not a cheat

S

[SCW]Proud

Just as a confirmation: PB will be needed for semis and finals under the conditions outlined in the previous newspost :)

further down - in the previous news post ..

Punkbuster in the playoffs is now 'optional', only optional to the extent that if both clans don't want it on then it doesn't have to be, but if just one of the two clans competing wants it then they get their wish and it will be used. Punkbuster will be hosted by the referees who will get the settings and information through email before the semi finals start on Monday.

M

Moön

That script Nessie has dicribed sounds a little like 3 person view which I would class as a cheat also 3rd person affects conc's so another reason why its cheating .

You shouldn't need a script to play a game what's wrong pressing 2 button's at the same time a little complicated for some ?

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

Aha! Moony that wasn't what I was talking about BUT!!!! - a very valid point. A third person view can be used to have the atin-concussion feeling after a conc.

I consider that cheating........anyone else?

O

old.eH_SimoN

I have to admit that if i knew how to cheat i probably would try it :p

But alas i have no knowledge of the dark world of cheating :rolleyes:

R

rty

umm after watching that match between 12m and RG punkbuster seems a bit buggy :/ kicked every1 at 15mins :/ umm lol

S

]SK[

Yeh anti conc is a cheat. Ive tried it and its kind of 3rd person but not totaly cause u still look like 1st person cause you still shoot from ya head.
Not enjoyable to play anyway.

I tried the speed hack a while ago, that was fun but not to be used in games which some people did.

O

old.Wriggly40

PB in theory is good, but it is almost unusable in practise.
Many servers that did use PB removed it very soon.

The worst part of PB is the unrealiablity.

O

old.Big Chief

3rd person

bah why do so many people say "omg you dont get conced in 3rd person" :confused: have you people ever thought about actually testing this :confused:

On your screen just because your screen isnt moving from side to side dosent mean he isnt conced, try it, shoot where the crosshair is, youll find that the rocket/shottie bullet still goes haywire, thus the conc still takes effect :clap:

Btw i dont use 3rd person but i did test this ;)

S

]SK[

No there is something else out there which does same kinda thing but truly does work.

O

old.[SCW]Nessie

Yeah, but the point is to allow scouts to appear non-conced and to rush the flag without feeling dizzy.

B

bovinusdebilus

Heum...

PB was required in the beginning of this season of BWTFCL. But, after lots of problems we decided to not use it. Example : UE vs MDR : 8 MDR and 7 UE kicked by PB with no reason. Only 1 UE and the ref were saved :clap:

An another match, where nearly a whole team was kicked and not the other one. And this one keeps playing (the ref felt asleep i think), etc......

Above all, PB is not the magnificient program to fight vs cheat.

In order to detect a cheat, this cheat has to first exist. So, there is always a period where a cheat exists and where PB cannot detect it. Cheater programmers are quicker than PB developpers.

To my mind, those who really want to cheat will always find the cheat not detected by PB.

O

old.k70

Re: Heum...

Originally posted by BovinusDebilus
In order to detect a cheat, this cheat has to first exist. So, there is always a period where a cheat exists and where PB cannot detect it. Cheater programmers are quicker than PB developpers.

PB cant detect all cheats out there at once and it doesnt has to in order to catch cheaters. A person who cheats is never save because PB has the autoupdate feature which adds new detections and thus, the former undetected cheat becomes detectable and the cheaters gets a violation.

O

old.[K20]EUROnator

Originally posted by Kain
This is a post I am thinking of posting on all major league forums.
#2 - Installing problems. Many say they have problems getting punkbuster to work and connection to servers. - Bah I say at these people as they don't have enough computer skills to start up a browser.

The main reason in my opinion for people resisting punkbuster is because they are cheating. And actually I think I'm pretty close to the mark when I state that 40% of all TFC league players are cheating.

I've tested punkbuster extensivly and never found any problems with it. IF you don't want to play with punkbuster it means you have something to hide.

puh-leeze!
Just cos you havent encountered any probs doesnt mean that there arent any.
Not everyone has the same kind of computer setup as you.

I've seen lots of problems, some of em seem to be fixed now.
I'm all for the punkbastard but at the current state it just isnt much use for anything else than praccy games or public servers.

Your 40% figure isnt based on anything but your gut-feeling, so I wouldnt go calling it at the mark or anywhere near.

2 days ago I got my first PB violation.
This happened when I had to load the map from the server and the violation was "15. Too Many Restarts ".
Server kicked&banned me.

Great work PB!

ps.hopefully you didnt post that in anywhere else than here, since you are just gonna make an a** outta yourself.

O

old.Kain

We just finished our last match using punkbuster for the first map..

Yes it was a bit spammy on the text and was kicking one or two from both sides for timeouts etc.

I've constructed a config that shuts the server up and allows more flexibilty on reconnects and stuff.. Should work fine.

I've also moved 748 punkbuster server to a dedicated linux machine.

On the rules issue of BWTFCL... Why can't one clan demand the use of punkbuster??? As stated in the UKTFCL Cup rules if one clan wants pb the other clan must say yes, unless it has serious problems using it not related to cheats.

That UKTFCL rule I think should be applied into the BWTFCL rules.

O

old.DeerHunter

BWTFCL has the same rule as UKTFCL. It's been there since we stopped making PB compulsary in last season. If one clan wants PB, it must be used. However it is sometimes difficult to find people to host it, refs do not always make the best PB servers.

M

Moön

I don't think PB has been properly tested from an admin side from what I'm hearing perhaps if it were tested and problems with it identified then atleast a method of rectification could be sought .

O

old.Kain

Strange since on the UKTFCL Forums Storm said that PunkBuster would be used if one clan wants to

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom