Public server

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bad_crc

How to create a public server with the GAME.NET booking system?
It kept asking me for a password...

C

Cdr

Fraid you cant, it needs to have a password on it - there's nothing stopping you giving out the password to whoever. But you cant book a server without one.

E

Embattle

I didn't think you could create a public server via the Bookable servers, its an option for those that own BarryServers.

E

evilmonkeh

a usefull solution is to put the password in the server name - something noticeable like
PASSWORD: - blablah
so then you get other people joining

B

Bazerka

Originally posted by evilmonkeh
a usefull solution is to put the password in the server name - something noticeable like
PASSWORD: - blablah
so then you get other people joining

Alternatively, that's a good solution for having your account disabled :)

L

lolvenom

Wow, I wish I could pay for something then have my account disabled for using the service.

O wai...

E

Embattle

Originally posted by lolvenom
Wow, I wish I could pay for something then have my account disabled for abusing the service.

O wai...

B

bad_crc

Thanks for the replies guys. But what's the problem for BW to let people book a public server? I don't understand why I can have my account disabled for that?

C

Clowneh!

They pay for the bandwidth. If you want a public server, it would set you back more than 24 quid a year.

B

bad_crc

Originally posted by Clowneh!
They pay for the bandwidth. If you want a public server, it would set you back more than 24 quid a year.
OK, so what's the difference between me playing with 31 friends of mine to whom I sent the password, and me again playing with 31 strangers. In both cases, I am the only one who paid 24 quid, and though you say that in the second case, my account will be disabled???

K

Krazeh

Does it matter? Their servers, their rules, if they say you can't do it you can't do it, simple as.

L

lolvenom

Originally posted by Krazeh
Does it matter? Their servers, their rules, if they say you can't do it you can't do it, simple as.

Come the revoloution, first against the wall.

(along with the rest of 'them', don't you know)

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by Bazerka
:O
if its only for an hour or so, does it matter if people i dont know play?

L

lolvenom

You answer your own questions, after all, paying for a service doesn't mean you can acutally USE it.

B

bobster

This does sound like a silly rule! bad_crc's example highlights this. We are only provided with one or two hours use a week (i think, can't remember as ive yet to use the service), you can't really compare that to owning/renting a public server.

Sounds like Game is pinning it's hopes on people not booking the servers very often, or if they do not using it to its full capacity.

It's not as if the un-bookable Game servers are populated very often either, at least in battlefield 1942 ive not really looked at the other game servers.

C

Clowneh!

The point is that Game.net sells game servers. If you want one, buy one. Am I right or am I right?

L

lolvenom

Originally posted by bobster
Sounds like Game is pinning it's hopes on people not booking the servers very often, or if they do not using it to its full capacity.

It's not as if the un-bookable Game servers are populated very often either, at least in battlefield 1942 ive not really looked at the other game servers.

Hay were trying to run a business here not a charity dont u no.

lol what you mean about it not being busy lol. GAME4EVA.

E

evilmonkeh

Originally posted by Clowneh!
The point is that Game.net sells game servers. If you want one, buy one. Am I right or am I right?
but you pay for a small ammount a week, so why should we be expected to pay for minimal use?!

L

lolvenom

Actually, what he bought was the rights to book any of the game.net servers.

Its a nice loophole that you can be your own admin for an hour a month (whatever) on a semi-public server. So naturally, they threaten you - because you won't then be abiding by their ad-hoc rules. Neato.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by bobster
This does sound like a silly rule! bad_crc's example highlights this. We are only provided with one or two hours use a week (i think, can't remember as ive yet to use the service), you can't really compare that to owning/renting a public server.

Okay,

Firstly, you get 4 hours a week.

Secondly, what you're asking for is basically a rentable. Which is stupid. You could have lots of accounts (or have a large clan who all subscribe) and each account would get 4 hours a week, so in effect you could book up a server for a whole week for very little money. Now, what would be the point in Game.net then supplying rentables if you could just get X amount of accounts and use the bookables?

There has to be some difference between the bookables and the rentables.

If you look towards other GSP, they dont allow you to remove the password from the bookable - so it is not just a Game.net policy.

It does not make good business sense to offer the ability to book a 'rentable' for a minimal cost.

L

lolvenom

Originally posted by Cdr
Blah blah blah

Looked like what he actually wanted was to know why he couldn't remove the password. Game doesn't allow it. The solution was then raised to put the password in the topic. He can't do THAT because the admin has insinuated it'll get his account deleted.

The difference between the bookables and the rentables, well you have already stated that yourself. One is "yours", the other is yours for only 4 hours. I don't think he's implying this should be the same as a rented server.

It also doesn't make good business sense to alienate your client base, but game manages to do that?

N

natrat

hello...you won't have your account disabled for making a booked server public unless you seriously abused it by booking up an entire day for example and removed the password via rcon every time the bookings started, or repetedly did it after fair warning.

It is against our policy to remove the password. the bookables are aimed at clans and people wanting organised scrims and matches. We have our own public servers you can play on (subscriber and preview servers) that are not passworded if you don't care who is playing with you. We also rent public servers.

We do of course have the option of removing anyone from the service who breaks the t&c's. But we're a reasonable bunch of people/gamers and overlook the odd indiscretion. but we don't take kindly to piss taking... ;)

cheers
nat

L

lolvenom

Alternatively, that's a good solution for having your account disabled

Originally posted by natrat
..we're a reasonable bunch of people..

If you want to admin a public server, just ask Cdr about it. am i rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom