Psp

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
15,260
Sar said:
And let's not even compare the two systems versions of King Kong:



Socom graphically pisses all over THAT from a great height.
lol



well the DS although crappy graphics are nicer to look at after all.

if i had to play the psp one id need to get my eyes tested right?
 

Sar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,140
No! You'd go blind!

BTW: I'm posting this on the PSP...

;)
 

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
27,305
I think what aada is trying to argue (very badly) is that the DS probably offers more in terms of gameplay than the PSP. That is not to say that the PSP is a bad console, it just doesn't have an outstanding line-up of games, and is let down by the high price of games and UMD movies. The DS focuses purely on games and does that very well, and the pricing is reasonable. The PSP offers more as a portable gadget, the DS offers more for a gamer.
 

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
Moderator
FH Subscriber
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
11,899
tbfh, you're still all bitchwipped by the megadrive and you know it
 

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
1,436
Well Nintendo's mantra is, and has always been a focus on games/gameplay and innovation rather than having the flashiest system with the most uber specs and power. You can see this with the upcoming revolution, Ninty said themselves that it's basically 2.5 times the power of the gamecube (which is still more than enough imo) and wont support the higher HD resolutions (time will tell on that call), but something they have learned now is that the look of the system is becoming more popular, no less why the revolution looks far less gamey than the 'cube.

Got a psp meself and enjoying it, passes the time great when i'm away from the pc or before going to sleep, it's certainly not pick up & play with the loading and generally 'longness' of the games but does me fine, plus I can surf the net in bed and just switch off, sure a laptop can do that, but this is more comfortable when laid back in bed. The DS is purely a gaming machine and does it damn well, the psp is more a multimedia brick, and it does do that well too.

Going to buy myself a ds when the inevitable redesign appears, what can I say, i'm shallow :p


ps, this wasn't written on a psp ;)
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
FuzzyLogic said:
Well Nintendo's mantra is, and has always been a focus on games/gameplay and innovation rather than having the flashiest system with the most uber specs and power. You can see this with the upcoming revolution, Ninty said themselves that it's basically 2.5 times the power of the gamecube (which is still more than enough imo) and wont support the higher HD resolutions (time will tell on that call), but something they have learned now is that the look of the system is becoming more popular, no less why the revolution looks far less gamey than the 'cube.

Got a psp meself and enjoying it, passes the time great when i'm away from the pc or before going to sleep, it's certainly not pick up & play with the loading and generally 'longness' of the games but does me fine, plus I can surf the net in bed and just switch off, sure a laptop can do that, but this is more comfortable when laid back in bed. The DS is purely a gaming machine and does it damn well, the psp is more a multimedia brick, and it does do that well too.

Going to buy myself a ds when the inevitable redesign appears, what can I say, i'm shallow :p


ps, this wasn't written on a psp ;)

i tried the internet on the PSP was great the first time then typing became a a pain in the arse. Can browse full websites on my mobile phone.

But yes what i was trying to say is that overall the DS is better then the PSP at games.

But the psp for me just does everything else bad.

Overpriced UMDs etc i won't go on but thats what i thought.

And to the guy who says his PSP lasts 7 hours constant play is talking out of his fucking arse 7 hours? who are you trying to kid?
 

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
27,305
You know aada, I'd be tempted to take you seriously if you didn't just repeat yourself everypost, refer to people as arseholes for giving their opinion, and stopped trying to force your opinion on everyone when you ignore what anyone else says.

It's like your cyfr, but more annoying.
 

PLightstar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
2,103
Battery Life on the PSP always depends on what you are doing.

I can get around 6 -7 hours of play from a game like Lumines or Puzzle Bubble or get 3 hours from a game like Smackdown Vrs Raw.

UMD movies eat the battery up like nothing while Memory stick movies tend not to.

browsing the Internet also tends to eat the battery aswell only lasting around 4-5 hours.

haven't really listened to music, so I don't know how many hours of MP3 life you would get out of it.

and looking a pictures, another thing I really haven't spent all my time looking at I've got a Sony camera phone so I use my PSP to view the pictures at better quality. But I do have around 100 or so pics on my Memory stick but the bulk of it is wallpapers for the PSP as I get bored easily.
 

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,106
I still play mario 64 on my pc :p

project 64 emulator for the win

i play it with my xbox 360 controller (compatable with windows via usb)



imo one of the best 3d platformers ever, even now it beats a lot of new ones

and omg they squeezed the whole game into 8 megs!?!?!?! Genius.
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
PLightstar said:
Battery Life on the PSP always depends on what you are doing.

I can get around 6 -7 hours of play from a game like Lumines or Puzzle Bubble or get 3 hours from a game like Smackdown Vrs Raw.

UMD movies eat the battery up like nothing while Memory stick movies tend not to.

browsing the Internet also tends to eat the battery aswell only lasting around 4-5 hours.

haven't really listened to music, so I don't know how many hours of MP3 life you would get out of it.

and looking a pictures, another thing I really haven't spent all my time looking at I've got a Sony camera phone so I use my PSP to view the pictures at better quality. But I do have around 100 or so pics on my Memory stick but the bulk of it is wallpapers for the PSP as I get bored easily.

I remember getting Burnout the first day it came out to take on a train journey with me.. PSP was on full charge the night before the PSP lasted 3 hours if that. Kinda pethetic to me.

I'm not trying to convert anyone the OP asked if the PSP was good i gave my opinion in that the PSP is shite, I didn't just say ''it sucks'' i gave plenty of valid reasons.
 

Sar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,140
Aada said:
But yes what i was trying to say is that overall the DS is better then the PSP at games.
Well why didn't you say that? All you've done is slag off others who didn't share your Gospel of Nintendo.

But the psp for me just does everything else bad.
How does it? It's got a great web browser, a great MP3 playing function, great for photos and fantastic for games, despite what you claim.

Overpriced UMDs etc i won't go on but thats what i thought.
Ok, let's not, because the DS doesn't even do em - so it's another bonus function of the UMD format the PSP uses.

And to the guy who says his PSP lasts 7 hours constant play is talking out of his fucking arse 7 hours? who are you trying to kid?
That guy was me, if you'd bother your arse to read the thread properly. And like Plight said, you can get up to 7 hours or so out of your battery. It all depends on the games & how much you're pushing the system. Don't forget there's a full CD reading system inside the PSP, whereas the DS sticks with carts, which obviously use less power to run. That's the first reason why the DS has better battery life. The other being the graphics on the DS aren't exactly taking a whole lotta juice to run either.
 

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
15,260
basically thats what ive been trying to say.

you cant say the psp is bad because its bonuses arnt great (in your oppinion), when the ds doesnt even have those bonuses.

now if we are going to proply compare the 2 systems we should only be using the following -

choice of games - DS has a lot of games, although not suited to everyone. psp has fewer games of better quality

the screens - the DS has touch screen but it seems only to be used to display maps and such, whoopie shit. the psp screen is fantastic, apart from the obvious problems with breakage. i think the psp screen is also better for picture clarity.

controller buttons, dpad etc - both have suitably placed buttons. the psp has an analogue controller which i find works very well. the DS also has analogue on the touchscreen which i couldnt use too well as it hurt my hand.

graphics - in the above picture comparisons the psp has won hands down. although as mentioned, the crappy graphics are apparently nicer to look at.

sound - the DS sound was clear and the stereo seemed to be quite wide. i think the psp sound is of higher quality but also seems to employ some kind of virtual surround? unless im tripping.

now if we want we can compare the so called crappy bonuses

memory card - psp has one, ds doesnt. the memory card isnt just good for movies rather than buying a UMD movie. i found it also useful for storage between uni and home.
mp3 playback - psp can, ds cant
photo gallery - psp....
web browsing - psp.....
etc.
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
tris- said:
basically thats what ive been trying to say.

you cant say the psp is bad because its bonuses arnt great (in your oppinion), when the ds doesnt even have those bonuses.

now if we are going to proply compare the 2 systems we should only be using the following -

choice of games - DS has a lot of games, although not suited to everyone. psp has fewer games of better quality

the screens - the DS has touch screen but it seems only to be used to display maps and such, whoopie shit. the psp screen is fantastic, apart from the obvious problems with breakage. i think the psp screen is also better for picture clarity.

controller buttons, dpad etc - both have suitably placed buttons. the psp has an analogue controller which i find works very well. the DS also has analogue on the touchscreen which i couldnt use too well as it hurt my hand.

graphics - in the above picture comparisons the psp has won hands down. although as mentioned, the crappy graphics are apparently nicer to look at.

sound - the DS sound was clear and the stereo seemed to be quite wide. i think the psp sound is of higher quality but also seems to employ some kind of virtual surround? unless im tripping.

now if we want we can compare the so called crappy bonuses

memory card - psp has one, ds doesnt. the memory card isnt just good for movies rather than buying a UMD movie. i found it also useful for storage between uni and home.
mp3 playback - psp can, ds cant
photo gallery - psp....
web browsing - psp.....
etc.

The PSP games are better quality ? what? thats the the main reason i sold my PSP the games suck.. and the lineup games are awful.

A question for you what do you determine quality as? graphics or gameplay?

Can you honestly say you still play the PSP games that launched with it apart from Lumines? i really doubt it.

I still play Mario 64 that beats most PSP games hands down anyway.

PSP screen have you tried playing this thing outside? impossible unless you stand under a tree in shade even then the sun is still blinding the screen.

DS ? no problem you can tilt the upper screen so you can play.

Gameplay again the DS wins hands down the PSP games are awful they get really boring.. fun factor? nope.

Now lets see about this memory card.. to get a movie onto the PSP you have to decode it.. and its not a quick process. You then have to compress it to a right size actually taking some of the quality away from the film/show.

The implementation is horrible and if you don't admit that your deluding yourself most people i know don't bother with putting movies onto the stick because its horrible.


Web browsing whats the point? its not as if you can whip out your PSP outside and go on the net you have to search for access points and most people are wise to this and shut off their routers because next door neighbours were using their internet to surf on the PSP.

I can do the internet on my phone access full websites.

ofc you'll still find crap to counter this but nm my points are vaild points and are what most people with PSP's hate about them :)
 

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
15,260
but again, your only saying the bonuses of the psp are crap when the DS its self has nothing like them. therfore, your saying things that are EXTRA that the DS doesnt have is making the psp crap.

if your going to say the psp is crap, use things that are common to both devices.

mp3 and memory card isnt common on both. you mainly only talk about the psp bonuses. what is your oppinion on the rest of it, like how i compared it.

if i take your stance on the whole thing, i would say this -

the ds games are kiddy crap shite.
it has two screens where one of them is designated for maps and other useless crap.
the analogue control system is a pile of shite.
i mean wtf who plays games like spongebob square pants - awful, awful crappy kids crap.
an its got 2 screens, and one of them is reserved for crap.
and dont get me started on the analogue control crap
and the kids games - what the hell who plays on them.

and really - have you seen the bottom screen - its useless. its got touch but who the hell cares, its crap.

AND THE KIDS GAMES, WHAT THEHELL YOU HONESTLY PLAY THEM? ON THE 2 CRAPPY SCREENS AND THE CRAPPY ANALOGUE CRAPPY CRAP?

sorry, did i mention i dont like the 2 screens?
 

Talivar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
2,051
i have a ds and psps and tbh i like them both.To me the ds >psp for quick pick and play fun factor but the psps>ds for get comfy and sit for few hours serious factor.
My batterys last 5-7h for xmen 2 but onl;y about 4-5h for UMD.Both have grat games like mario cart and grand theft auto.
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
tris- said:
but again, your only saying the bonuses of the psp are crap when the DS its self has nothing like them. therfore, your saying things that are EXTRA that the DS doesnt have is making the psp crap.

if your going to say the psp is crap, use things that are common to both devices.

mp3 and memory card isnt common on both. you mainly only talk about the psp bonuses. what is your oppinion on the rest of it, like how i compared it.

if i take your stance on the whole thing, i would say this -

the ds games are kiddy crap shite.
it has two screens where one of them is designated for maps and other useless crap.
the analogue control system is a pile of shite.
i mean wtf who plays games like spongebob square pants - awful, awful crappy kids crap.
an its got 2 screens, and one of them is reserved for crap.
and dont get me started on the analogue control crap
and the kids games - what the hell who plays on them.

and really - have you seen the bottom screen - its useless. its got touch but who the hell cares, its crap.

AND THE KIDS GAMES, WHAT THEHELL YOU HONESTLY PLAY THEM? ON THE 2 CRAPPY SCREENS AND THE CRAPPY ANALOGUE CRAPPY CRAP?

sorry, did i mention i dont like the 2 screens?

I'm not saying anything about bonus's at all im talking about the overall PSP package. I don't care if the DS has no bonus so what? the PSP bonus's suck overall but you simply can't see that so end of discussion.
 

Sar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,140
That's 3 ppl who've said their PSP battery lasts up to 7 hours aada.

*cough*
 

Sar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,140
Aada said:
I'm not saying anything about bonus's at all im talking about the overall PSP package. I don't care if the DS has no bonus so what? the PSP bonus's suck overall but you simply can't see that so end of discussion.
Yes, you are talking specifically about all the features that the PSP has above and beyond the DS, and deriding them. It smacks of feature envy tbh.

Oh and the reason why it's so "difficult" (it actually isn't, but then again I am PC literate) is because viewing full length movies on memory stick is an unofficial feature.
 

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
8,009
Plus, downsampling the movies won't necessarily reduce the quality a great deal given that the size/resolution of the screen is far smaller than your average movie is intended to be displayed on. As such, shrinking the movie could be done with no discernable quality loss (within reason).
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
Ok lets take the core of both systems.

Games/Gameplay now since Tris seems to think graphics = awsome game and thats pretty sad.

DS wins for games/gameplay.

The PSP has 3 top games at best the rest can't even manage an average score rating on most gaming websites.

The DS on the other hand most of their games get good ratings simply because they are fun.

The DS game lineup goes from strength to strength while the PSP lineup is bleak is there any game that stands out? apart from GT? is that really it? i mean i know SOE are trying to make a rip off version of Advance Wars with some shit called Field Commander :)
 

Will

/bin/su
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,259
Ok, this is one of these discussions where both sides are convinced they are right, and no one gives anything. After the first page, that's usually the way things are.

The DS and the PSP are aiming at fundamentally different markets. The DS is cheap (£100 new), is simple, and concentrates on the Nintendo factor, which is gameplay above all else, even if its fucking bizarre.

The PSP is expensive, and has a lot of extras for that. It is a lifestyle gadget, rather than an pure mobile gaming machine. That isn't to say that its games aren't good, they are just different from the DS. As stated above, a lot of PSP games are for sitting down and playing for a few hours. Proper games in a handheld format, rather than handheld games.

Both have their place. Some people will like one, some people will like the other. Some people will like both. And the internet is full of tossers.

My work here is done. :)
 

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
27,305
UMD's are from £6.99 now we are in the Jan sales. Same as DVD's, price premium when they are a new chart release, then cheap as chips afterwards. Obviously you only start to see the low cost titles once there is a wide enough range.
 

Wij

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
16,040
Will said:
Ok, this is one of these discussions where both sides are convinced they are right, and no one gives anything. After the first page, that's usually the way things are.

The DS and the PSP are aiming at fundamentally different markets. The DS is cheap (£100 new), is simple, and concentrates on the Nintendo factor, which is gameplay above all else, even if its fucking bizarre.

The PSP is expensive, and has a lot of extras for that. It is a lifestyle gadget, rather than an pure mobile gaming machine. That isn't to say that its games aren't good, they are just different from the DS. As stated above, a lot of PSP games are for sitting down and playing for a few hours. Proper games in a handheld format, rather than handheld games.

Both have their place. Some people will like one, some people will like the other. Some people will like both. And the internet is full of tossers.

My work here is done. :)
I agree entirely you old cockmuncher. I happen to prefer the DS but it's not morally reprehensible to prefer the PSP now is it :)






(it's just gh3y :p)






:D
 

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,730
Erm. So no ones played the Lotr PSP game? :p
 

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
674
Mobius said:
Erm. So no ones played the Lotr PSP game? :p
Not played it but it got an average score of 67.6% according to gamerankings so not that hot it seems.
 

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
15,260
Aada said:
Games/Gameplay now since Tris seems to think graphics = awsome game and thats pretty sad.
thats not what i think at all. it was origionally you who started off on the graphics, i was simply saying the psp graphics are better. i also said the psp games are better.
i didnt say psp games are better because the graphics are better.

soz, but it seems you contradict your self from one post to the next.

so we can conclude psp is superior!
 

Aada

Part of the furniture
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,716
tris- said:
thats not what i think at all. it was origionally you who started off on the graphics, i was simply saying the psp graphics are better. i also said the psp games are better.
i didnt say psp games are better because the graphics are better.

soz, but it seems you contradict your self from one post to the next.

so we can conclude psp is superior!
Yes we can conclude you know nothing.

Discussion ended.
 

PLightstar

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
2,103
Actually just have to point out that, coding movies to MP4 does not take as long as people think, also alot of web sites have PSP ready movies for you to download, like the fan made Star Wars movie as well as many other places.

and I still play some of the lineup games, Ridge Racer is still very addictive granted wipeout pure isn't played as much as it used to be, but with new maps and cars to download it keeps me coming back.

Anyway most launch line up titles for any system are never that great, mainly because the developers haven't learned how to use the system properly, just look at Halo loadtimes compared to Halo 2, Halo takes bloody ages (in xbox terms) to load a level when compared to the relative quickness of Halo 2's load times, a great example of a developer learning about the system. So by that theory PSP games are guna get a whole lot better and quicker to load and be more battery friendly. (Mind you I could say the same for the DS. TBH if I owned a DS the only game that appeals to me is Mario Kart, but thats me and thats why I bought a PSP) Problem with a discussion like this is that it will go on forever as people prefer the different systems a great example of this is the Xbox/PS2 arguement, and it does not help that I am keeping this arguement going. But hey if you can't rant on a forum where can you rant.
 

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
15,260
Aada said:
Yes we can conclude you know nothing.

Discussion ended.
why do i know nothing? because my oppinion is different to yours or because i like the psp and you dont?

your points were not altogether savoury to start with but i think what you just said puts a nice lid on it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom