Psp

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hey guys, I am considering buying a PSP mostly for 2 games, Football Manager 2006 and Lord of the Rings : Tactics. Has anyone played the Lotr game? I don't think FM2006 is out yet. My decision sort of rests on how good these 2 games are, cus I've never been much of a handheld fan, but they both look particularly interesting... ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Mobius said:
Hey guys, I am considering buying a PSP mostly for 2 games, Football Manager 2006 and Lord of the Rings : Tactics. Has anyone played the Lotr game? I don't think FM2006 is out yet. My decision sort of rests on how good these 2 games are, cus I've never been much of a handheld fan, but they both look particularly interesting... ;)

My advice is DON'T buy one they are simply not worth it i bought one at release with about 8 or so games and i thought it was awsome first but after a month it dawned on me its actually quite bad heres a few reasons.

1. Battery life anyone who says the battery life is good is talking crap it lasts 2-3 hours depending on what your doing if you travel alot its not worth it.

2. The GAMES are horrible no really the graphics suck for what it is have you seen SOCOM for the psp? damn when i bought the game i wanted to BARF it was that horrible to look at.:puke:

Comon we all know the PS2 is plagued with more crap games then good the same goes for the PSP.

3. Putting movies onto a memory stick = a chore and down right horrible implementation i had a 2 gig stick and it took ages to get a movie onto there alot of fiddling about with files etc make it a bag of shit. :puke:

4. Cost of UMD movies is this some sort of fucking sick joke? £20ish for a UMD? :puke:

If you want a real handheld machine get the Ninty DS the games are fucking awsome for this you also have over 200+ titles on the GBA to play on it.

Advance Wars = Awsome this game has had raving reviews

Mario 64 = Still a great game and i still play this game atm due to nearly getting all the stars.

Castlevania = great aswell.

Just a few games to name a few just go and check out Gamespot.com and look at the reviews most games get 8.5+ while the PSP games struggle to make it into the 7s-8s

Everyone said (including me the PSP would wipe out the DS) this is not true the DS is out selling the PSP in Japan/America now the honeymoon period has gone.

I sold my PSP to some rich geek on ebay for £600 and rebought a DS cheaper/better games haven't looked back since.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I have to agree. The DS is certainly the better of the two systems when it comes to games. There doesn't seem to have been anything released lately for the PSP that has made me think, WOW!

Hopefully that will change soon, and if someone manages to crack the latest firmware then I'll be using it for all my emulators again.

If you want to know how cool the DS is, just get either Mario Kart or Trauma : Surgeon under the knife. Fantastic game where you get to cut people open using the stylus ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Yeah the emus were the only thing going for the PSP but even that couldn't keep me interested in it any longer.

Have you seen the future games lineup? GARBAGE.

While the DS goes from strength to strength.

Advance Wars is really awsome, me and my girlfriend play 2 player all the time :) she kicks my arse though.

Will

/bin/su
On the DS, I have Warioware, Mario, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing (really).

The games just have a pick up and play factor that seems to be missing from the PSP. Nintendo are the masters of bizarre yet fun games, which is just what you want from a handheld.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I've been playing Everybody's Golf solid since I got the PSP. I love it. I honestly think the PSP's graphics capabilities piss all over the DS's.

And I'm a complete Nintendo fanboi btw, but I honestly believe the PSP is a far better handheld. Not least because it does so much more than play great looking and great playing games.

My future shopping list:

World Snooker Championship
Wipeout Pure
Ridge Racer
Lumines
Tales of Eternia
Mercury 1 & 2
Breath of Fire III
GTA: LCS
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom of Paradise

Plus more as they come out.

:D

Aada

Part of the furniture
Sure the graphics might be better (but if you call them Socom graphics nice there is something seriously wrong with you).

But at the end of the day the games for the PSP bar 1-3 are piss poor shoddy products at best.

The DS wins hands down for games and it always will do with its back catalogue of GBA games.

Sar

Part of the furniture
If I wanna play GBA games, I can play em.

On my GBA oddly ;)

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
DS for fun.

PSP for PS2 conversions and a few other oddities.

I dont actually own a PSP but i have been playing my mates PSP every day, he brings it to work and the only games I enjoy are RR5 and Everybodys Golf.

On my DS i have been religously playing MK which is brilliant.

I also feel the DS is more portable, I wouldnt worry about sitting on my DS whereas I'd cry if I sat on a PSP.

DS is fugly, the 2 screens tho are paramount to fun games. I want a portable system to give me fun, original games, I feel the PSP (sexeh) is more aimed at people who want to play conversions of PS2 favourites which I personally feel are more suited to home.

Ill get a PSP if GT is good tho.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Sar said:
If I wanna play GBA games, I can play em.

On my GBA oddly ;)

Yes but you can't play PS2 games on the PSP see what im getting at? thought not :m00:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
And you can't play Gamecube games on the DS which is the equivalent to what you're saying.

Aada

Part of the furniture
nath said:
And you can't play Gamecube games on the DS which is the equivalent to what you're saying.

yeah but the DS games actually look better then the PSP games.. i don't need to do that.

The psp games look horried i can't think of a game besides RR that shows off what it can do and have you seen the LINEUP? its fucking awful.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
yeah but the DS games actually look better then the PSP games..

Well that's a matter of opinion - and it's wrong. DS games look distinctly average, the PSP games I've seen look fantastic.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
both consoles have different graphic styles.
going by the fact i dont like cartoon graphics i can say all DS games look graphically shite.

even MG:Ac!d has better graphics than any DS game i played when i had my DS.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
the main thing that would stop me getting a DS is the screens, i mean EWW or what - 2 screens and 2 tiny screens at that, it just looks fuckin cheapo. When u see psp with it's big fat large widescreen for me in design terms there is just no way id get a ds.

Aada

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
both consoles have different graphic styles.
going by the fact i dont like cartoon graphics i can say all DS games look graphically shite.

even MG:Ac!d has better graphics than any DS game i played when i had my DS.

Damn what a load of crap.. i bought pretty much every single PSP game out for it and its crap the gameplay on every game sucks the games are average at best.

Here go to www.gamespot.com and check the socom screens seriously when i bought that damn game i took it straight back it was so awful.

Everything about the PSP is wrong..

The overpriced crappy games

The shitty life battery

The overpriced UMD £20 for one of these? :puke:

The implementation of putting a film/show onto a memory stick = tiresome and downright awful.

The only good thing the PSP has going for it is it looks like a nice bit of kit.

The PSP is being outsold by the DS in almost every major country America/Japan etc i cba to dish up the facts just google it.

tris-

why do you say every single game has the same graphics as SOCOM?

i dont see any problems with the PSP. you cant even do half the stuff on a DS.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Theres nothing wrong with all the graphics and gameplay for the PSP have you played Lumines such an addictive game and has great production values.

and Smackdown vrs Raw is great aside from the loading times, which can be shortened by doing a few things, but the gameplay is great, granted I don't own a PS2 so the comparisons between the two versions are lost on me.

and Virtua Tennis is just plain fun.

Granted the PSP is great yet is good but not great, but that will change.

The DS (apart from Mario Kart) doens't really appeal to me, i've played a few games on displays around various shops and just thought 'meh'. I've had my PSP almost a year now and I have not thought once that it was a waste of my time or money.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Got to say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the PSP games range at the moment. GTA is OK, but everything else is a bit...shit really :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
DS games beat the PSP hands down the games are addictive and fun to play.

When i had my PSP i would switch on a game and switch it back off 15mins later due to lack of boredom.

Advance Wars Duel Strike is awsome it really is an addictive game and i play for hours me and my gf sit down stairs and she kicks my arse :(

Animal Crossing is pretty cool too.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Aada said:
Damn what a load of crap.. i bought pretty much every single PSP game out for it and its crap the gameplay on every game sucks the games are average at best.

Here go to www.gamespot.com and check the socom screens seriously when i bought that damn game i took it straight back it was so awful.

PSP SOCOM:

928395_20051026_screen003.jpg

Not that bad!

For a direct comparison, let's look at 1 game on both formats:

DS: Prince of Persia:

926973_20051110_screen002.jpg

PSP: Prince of Persia:

926937_20050926_screen004.jpg

Which looks worse?

Hmmm.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Actually here's a fairer comparison, as those aren't the same game above:

Burnout Legends:

PSP:

burnout-legends-20050912104248843.jpg

And DS:

burnout-legends-20051114033109243.jpg

Now, what were you saying about the DS's graphical superiority over the PSP?

*cough*bullshit*cough*

tris-

Aada said:
When i had my PSP i would switch on a game and switch it back off 15mins later due to lack of boredom.

lack of boredom - surely thats a good thing?
but what is your oppinion on these graphics comparisons?

Aada

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
lack of boredom - surely thats a good thing?
but what is your oppinion on these graphics comparisons?

I didn't say the DS has better graphics yes the graphics are better on the PSP but they are UGLY to look at atleast the DS graphics don't make you go blind when you look at it.
But if you call them graphics on the PSP great then i think you need to go and get your eyes tested.

I'd rather look at cute 2d visuals then that shit from SOCOM or any other PSP game. I mean in SOCOM was there any point in adding that fucktastic tree? does't it even look like a tree? the branches if you can call them branches are sort of suspended in midair not bad for £179 bit of kit :)

Were talking gameplay here fellas remember that thing?

The PSP sucks in every department apart from the smart design.

Graphics yes better but nice? :puke:

DS yes the graphics aren't as good but while being 2dish they are better to look at then most of PSP games?

Gameplay hm not much there either apart from GTA:LS :puke:

DS lets see: Advance Wars, Mario 64, Castlevania, Mario Kart , Animal Crossing to name a few.

Battery life craptastic.. any of you actually took one of these things on a train journey ? well they tend to bum out half way through a 3 hour+ plus journey.

DS? you could probably get 2 days worth of play out of this.

Overpriced godawful games.

You can watch movies on the PSP whoop di do they take ages to whack onto the memory stick and after doing it a few times the can't be fucking arsed factor sets in. Infact i don't actually know any IRL friends/work mates who bother with putting shit onto the memory stick anymore.

UMD movies overpriced damn i see HMV/GAME selling these for £18-£20 a pop .

I know you guys love your PSP and will never say much bad about it but the OP asked what PSP were like i gave an answer from someone who owned a PSP.

Whats wrong with the DS? ok i have some niggles well just one actually :

The design not the best in the world im sure they could have come up with something better. But the clamshell is good for 1 reason = it protects the screen etc from getting annoying scratches and damages.

Someone mentioned they didn't like the 2 screens.. whats not to like? in RPG games everything you need is on both screens one screen is where you play the other is dedicated to the map/items etc ITS perfect for that.

In my last post i meant i get bored 15mins after playing.

BTW the prince of persia for the DS is a different game entirely its strategy btw.

tris-

when your comparing the psp to the ds, you cant really use things like UMD is overpriced therfore DS is better.
UMD movies are something extra, if you want them.
its just as easy to say the PSP is better because you CAN have UMD movies regardless of price.

ive owned a DS and i own a PSP.
imo the PSP is better in everyway, even if i pretend there is no MP3 player, photo album thingybob or UMD movies etc.

i maybe biased though, considering i dont like the DS style of games or the graphics style. im not a sony fan boy either, i hated everything PS after they finished with the PSX.

for me, the psp is like a portable console. the ds is just a glorified handheld shenanigans. all it offers over previous GBs is a touch screen and 64 bit graphics.

Aada

Part of the furniture
tris- said:
when your comparing the psp to the ds, you cant really use things like UMD is overpriced therfore DS is better.
UMD movies are something extra, if you want them.
its just as easy to say the PSP is better because you CAN have UMD movies regardless of price.

ive owned a DS and i own a PSP.
imo the PSP is better in everyway, even if i pretend there is no MP3 player, photo album thingybob or UMD movies etc.

i maybe biased though, considering i dont like the DS style of games or the graphics style. im not a sony fan boy either, i hated everything PS after they finished with the PSX.

for me, the psp is like a portable console. the ds is just a glorified handheld shenanigans. all it offers over previous GBs is a touch screen and 64 bit graphics.

What does the PSP offer then? not much apart from the shitty games that are being released this year.. the lineup is awful.

GL with it anyway.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Aada said:
I didn't say the DS has better graphics yes the graphics are better on the PSP but they are UGLY to look at atleast the DS graphics don't make you go blind when you look at it.

Er, wtf does that even mean?

But if you call them graphics on the PSP great then i think you need to go and get your eyes tested.

Well if you're saying the PSP's gfx are shit, then wtf do you call the DS's gfx in comparison, considering you have just admitted (despite claiming the opposite earlier) that the PSP's gfx are better than those of the DS?

Were talking gameplay here fellas remember that thing?

No we weren't, we were specifically talking about the graphical capabilities of both handhelds.

The PSP sucks in every department apart from the smart design.

Patently not.

Graphics yes better but nice? :puke:

Inherently, yes. Durrrrr... :twak:

DS yes the graphics aren't as good but while being 2dish they are better to look at then most of PSP games?

Again, contradictory. You're stating the DS's gfx are worse, yet somehow better to look at? What?

Gameplay hm not much there either apart from GTA:LS :puke:

And all those games I mentioned above.

DS lets see: Advance Wars, Mario 64, Castlevania, Mario Kart , Animal Crossing to name a few.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

Battery life craptastic.. any of you actually took one of these things on a train journey ? well they tend to bum out half way through a 3 hour+ plus journey.

Odd, mine sems to last about 7 hours or soo of solid gameplay.

DS? you could probably get 2 days worth of play out of this.

So?

Overpriced godawful games.

Er, no. The games are roughly the same price as those on the DS, and gameplay is down to personal preference.

You can watch movies on the PSP whoop di do they take ages to whack onto the memory stick and after doing it a few times the can't be fucking arsed factor sets in. Infact i don't actually know any IRL friends/work mates who bother with putting shit onto the memory stick anymore.

Well I can fill my 1gig stick in about 3 minutes. Dunno what sort of PC you're running, but it must predate USB.

UMD movies overpriced damn i see HMV/GAME selling these for £18-£20 a pop.

Ah right, because they're so much more expensive than the movies I can buy for a DS....

I know you guys love your PSP and will never say much bad about it but the OP asked what PSP were like i gave an answer from someone who owned a PSP.

As did I, and others. Just picking you up on a few very flawed arguments about the PSP.

The design not the best in the world im sure they could have come up with something better. But the clamshell is good for 1 reason = it protects the screen etc from getting annoying scratches and damages.

Yeah, and I got a pouch for my PSP in the pack.

BTW the prince of persia for the DS is a different game entirely its strategy btw.

I know, hence the second post where I said it was a fairer comparison.

And let's not even compare the two systems versions of King Kong:

peter-jacksons-king-kong-20051202053616360.jpg

Socom graphically pisses all over THAT from a great height.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
This thread has seems to have entered the my consoles better than your console territory, I remember those days when I was 10 arguing over spectrum or commodore :)

I'll just say it's all down to personal taste, I own both have 6 games for my psp the two that have kept me most occupied are Ridge Racer & Lumnies, I don't really go back to the others I have, on the DS I regulary switch between Mario Kart, NintendoDogs (I may be 20ish but I do love those little doggies :)) Animal Crossing & Trauma Center, there are so many more game I want to buy for it also, however I can only see maybe 1 or 2 psp titles that have caught my eye.

So IMO the psp is obviously the better piece of kit from the standpoint of playing videos, mp3's, graphically and so on but from a gaming side of things I pick up my DS alot more than my psp.

I'm glad I own both though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom