News PS3 Movie Store Live

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've just discovered the first epic failure, and it's a big one.

Looks like most (or certainly all the movies i've looked at) are in stereo sound with no AAC or surround options - what a crock of fucking shite, tell me I'm missing something...

Aada

Part of the furniture
Really? that sucks as i was planning on trying the service out, guess ill stick with the Zune Marketplace on the 360.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Another blow for legal downloads. When will they learn that we want high quality and not half arsed efforts?

old.user4556

I've been reading that there might be an option to select something other than stereo, I will report back once my first download has happened. I've never seen the sixth sense before, so downloaded that in HD which is 6 GB in size and cost £3.50 for a 14 day rental.

Now, I'm connected at 8 megabits per sec to O2 and if the connection is phat enough I can max it out with a sustanined 800-ish kbytes per sec, which means that 6 GB should take around 128 minutes or a couple of hours to download. Well, I started the download and the progress indicator gave me epic LOL when it said "time remaining - 600 minutes".

Yes, ten hours for one film. That should tell you the bandwidth of the movie store; one of it's biggest complaints to date.

Edit: saw Yaka's post.

this includes the hd movies?

Well the audio listings for the HD ones I've looked at all say "Stereo", however I have read there may be an option to select a different audio track (i.e. AAC) once downloaded.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
6gb would only be 720p.... so we aren't getting fullHD then?

old.user4556

Looks like it. So far, this is a dog's dinner.

No proper HD, no surround sound, no point.

Mind you, if you don't have a big ereet home cinema setup and/or don't have a 1080p projector/TV, you'd never care or know the difference. It's like iTunes and MP3s - they're shit quality to audiophiles but the Joe Average majority don't care.

I'm starting to think the PS3 movie store is going to be a half way house between on demand movies / Sky Movies and blu-ray, but the crown very firmly held by blu-ray for quite some time to come. From this perspective, it really could be great.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It makes the MS offering seem far better. At least you get surround sound there. Pricing of both is too much though.

old.user4556

What are the current MS offerings / pricings?

I'm starting to think I might throw some cash at a 360, particularly if it's 1080p and surround.

Blu-ray ftw however.

old.user4556

That's what puts me off the 360 and has done since day 1 - noisy, fugly, doesn't fit in a sea of piano black goodness on Atacama stands; and that's before I've even turned it on.

Will check the thread out Chet - cheers. Good shout on the 1080p rips, are they true rips with absolutely no compression?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That is a question for yaka, I've not had the patience to download anything but 720p rips so far.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i love the 1080p streaming on live, so it plays right away, great for more on the whim rentals you do when pissed with mates. the noise has never been a problem for me, its quieter than a PC. I do agree that they are too expensive, would be nice if they done a lovefilm type deal. I would watch a movie everynight then

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
£3.49 for 14 days SD rental.
£4.49 for 14 days HD rental.
£8.99-£11.99 to own an SD copy.

The rental prices are less than Sky Box Office but with SBO you get 1080i with surround sound. I can get a DVD of most of the films for less than Sony are asking so there's no point. You also get surround sound on most DVDs.

Now if they started offering new releases of American TV shows in HD before they air in the UK for 99p, THEN I'd be interested. Until then, I'll stick with my current setup.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
xbox it depends on the age of the film but usually around the same price tho its 7 days and its 24 hours from when you start watching it

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Another problem with downloading HD movies is people's internet connection. Im personally with Virgin Media 20mb cable, this has a 3gb/day limit, to which they then cut the download speed to 500k/sec. 3gb/day is actually a quite good limit compared to some people, like on sky/orange/o2 etc, your lucky if you get a 3gb/month with these companies.

what needs to happen really is, Microsoft/Sony need to come to some kind of deal with the ISP's so that any movie you stream doesnt effect your daily useage... or something, because if you hit your limit your fucked for the day, if not the month.

Aada

Part of the furniture
You don't have to wait for the movie to download now on xbl it streams in lovely HD straight away so glad they changed with last weeks update.

I use the movie marketplace a few times a month and it's pretty cool browsing through the movies picking one and it starts instantly.

I don't think the pricing is too bad doesn't exactly break the bank.

Watched last house on the left last week in HD and was very impressed with the quality and the streaming.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Yeah one of the reasons i have the 50meg line is there are 4 of us in our house with Xboxs so thats alot of bandwidth right away. Then we all use iplayer etc everyday. We were reaching our limit early everynight.

50meg is brilliant btw if you can afford it

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
You don't have to wait for the movie to download now on xbl it streams in lovely HD straight away so glad they changed with last weeks update.

I use the movie marketplace a few times a month and it's pretty cool browsing through the movies picking one and it starts instantly.

I don't think the pricing is too bad doesn't exactly break the bank.

Watched last house on the left last week in HD and was very impressed with the quality and the streaming.

I was in the preview so had it awhile now. First film we watched was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askiban or whatever it is. Really amazing in 1080p HD. And very impressed with it starting instantly

old.user4556

I was in the preview so had it awhile now. First film we watched was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askiban or whatever it is. Really amazing in 1080p HD. And very impressed with it starting instantly

I just need to set something straight here which i'm sure you're aware - I very much doubt the 1080p from these movies stores will have the same bitrate and ergo quality of blu-ray movies.

There's quite a lot of 'zomg' over 1080p without the same concern on how much compression or reduced bandwidth is going on.

I think my expectations were/are too high, i'll stick with blu-ray.

old.user4556

Well the audio listings for the HD ones I've looked at all say "Stereo", however I have read there may be an option to select a different audio track (i.e. AAC) once downloaded.

The download has finished, haven't watched it yet but I went into information and it does indeed say it's an AAC audio codec, so fingers crossed it's a 5.1 encoded track :). Will let you know.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
on psn we prolly wont see 1080p for a while yet given sonys intrest in bluray we wont see a improvement anytime soon.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I just need to set something straight here which i'm sure you're aware - I very much doubt the 1080p from these movies stores will have the same bitrate and ergo quality of blu-ray movies.

There's quite a lot of 'zomg' over 1080p without the same concern on how much compression or reduced bandwidth is going on.

I think my expectations were/are too high, i'll stick with blu-ray.

Well i personally couldnt tell the difference between the bluray and stream of Harry Potter and neither could anyone watching it with me. Of course if you pause every single frame and scrutinise it you will see a difference but just enjoying it you cant imo

old.user4556

Well i personally couldnt tell the difference between the bluray and stream of Harry Potter and neither could anyone watching it with me. Of course if you pause every single frame and scrutinise it you will see a difference but just enjoying it you cant imo

and I refer you to my post saying:

Big G said:
Mind you, if you don't have a big ereet home cinema setup and/or don't have a 1080p projector/TV, you'd never care or know the difference. It's like iTunes and MP3s - they're shit quality to audiophiles but the Joe Average majority don't care.

I'm starting to think the PS3 movie store is going to be a half way house between on demand movies / Sky Movies and blu-ray, but the crown very firmly held by blu-ray for quite some time to come. From this perspective, it really could be great.

For someone like me, I absolutely will notice on the size of screen I have; so it'll never take blu-rays place in my home. Ever. However as I said above, it'll probably be wasted on Joe Public.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Sorry i didnt see that post

yeah i dont have a 70 inch telly and i use headphones so it does me just fine

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
That's what puts me off the 360 and has done since day 1 - noisy, fugly, doesn't fit in a sea of piano black goodness on Atacama stands; and that's before I've even turned it on.

Will check the thread out Chet - cheers. Good shout on the 1080p rips, are they true rips with absolutely no compression?

On newsgroups I have the choice of what res I download, so if I choose 1080p then it is. Dark Knight in 1080p is cum inducing.

I do have to say that when it comes to consoles and as far as I am concerned what Yaka says goes. A man who knows his shit.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
A 1080p rip isn't always going to be a true rip with no compression though, quality will also depend on whos done the encoding, usually they won't have the HD audio even on 1:1 (talking 25gb+ for 1:1 with HD audio) so if you have a decent home cinema setup you're better off sticking with blu-ray for the movies you really like.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
on 1:1 you do tend to get hd audio unless the peeps releasing have done a crap job or its rippped from a tv chan

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I've not come across many with HD audio tbh I normally only see them with DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom