PS3 has lost to Wii and Xbox360 (discuss)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
wot ever the specs of the ps4 may be on paper, thyel prolly chop stuff in the end, look at the NGP game devs were happy with it specialy with the mem now thats being downsized

Yeah that is a bit sad but not suprising, just wonder if it can still play the stuff they demoed when they were using twice the memory?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I think in the games market now the hardware people tend to expect a lot more than they used to from the software people in terms of efficient coding and new faster techniques to get more and more out of the hardware. In real terms that is no bad thing - nobody wants to launch a console at £400 just because of the hardware in it - and there is only so much loss per unit Sony and MS (yes and Nintendo) are willing to take.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nintendo? Don't think they belong in the comparison, they've not got the ability to withstand hardware losses.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Having 2 sku's with different ram amounts makes no sense at all.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
When you think about it, it is quite a chellenge to come up with the next generation. Lets give credit where it is due here - whether you like them or not, Nintendo have set the trend with the Wii and the DS for doing something different and thinking outside the box. MS have followed and improved on that idea and Sony have done very much the same - but where do you go from there? How do you push the envelope and give that new console a unique Interesting Selling Point to set it apart? You need something new, something that is going to wow the public and something the software developers will jump at and take full advantage of. Not exactly an easy task is it?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't forget the Playstation came out of Nintendo and Sony's relationship. Nintendo could have been the lone top dog if that had gone a different way.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
When you think about it, it is quite a chellenge to come up with the next generation. Lets give credit where it is due here - whether you like them or not, Nintendo have set the trend with the Wii and the DS for doing something different and thinking outside the box. MS have followed and improved on that idea and Sony have done very much the same - but where do you go from there? How do you push the envelope and give that new console a unique Interesting Selling Point to set it apart? You need something new, something that is going to wow the public and something the software developers will jump at and take full advantage of. Not exactly an easy task is it?

I dunno, what did Playstation have over SNES/Mega Drive? What did the PS2 have over the PSX? Just because Nintendo decided to have motion controls one generation doesn't mean everyone always has to make huge innovations from now on.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I dunno, what did Playstation have over SNES/Mega Drive? What did the PS2 have over the PSX? Just because Nintendo decided to have motion controls one generation doesn't mean everyone always has to make huge innovations from now on.

Snes, Mega Drive, even PS One - they were a generation or two ago now literally - I think current young gamers - their next target actually - do expect a certain amount of innovation. I'm not sure slightly nicer graphics and a bigger hard drive will do the trick, especially if they are looking at another "10 year plan".

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Lulz Security® (LulzSec) releases

1,000,000+ unencrypted users, unencrypted admin accounts, government and military passwords saved in plaintext. #PSN compromised.

lest hope to hell next gen of consoles will have vouchers from day for purchases

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I could spec out a console tomorrow that would obliterate any of the current systems and still be more affordable than the PS3 was at launch. The truth is that these consoles are holding us back, we haven't see anything amazing on PC for over 3 years because it isn't economically viable but the hardware is capable of far far more than it is currently doing.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
cant deny the effect piracy on pc. even on steam unless its majore release like cod/DNF etc peeps. eveyone prolly looks at iD software and doom3 as an example. makes you wonder tho stunning as Rage looks how much better it would be if cramack was just concentrating on an engine just for the PC

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
cant deny the effect piracy on pc. even on steam unless its majore release like cod/DNF etc peeps. eveyone prolly looks at iD software and doom3 as an example. makes you wonder tho stunning as Rage looks how much better it would be if cramack was just concentrating on an engine just for the PC

It would be brilliant, just as the quake engine was back at launch. Consolising it has delayed launch 3 years and probably killed any chance of regaining any kind of dominance for iD.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
So where are we with PS3 and 360 sales?

360 ahead worldwide by three million or so, PS3 pwning in Europe and getting pwned in North America, infact it is falling further behind over there every month. The lost marketshare must be a big pill for Sony to swallow. They have gone for 60-70% last generation to 25% or so this time around, that equates to billions of revenue going elsewhere and you can see it in the financial results when you compare Sony profts from PS2 year 5 and PS3 year 5.

Microsoft haven't gained the ground they should have, that said they have doubled marketshare in North America so they still have good reason to be happy. The entertainment division is delivering strong profits now as well, it has been performing very well for a couple of years and is still showing growth even though the console is realistically entering the last 18 months of it's lifecycle.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
In other news, Nintendo stock has dropped more than 12% of it's value since the Wii U was announced. The markets don't seem impressed at all.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
didnt that happen when the wii was annouced, grossly unpowered compared to the 360 and ps3 thier shares dropped then as well

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
didnt that happen when the wii was annouced, grossly unpowered compared to the 360 and ps3 thier shares dropped then as well

It did, this time is a bit more serious though because many market analysts were expecting alot more ooomph from the announcement but it just didn't happen, it wasn't what people expected and isn't the maninstream revolution that Wii was. Also some of the criticism has been fierce and the rumours of pricing haven't helped either, if it goes live at anywhere near £400 then it is going to be a slow start next generation for them. I don't see Microsoft or Sony coming in at over £299/$399 again, especially Sony who need to rip back a big chunk of marketshare. Remember that both will be deliving much more powerful hardware, visually way beyond Wii U.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Wii U shows that Nintendo have their head in the right place in knowing their market with the whole "we fucked up and split the gamers into two groups" with the Wii but I'm not sure they've got the product this time.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The Wii U shows that Nintendo have their head in the right place in knowing their market with the whole "we fucked up and split the gamers into two groups" with the Wii but I'm not sure they've got the product this time.

Yeah nintendo definately created a brand new market there, but that market is going to want as many new gimmicks as possible, and if they can't deliver on that, themarket they created is of a type that will see no reason to upgrade to the new console - why get Wii U when you are happy bouncing up and down looking undignified on your Wii board?

Speaking of new shiny things - having given it some thought and having recently seen visual evidence of me using Kinnect (not a great look for anyone I should think), the company that comes up with a dignified form of motion tracking will be the one who will win this whole affair.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
the Kinect voice recognition stuff was top notch, but i think Move is a far better system than the others

As for the Wii-U i can see people lining up to buy it but it was nothing all that impressive tbh.

Considering you can do all that and more with a Vita i am sure Sony will capitalized, very disappointing with the Nintendo conference personally, remove all the multi-plats and the Microsoft one was barely better

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
We don't use Kinnect at home - one simple reason, my partner is in a wheelchair and kinnect doesn't see people who are sat down (like wheelchair users or fat lazy gamers who have no wish to stand) (brilliant move there by MS).

Move does work though, which makes it a better choice for us, not that we use it a lot.

When I say I saw pictures the other day of me using Kinnect, it was at a friends house. I expect to see them on facebook at some point :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i was sold on move when i tried killzone 3 works really well in an fps, but aside from that its not been impleanted in the games ive got and prolly will be getting on ps3.

as for kinect asside from playing with a couple of games ive not thouched it. tho its gonna change wehn Mizuguchi's Children of Eden comes out next week.

also wouldnt pin so much on the vita to ps3 thing sony tried with the PSP and PS£ but gave up for some reason within months, games that were to have it had the feature quickly dropped

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom