PS2 titles

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Im loooking to get a couple of newish games for my ps2 as Im bored of my current ones.

Anyone have any recommendations?

i like my rpgs, stratergys and a bit of things like Grand Theft Auto and godfather.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I don't fancy any of the next gen consoles at the moment, both due to price and the fact I hardly have the time to play them :p

I already have all the GTA games, apart from the stories versions. Completed Godfather too many times now.

shadow Hearts Covenant, FF10 and FF7 are rounding up the rpgs side.

And novelties like original Grand turismo, original Resident Evil series and Man hunt.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
i don't fancy any of the next gen consoles at the moment, both due to price and the fact i hardly have the time to play them :p

i already have all the gta games, apart from the stories versions. Completed godfather too many times now.

Shadow hearts covenant, ff10 and ff7 are rounding up the rpgs side.

And novelties like original grand turismo, original resident evil series and man hunt.

ff12

Thadius

Part of the furniture
A lot of my friends have tried and and said its a bag of knackers. Im just waiting for it t appear in my local Gamestation, not many places stock ps2 games :(

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
FF12 is absolute shit, the combat system is horrific

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
yeah they tried to copy things like WoW with the combat system and you just don't feel in control of the combat. The characters are rubbish as well.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Thats what my mate said. He also said the camera angles were a bag of knackers. I guess best way is to buy it, then take it back if I dont like it and swap it for another :p

00dave

you can have my copy if you like but I will require "favors" :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
okami, mgs3, ico,shadows of the colossus,rez, silent hill 2, kingdom haerts, zone of enders 1 and 2

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm playing FF12 atm.

Tbh - I'm enjoying it although there are many reasons why I shouldn't. Off the top of my head:

1.) The story and characters are shit compared to other FF games. Apart from Balthier most of the characters have no personality whatsoever.
2.) The randomness is a stupid way to make people play longer. Chests in certain areas have a % chance of appearing and if they do they have a % chance of containing some specific uber-item. Play thru from save point. If no uber item then reload. Totally dumb.
3.) There's no reason to use offensive magic. Weapons >>>>> magic. Some utitlity spells are helpful like Protect and Blind but actually attcking with magic ? Pointless. If you know where to look you can always get more powerful weapons than spells. Cool weapons are just tricky to get at low levels read gamefaqs or get lucky and you'll find them. Cool spells are story-point locked. You won't get em until you've completed certain parts of the game.

And so on...

However, I am enjoying it, and I cut out the pointless grind by sitting my chars in the jellies room overnight with Break and Charge gambits :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Silent Hill is the absolute best thing Playstation gave us.

1 is scary despite the PS1 gfx. Play in the dark.
2 is a masterpiece. Brill story. Gameplay a bit lacking but it doesn't matter.
3 has good gameplay and some of best gfx PS2 offered.
4 has some cool moments and great gfx still.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I completed most of the Silent Hills games, aaprt from the one in the mall(3?)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
FF12 is absolute shit, the combat system is horrific

lol....

yeah they tried to copy things like WoW with the combat system and you just don't feel in control of the combat. The characters are rubbish as well.

Don't feel in control? lol, I'm dying here...

Thats what my mate said. He also said the camera angles were a bag of knackers. I guess best way is to buy it, then take it back if I dont like it and swap it for another :p

It's a free rotating camera. How can the angle be knackers -- you move it wherever you want it =/

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
2.) The randomness is a stupid way to make people play longer. Chests in certain areas have a % chance of appearing and if they do they have a % chance of containing some specific uber-item. Play thru from save point. If no uber item then reload. Totally dumb.

That's only a 'problem' if you're actually looking this shit up before hand, which is a bad idea on a first play through :) You should go through the game blissfully ignorant of such things!

Yaka

Part of the furniture
I completed most of the Silent Hills games, aaprt from the one in the mall(3?)

story wise part 3 gets better towrds the end.

you guys should also try siren its from the creator of silent hill games

Wij

I am a FH squatter
That's only a 'problem' if you're actually looking this shit up before hand, which is a bad idea on a first play through :) You should go through the game blissfully ignorant of such things!

I have (except for Zodiac Spear) but when I wanted to play-thru to beat all the secret bosses I found this shit out and thought it was dumb!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
story wise part 3 gets better towrds the end.

you guys should also try siren its from the creator of silent hill games

Anyone who hasn't finished all Silent Hills is teh gh3y !!!

Thadius

Part of the furniture
It was on my Uncles PS2 one night when I was babysitting! (before I installed daoc on his computer!)

I started playing San Andreas again, Grove Street represent yo!

00dave

Don't feel in control? lol, I'm dying here...

I wish you would. You're not in control of all your characters at all times are you, not like you are in the turn based glory that is FF7. Face it FF12 was shite end of :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I wish you would. You're not in control of all your characters at all times are you, not like you are in the turn based glory that is FF7. Face it FF12 was shite end of :)

Just because they can do things on their own doesn't mean you're not in control. At any time, you can tell them to cast a spell, use an item, attack a different enemy, anything and everything.

It's like saying you're not in control of Cloud using a Counter materia because he sometimes attacks on his own... lol.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I quite liked 12, not even close to being as good as 7 or 8 (yes I liked 8!) but still very playable.

00dave

I got bored of it very quickly, can't even remember how far I got before I gave up. Admitedly it wasn't as bad as FF9 but still a pretty weak game compared to the rest.

ST because its not turn based you cannot possible control all the characters actions, you have to rely on the poor ai to back you up most of the time. The only difference between that and a bad WoW raid is that at least the ai won't have to go to bed or have their tea half way through.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I found 8 more enjoyable than 7, and I fucking loved 7.

Shame I lent my mate disc 2 of ff8 and he lost it, meaning I cant play 8 any more :(

Have any of you tried the GTA Stories games? I had a tickle at Vice City Stories once while we were on a coach trip to Birmingham, that was about it.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I agree with Dave, the lack of a turn based system in 12 really ruined it for me, I felt rushed to attack and didn't enjoy it as much, but each to their own. Anyone know whether the new FF will have the same type of play?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I got bored of it very quickly, can't even remember how far I got before I gave up. Admitedly it wasn't as bad as FF9 but still a pretty weak game compared to the rest.

ST because its not turn based you cannot possible control all the characters actions, you have to rely on the poor ai to back you up most of the time. The only difference between that and a bad WoW raid is that at least the ai won't have to go to bed or have their tea half way through.

FF12 basically was turn based if you used wait mode (the game pauses when you're in the menu, hence, you can easily control all 3 members). Same as FF7, FF8, etc. You attack when your character is ready.

I don't think I need to argue with you anymore. Calling FF9 bad... wow. You obviously have poor taste xD

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with Dave, the lack of a turn based system in 12 really ruined it for me, I felt rushed to attack and didn't enjoy it as much, but each to their own. Anyone know whether the new FF will have the same type of play?

In FF13 you'll only directly control the main character. It'll be an ATB system, so it's about as turn based as any ATB FF was. You control party members by selecting their 'job' and overall formation. Or something. Exact details are scarce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom