proxy server

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
anyone here happen to know how to set one up?

or know where i can get access to decent ones (pay/free don't matter) which operate on port 80? which allow more than just the standard web browsing (port 15020) to be exact

i need it to be able to use irc as this shitty firewall has everything shut and admins dont really want to open ports :l

thanks

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
If it's just for IRC access and you have a connection that's up whilst you need access elsewhere it's probably easiest to look into HTTP tunneling. I've used HTTport mainly due to it being free (their webby is down for me at the moment). You run the server on a PC that has an open connection to the net and the client on the firewalled PC. Applications are instructed to send net traffic to 127.0.0.1 on the client port. The client then encrypts the data and passes it to the server on the other machine via the port you specified (normally 80). Be aware that admins will get suspicious if you're passing large ammounts of data over port 80 and can stop you by banning the proxy server IP range.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
im using a prog similar to that one atm

however i dont have my own server which is the key problem

i need the proxy itself :(

thanks for your help though

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Word of warning... if you are using a work or college or similar PC and you attempt to bypass their security you could land yourself in trouble.
If it is a company network then you are risking your job, and possibly worse if anything bad happens as a result.
I am not sure how schools and colleges react to this, but at the least I would guess you would lose network privileges.

Just in case everyone reading this was thinking what a good idea it was.... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom