Programming!

moop

Fledgling Freddie
Why is it that you either have too many projects at once or none at all?

Think this list shows how much of an obsessive programmer I am:
-PHP/MySQL Management site for uni team project (forums and task scheduling)
-Perl timatabling site for uni team project (then gotta be converted to PHP/MySQL for the next bit)
-C based stock control system with some perl pre/post processing scripts and a VB (shudders) interface
-Cross platform clone of Primesolver (old 2D physics sim/game from the Acorn Archimedes) written in C, using SDL for graphics and sound, currently running on FreeBSD

Also, anyone know a decent software house near Worcestershire or Nottingham that would like someone to do a year in industry placement? :)

P

ProfPete

PHP/MySQL
C++
VB (cos I can only do console stuff in C++ at the moment)

And trying to learn how to use Linux at the same time :)

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
ProfPete said:
PHP/MySQL
C++

linux.... mmmm..... atm im buying junk for my old pc to make a linux box :) for diff uses :) one of them is IPSTABLES \o/

breal

Fledgling Freddie
ProfPete said:
PHP/MySQL
C++

I have been using C++ for a few years, recently moving to C# after a couple of years with Java, and I find C# ridiculously easy to use... if you are learning it may be wise to start with C# and "learn backwards" as it were....

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Java, PHP, Perl, SQL e.t.c. Have promised myself that I'll learn C++ at some point.

No projects at the moment other than the ones I'm paid for. It's funny how the enthusiasm goes once you start doing it for a living :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Gurnox said:
No projects at the moment other than the ones I'm paid for. It's funny how the enthusiasm goes once you start doing it for a living :)
So true, sadly. :(

Luribomb

Fledgling Freddie
PHP, SQL, Java, basics of ASP, VB, learning C++ atm (this is all selfstudy ofc, I havent even passed highschool yet)

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
Java and VB.NET here. I do know some SQL as well, but I suck at it =p Getting my bachelor of information technology in half a year.

bob

Fledgling Freddie
i'm in my first of a 4 year computing course manchester met, we're mainly doing java and principles of programming in my programming module atm, i know a lot of php so i'm picking it up pretty quick although we are doing really simple stuff this year.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Currently working on a PHP front end for an old Access database backend. (The company didn't want it converted to an SQL db :()
Other little bits and pieces. I really must finish my 3D clone of Asteriods one day.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm a sas programmer which extracts, munges, analyses and presents data pulled from Oracle databases.

G

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Whipped said:
Currently working on a PHP front end for an old Access database backend. (The company didn't want it converted to an SQL db :()
Other little bits and pieces. I really must finish my 3D clone of Asteriods one day.

What?!?!?!? Do companies still use Access as their primary DB???? Sounds like you should find yourself a new job. Or kill whoever thinks that using Access in place of a 'proper' enterprise DB is a good idea.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Big G said:
I'm a sas programmer which extracts, munges, analyses and presents data pulled from Oracle databases.

G

You have my sympathy :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gurnox said:
You have my sympathy :)

No sympathy required, sas jobs pay extremley well.

Some nice contracts out there for pharms paying ~£500 per day.

G

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Big G said:
No sympathy required, sas jobs pay extremley well.

Some nice contracts out there for pharms paying ~£500 per day.

G

Whack.

Certainly a lot more than I get at the mo. Perhaps it should be me who's being offered the sympathy :)

soulthief

Fledgling Freddie
Gurnox said:
What?!?!?!? Do companies still use Access as their primary DB???? Sounds like you should find yourself a new job. Or kill whoever thinks that using Access in place of a 'proper' enterprise DB is a good idea.

You'd be surprised to be honest. For a smaller company there is a lot of hassle and cost that goes with implementing and maintaining even a simple-to-use DB server like SQL Server 2000 compared to an .mdb file.

Of course, once you get above a certain number of users the data corruption problems become quite silly, but for many small systems Access does just fine.

Then they try to use it across a WAN :)

I_R_BIG_TROLL

Fledgling Freddie
My enthusiasm is also waning for coding atm - due the copious amounts of sh!t you have to take working as a developer in a non-development company. Currently Im rolling out Sharepoint Portal Server accross the enterprise, and developing vb.net webparts and webservices (long live SOAP).

Wish i had the time to code at home, cause there is some things i wanna explore in c#. (like coding some midi apps and making a total MP3 solution for searching/playing the countless mp3s cluttering up my shelfspace)

Other than that - the only programming im doing is programming my alarm clock to go off at 5am to start the 18 hour programming day up :p

hehehe

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
soulthief said:
You'd be surprised to be honest. For a smaller company there is a lot of hassle and cost that goes with implementing and maintaining even a simple-to-use DB server like SQL Server 2000 compared to an .mdb file.

Of course, once you get above a certain number of users the data corruption problems become quite silly, but for many small systems Access does just fine.

Then they try to use it across a WAN :)

I think a lot of these things hang around due to historical reasons to be honest. Especially if you are somewhere where there has been a relatively high turnover of IT staff.

Might be worth you taking a look at MySQL. Can't comment on how it runs under Windows but it's fantastic under Linux/BSD. Oh, and it's free.

Minifotm

Fledgling Freddie
are you guys leet h4x0r as my friend nyaste? and his brother knapraste.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - not many Mainframe programmers here - possibly my colleagues have'nt yet discovered the Internet - I'll have to climb over into the next cube and prod its occupant awake (if he is in fact sleeping rather than the latest DNC (Death from Natural Causes) in the office) then if his ears are'nt stuffed full of beard I could try and explain how to use this fangled windows 3.1...

I was under the impression that this was an office but I'm starting to think that 'Daycare' would be more accurate.

I program almost exclusively in MVS Assembler these days and enjoy looking at a good binary dump :)

Perhaps there is some kind of therapy available???

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
Hmm - not many Mainframe programmers here - possibly my colleagues have'nt yet discovered the Internet - I'll have to climb over into the next cube and prod its occupant awake (if he is in fact sleeping rather than the latest DNC (Death from Natural Causes) in the office) then if his ears are'nt stuffed full of beard I could try and explain how to use this fangled windows 3.1...

I was under the impression that this was an office but I'm starting to think that 'Daycare' would be more accurate.

I program almost exclusively in MVS Assembler these days and enjoy looking at a good binary dump :)

could be wurse, you could be a cobol dev

rynnor

Rockhound
sibanac said:
could be wurse, you could be a cobol dev

What high level languages - nah - they are for users - any language that includes words that the uninitiated might be able to make some sense of are a no-no :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
What high level languages - nah - they are for users - any language that includes words that the uninitiated might be able to make some sense of are a no-no :)
You clearly never seen the jewel that is OO-Cobol it makes VB look like a welstructured and true OO language

Sarum

Fledgling Freddie
Talking of nasty languages, I'm using something imaginatively called DCS (Data Conversion System iirc) mostly at the moment. Anyone who hasn't heard of it should consider themselves lucky, and keep it that way. And trying to fix programs non-programmers wrote in it before it fully supported complex programming concepts such as functions and arrays.

Chilly

Balls of steel
rynnor said:

Ahhh, the joys of assembler, my mum once told me that if i was ever gonna be a programmer like her then id have to learn assembler and be able to (in theory) write anyhting i did in anything else in assembler.

Good thing im not a programmer eh?

Well, thats kind of a lie, some fools at my uni decided itd be a good idea to try and teach me Object Pascal....

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Assembler rocks! Or at least it did be4 st0pid Windows came along ;)

Now its Delphi.. so easy with drag'n'drop programming ;)

Working on a Axapta-clone atm... just for the fun of it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom