probs with norton virus!!

Mut68

Fledgling Freddie
every time i click on it it comes up for about 5 sec and then closes and its not appering at the botten right corrner in the icon try and when it comes up for 5 sec i notised that auto protect was off but when i click on enable it closes it self wtf is wrong with it?? iv tryed serching for spy ware but nothing came up so wot is the prob??

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Mut68 said:
every time i click on it it comes up for about 5 sec and then closes and its not appering at the botten right corrner in the icon try and when it comes up for 5 sec i notised that auto protect was off but when i click on enable it closes it self wtf is wrong with it?? iv tryed serching for spy ware but nothing came up so wot is the prob??
Which version of Norton is this? Which version of Windows? Have you done anything queer to Internet Explorer?

It does seem that there are some inconsistant problems with NAV - I have 2002 myself. To be honest, my recommendation would be to reinstall Norton and see if that fixes it. If not, then go from there.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Mut68 said:
iv got win XP pro and norton virus 2004
OK - well give reinstalling a try. Properly uninstall it first from Control Panel->Add Remove first though.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have you activated it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Have you tried Norton online support? Their faqs/forums might have an answer for you.

I've been using NAV since 2001, and its always worked flawlessly for me (now on NAV2003)

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
You may have a virus. Most of them these days seem to disable the AV software if its running. I fixed a realtives PC who had the Gaobot virus the other day and they had the same problem as you, ie NAV starts, then dissapears.

Run an online virus scan from here. It'll let you know if you are infected.

Clown

Part of the furniture
So what the hello good is an anti-virus program if the virus disables it :mad:

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
An anti virus program can only detect virus's it knows about, hence why you need to keep the definitions upto date and the machine patched properly.

The PC in question that I fixed had a 1 month old virus definition file and hadnt been patched against the Blaster Worm. The virus then kindly sneaked in the back door, installed its self, and then made sure that the AV would never find it.

Once I had removed the virus and patched the PC, I found out that somehow it (something else???) had managed to unregister a load of the Norton AV components from the Live Update facility. So when you finally did manage to keep the AV running and clicked Live Update, it never actually looked for the Virus Definitions file and told you it was totally up to date.

I had to do a new install of NAV to fix that one.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Yeh, I networked a newly formatted machine to my computer. STRAIGHT-AWAY it started having MS Blaster symptoms. My computer was 'clean', but I came to the conclusion that it was still somewhere on my computer. How else could it get to the new computer that quickly?

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Did you figure out what the problem was with this then Mut68?

Mr.Monkey

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
Yeh, I networked a newly formatted machine to my computer. STRAIGHT-AWAY it started having MS Blaster symptoms. My computer was 'clean', but I came to the conclusion that it was still somewhere on my computer. How else could it get to the new computer that quickly?
If you are connected to the internet when you do a reformat, blaster will get on your computer pretty much straight away.
Next time you format, do so offline (ie unplugged) and install the window patches offline (downloading them on a different partition, or burn to CD). This will stop you getting it.
That or enable the MS firewall, which will also stop blaster from getting in.

RedVenom

Banned
Mut68 said:
iv got win XP pro and norton virus 2004

Well that sounds like you've got two virii straight off.

Anyway, as a home user, surely you would've invested in XP home? Not of course, to imply anything.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
RedVenom said:
Well that sounds like you've got two virii straight off.

Anyway, as a home user, surely you would've invested in XP home? Not of course, to imply anything.

And why would that be?

RedVenom

Banned
Because XP home comes as standard for home users, and contains all the features needed. XP Pro in comparison, would be quite a heft investment for no real gain.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Seeing as how he has XP pro and NAV 2004 I seriously doubt that norton support will be any help. Not to imply anything of course.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Mr.Monkey said:
If you are connected to the internet when you do a reformat, blaster will get on your computer pretty much straight away.
Next time you format, do so offline (ie unplugged) and install the window patches offline (downloading them on a different partition, or burn to CD). This will stop you getting it.
That or enable the MS firewall, which will also stop blaster from getting in.
If you're behind a router with NAT proxying then Blaster shouldn't be able to reach you anyhow, unless one of the other PCs on your LAN has already contracted it.

There's a single MS patch to blaster which you can apply to a clean install of XP with SP1/SP1a which will allow you to connect to the net without worries, the XP firewall does NOT protect you from the RPC vulnerability which Blaster exploits without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom