Problems starting computer, can someone help?

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
I am having some strange problems with my computer. When I attempt to restart it locks before the system even starts the bios. But it seems to restart okay if I clear the CMOS ram using the onboard jumpers. But then it reverts back to not starting at all. I don't fancy having to open my case every time I want to start my computer. Can anyone help?
My system as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
1024MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
SB Live!
PIONEER DVD RW DVR-106D(Recently Installed)
MSI MS-6533 Motherboard

Thanks.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Couple of questions:

Do you get any POST tones ("beep codes")? Or doesn't it even get as far as giving you those?

What type of BIOS do you have?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
As Breni said, do u get any beep error codes (need a pcspeaker attached to the mobo for em) or if ur mobo has diagnostic leds do u get an error on them

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
There are no beeps, and the speaker is connected. It's just the base unit power led that is on. My monitor seems to remain in standby. the bios is 'Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG'. Seems weird. I have just upgraded from a cd/rw drive and dvd player combo, to a one unit Multi function DVD/CD burner.

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
did you check the manufacter's support site for firmware?
soz if spelling is wrong

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Two things, have you tried booting it with the combo drive unplugged? Is there any difference? And also is it possible some software is overclocking a peice of hardware when you boot up. ( I know certain graphics cards offer this ).

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
I've managed to find the problem. Was that the bios didn't like dvd/cdr thing as a bootable option. So just put in the CD-rw drive and they are both working. Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom