problem playing CS

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
hi all,

recently played counter-strike again. Every minute or so I get 2-second lag spikes where it freezes and starts again. It happens when i'm playing and when i'm watching someone else. Its not a connection problem because I have a constant 25 ping on all servers. CS:source works fine just normal CS that this is happening on.
Running on ATI radeon 9800XXL
120GB hard drive
1GB ram
p4HT 3.0 GHz processor.

anyone know whats causing this?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
strangely I have this too. also in BF2142, leading me to believe it's a network issue of some sort. I have a wireless lan at home, but the signal strength is always at 100% due to my home made antenna.

either the game freezes and then goes again, or (in BF2142) it freezes and "rewinds" me a few seconds, where a selected weapon may suddenly become unselected et al.

you're not on cable are you?

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
strangely I have this too. also in BF2142, leading me to believe it's a network issue of some sort. I have a wireless lan at home, but the signal strength is always at 100% due to my home made antenna.

either the game freezes and then goes again, or (in BF2142) it freezes and "rewinds" me a few seconds, where a selected weapon may suddenly become unselected et al.

nope ADSL

when the game freezes its kinda like the game is still playing behind the frozen screen, so when it unfreezes I will appear 10 yards in front of me if you know what I mean.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ping is not the be all and end all. Check what your loss and choke is. net_graph 1 2 or 3 in the console will give you stats for your conn while you play. Look for high choke or loss.

Dukat

Resident Freddy

That sounds very much like a wireless issue I had, its to do with the "wireless cofiguration zero" service on windows.

If you disable this("stop" it and make sure it isnt set to automatically start up on boot) and connect only with the wireless drivers that came with your antenna you should see the problem stop completely.

TdC

ooh cheers for the tip. I'll give it a go tonight!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
ooh cheers for the tip. I'll give it a go tonight!

If you get any trouble, I'll be on IRC most of the night on and off in xatrix, should probably be the others about too, so drop in and help if we can :)

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
That sounds very much like a wireless issue I had, its to do with the "wireless cofiguration zero" service on windows.

If you disable this("stop" it and make sure it isnt set to automatically start up on boot) and connect only with the wireless drivers that came with your antenna you should see the problem stop completely.

How do i do this? Sorry not very good with connection stuff

TdC

I gave it a shot, but afterwards the wireless didn't run. It seems that doze is in sole control of my wifi thing and it refuses to configure the network otherwise :/

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I gave it a shot, but afterwards the wireless didn't run. It seems that doze is in sole control of my wifi thing and it refuses to configure the network otherwise :/

Thats a bit strange :( Have you tried re-installing the wireless drivers after WZC is disabled? Possibly there could be a setting within your wireless adaptor software that controls whether or not its looking for WZC to be enabled.

Difficult to know whats happening mate :( on my computers at home I just disabled that, restarted and it was fine from then on.

Might be worth a google search about WZC and your wireless adaptor, other than that I'm stumped :(

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
ahhh...no the wireless zero is needed for some routine functions (it might depend on your wireless...my netgear mfc software wont work unless the pc boots with wireless zero on)...its supposedly not recommended to permanently disable it...just stop it before you run cs (I have a .bat file somewhere to do this)..when windows reboots, let it restart...

TdC

hmm what I have done now is to disable DHCP on the router and give myself a fixed IP number. perhaps that will allow me to disable the service?

TdC

nah, deffo needed the thing's own drivers. after some mucking about, there seems to be no periodic lag as described. win.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Dudley, did you check netgraph in CS?

sorry for late reply. I took Dukats advice and switched off the wireless network zero settings while I was playing and it works fine. Just need to activate it again when i'm finished playing. Thanks for all your help.

TdC

bah, I discover that the drivers from Sweex (it's a sweex el cheapo wifi dongle) only seem to keep the link up if they're running under administrator :/ as I most assuredly do not run doze as administrator for my regular browsing and stuff, I now get random disconnects for an entirely other reason :/

I didn't notice at first, because the account I run my games under is an administrator account (sadly), because either games programmers are all incompetent fools, or the windows programming guides they're forced to use were written by incompetent fools as many games just won't work properly if not run as administrator :/

so I'm caught in a cleft stick: either I run that zero wifi thing and get random lag in games but the network does always work, or I don't run it and get random disconnects when I'm not administrator :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom