(Probably) Simple networking issue.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So I'm hosting a service on my local machine and all is well, I can access it internally and externally using dyndns. However the issue I want to overcome is that depending on whether I'm in the network or outside of it (more specifically, on my Wifi at home or on HSDPA with my mobile) I need to specify the address to use. What I'd like is to set it up so that my dyndns address resolves to a local IP on my wireless.

I've had a look on my Netgear router but so far come up with squat. I'm sure this must be a regular thing to do so any advice appreciated!

TIA

edit: More specifics, it's sabnzbd I'm trying to set up. I've told the program to listen on my dyndns address and left it black to figure it out. Both work if I punch in my local IP, neither do if I try and access it by punching in my.dyndns.org:8080 in the browser.

Interestingly enough, if I type in just my.dyndns.org I get my router config page (which is set to disallow connections from external sources) so clearly it's resolving locally OK.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, and naturally I've got the ports forwarded.

edit: Guh. OK so if I access sabnzbd from my mobile phone on an external connection using my.dyndns.blah:8080 it works perfectly. If I try the same inside the network no joy - and therein lies the issue, I want to not have to change what I'm typing every time.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Sounds like it's a NAT problem. Basically the DNS lookup will show it as being an external address and your router doesn't like forwarding traffic from internal to internal (via the external address).

What you can do on more featured firewalls is 'fix' DNS requests from the internal, so that the internal IP is shown instead of the external one, however you probably can't do this on your router, although I'd check.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah there aren't really many options t configure that sort of stuff. Could flash the router with custom firmware but haven't done that before.

Thanks for the info mate.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use transmission in a similar way. Normally if you forward the port it works both inside and outside the LAN for me. Have you tried using an alternative port?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So you can refer to an external IP while on the LAN and it routes back inside? I've tried half a dozen different ports and none make any difference.

What's transmission?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's a bittorrent client with web interface: Transmission

I can connect to my dyndns address easily from inside and outside the lan to do similar to what you're up to with sabnzbd.

Step one, forward the port
Step two, forward the traffic for that port to whatever IP required on the lan.

That was it.

You might also be interested in Sick Beard - Internet PVR for your TV Shows I'm guessing.

nath

Fledgling Freddie

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sick Beard looks fucking great Meg, ta for that.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wasn't meant to be a jab mate, sometimes it's handy to have a guide :p

As for DynDns management, my router can do it automatically and so can my NAS. I prefer to use the NAS because that way I know if it's not working my router has fallen over as my NAS is far more reliable than my Thompson O2 Broadband router.

No probs for SB. Good software should spread across the globe tbfh.

Stupid question (feel free not to answer) but presumably you pay for usenet access? Worth it?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Triple post fail!

So yeah, my dyndns is accessible internally but when I access it with no port amended I get through to my router (.1). If I amend the address with a port - connection unsuccessful. As I said, forwarding is fine but my router seems to refuse to forward the connection on properly.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
What's the trace internally to your dyndns?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Just shows my eternalip.bethere.co.uk

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Screenshot your router for us fella. This is fairly bog standard and having been lame and been through portforward for a netgear it wasn't that complicated.

Only thing I can think of is have you made DCHP set your PC with a fixed address on the LAN?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
What panel of the router page would you want screenshotted? Also, port forward is definitely working as I can access the page from an external connection - without the correct ports forwarded it simply would drop the packets and I'd not get anywhere.

I have indeed reserved my PC's IP on the DHCP settings.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Firewall rules. What model is your netgear?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DG834GT, what specifically are you looking for? As I said the connection works externally so the port is forwarded to my IP correctly.

Attachments

• firewall1.jpg
    firewall1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 5
  • firewall2.jpg
    firewall2.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 6

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I can't find the gubbins atm but I'm pretty sure the netgear listens for the admin panel stuff on port 8080. That would explain while on the LAN it would show you that and whilst off the LAN it wouldn't because presumably it's configured to refuse connections from the net at large.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I've disabled remote administration on my router, it defaults to 8080 but it noticed that I was using that for SAB so switched to the next available. That said, I have tried a number of different completely random ports for SAB and none make any diff.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Out of ideas then mate. Apart from is there a firewall on the PC?

JingleBells

FH is my second home

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I only recently upgraded to the most recent firmware but I'll double check. Either way, thanks a lot for the links mate, I'll check them out tomorrow :D.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
One possible fix is to run your own DNS server, have it mostly relaying requests, but with entries for your internal addresses (which will stop them being relayed out to the internet). Bit of a faf though!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ooo, a massive cumbersome workaround for a problem that isn't drastically necessary to fix. I like it, I shall look in to local DNS hosting :).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Fuck it, swapped out my old and beautiful DG834GT with my nasty BeBox and that has NAT Loopback enabled already. All is well!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Fucking hell Meg, SABnzbd + Sick Beard = super win awesome.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I thought you might enjoy it. I have no usenet server so tend to rely on other things for automation.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pah, torrents! Get yourself on Astraweb, great speed, retention and price. Well worth it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whilst I agree that T's aren't the best and can suck my NAS does all the hard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom