prob with instaling DVD drive!

Mut68

Fledgling Freddie
on i have a cd drive and it worked fine but i want a DVD drive so i bought lg GSA 4163b, it was easy 2 put in and when i turn on the pc it was so fucking slow!!! then when i whent 2 my pc the CD and DVD drives dont show up?? the power cables are fine so wot is wrong??

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you've messed up the master/slave settings of the drives most likely. check the jumpers on the back of the units are set to "cable select" (easiest) or the one closest to the mobo on the ribbon cable is master and the one furthest is slave (iirc). or perhaps your BIOS really needs to see the drives before it will let doze do it. go into your BIOS and make it autodetect your IDE hardware.

Mut68

Fledgling Freddie
thx m8 ill try that but i cant get into bios cos i got a ubs con for the cable :( fook need 2 get a new keyboard :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I thought that at first too, but strangely enough getting into my BIOS at home worked just fine with an usb cable. it's the bit after the POST and before the OS booting where I can't do anything. Perhaps it differs from motherboard to motherboard and BIOS to BIOS though so I can't be sure.

Will

/bin/su
If you can't get into the BIOS because of your USB connection (unlikely), you could just...and I may be going out on a limb here...unplug the cable. ;)

Mut68

Fledgling Freddie
if i unplug the cable i will have no keyboad? lol how will that work?

Will

/bin/su
Ah, I misread your "usb con for the cable" as being a USB connection for your broadband.

Clown

Part of the furniture
This happened to me when my IDE cable was twisted like fuck. Dunno why.

Chilly

Balls of steel
thoss ribbons are ribbons for a reason, there is huge datarate and they are unshielded so they need to be spaced out from each other else some quite intense interference can carry on either fucking over the conntion or severly limiting it - sata cables are the way to go.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Roughly how long is the IDE cable/s you are using?

As Tdc sort of points out, USB keyboard support varies from motherboard to motherboard although most recent ones should support them.

Mut68

Fledgling Freddie
ok i got into bios and when i search for it it searches for hard drive?? in all of them?? wot do i do now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom