Private Tutoring

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
(this trolling bugz is actully really really tiresome)

Personally i can say that i don't troll him, i'm giving an honest opinion based on what i've seen/heard here.

Bugz could be a pro in tests, have all the knowledge, but as such a people person with tolerance to "dumb people", not so much.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Well in Germany it's rather common to do such things and people pay quite well for it aswell. Though the question is not - and some already mentioned this - if you know your stuff perfectly, but if you can teach it to others.

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to show the same thing to a person over and over again, if they don't get it the first or second or Xth time. It's a lot about patience and knowing how to make your things clear.

I wouldn't say that you're worse than a professional per se, cause often enough teachers are really bad pedagogues, but of course you will lack the experience. The first and most important thing, if you accept such a job, is to talk to other people who have done it.

I've accepted a tutoring job at university for this semester and I'm teaching people to use Office better and faster. First thing I did was to ask a friend of mine what she told the students in the previous semesters. Then, during the entry-test, I checked where people had problems and that gave me more hints about where they need help.

I can tell you it's not easy to tutor someone, because first of all you have to see problems from a different angle. Yes it's easy to do some polynomial division...if you know how to do it. The people you tutor (and therefore you aswell) will face problems you never thought about, so be ready to teach the basics slowly.

The last thing I can tell you is not to underestimate the time it takes to prepare yourself for each lesson. The first few will be easy, because you have to learn what problems you have to fix, but then you have to think about something to help out. This includes getting back into the subject, preparing easy/medium/hard assignements for them to do with you and/or at home.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
So Bugz.....are you doing it now or not? You know, FHOT is a damn curious person :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom