Private Tutoring

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone done it / considered it / knows someone who does it?

My female friend does it for a friend of her mums' son for a nice juicy amount and it got me thinking about supplying my skills (and not my arrogance ;)) to other people.

Not to mention it'd be much more interactive and enjoyable for me than retail.

Thoughts and opinions?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Has anyone done it / considered it / knows someone who does it?

My female friend does it for a friend of her mums' son for a nice juicy amount and it got me thinking about supplying my skills (and not my arrogance ;)) to other people.

Not to mention it'd be much more interactive and enjoyable for me than retail.

Thoughts and opinions?

My thoughts and opinions :D

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'd count on you to spot the sexual references in a post :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Depends on the extent of your skills and/or knowledge. You could teach younger children not to grow up to become CS addicts with 1337 speak as their primer language and flaming people as their hobby!! Or you could teach them something useless as Mathematics or Physics.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Depends on the extent of your skills and/or knowledge. You could teach younger children not to grow up to become CS addicts with 1337 speak as their primer language and flaming people as their hobby!! Or you could teach them something useless as Mathematics or Physics.

Well I specialize in maths, english & economics/geography and I would ideally be aiming my tutoring at GCSE level (and perhaps dabble a bit in AS-level once I myself know how good I am at the june exams).

I could even extend myself down to SATS as I know there are a lot of parents who feel strongly about their child's progression even from the most basic (and admittedly useless) levels.

@Succi - she doesn't do it officially - only because her mums friend asked her. What I'm curious - is there a real market for this kind of thing and will people consider a young 'un as long as you have some way to back up what you can do for their kid.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Suggest you stick with the tangible subject like Maths and the Sciences as they are the ones where you will get the most students and deal with absolutes so it is far less effort (right or wrong answers)

Regarding reading level you would probably be best with younger kids as they are likely to be less of a handful to get going, 11+(if you are willing to teach the verbal/non verbal reasoning)/SATS/GCSE (GCSE science be careful as you will have to help with their project) i would suggest be the level you are looking for.

Is there a market? depends on where you look, i suggest putting your name down as a recommend on your old school's books if you are on good terms with them as i am under the impression you went to private school?, so there will be more parents willing to pay for tutoring

Is there good money in it? no not really, but is a nice side income and sure as hell beats working in food/retail

echome

Fledgling Freddie
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to old.Tohtori again.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Of course there is a market for private tutorinig but you need to consider what you can offer over a professional teacher. You don't have the same level of teaching skills as someone who has been trained as a teacher. You need to be extremely good at something if you want people to seriously consider employing you at your age.

You could however offer to read through and make corrections/suggestions for peoples english/geography coursework for example.

Lucius

Banned
I've been privately tutored before (at GCSE level) but I guess that's not the kind of info you're looking for...

Well, if it is, just PM me.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I volunteered to do a similar thing at school. Just helping out a year 9 student with maths once a week. It's not as easy as you would think tho, because you can't just teach them a new method that you think is easier. You need to know the approach that their school/teacher wants them to take and help them improve that. I've been lucky tho, the guy i'm helping actually wants to learn.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Most kids can already throw a teddy out the pram. I fail to see what more you could teach them.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
If I know my stuff and I've proved it through exams - why the hell can I not share that same knowledge onto others?

Anywho - I intend to trial this soon.

To all the people who are looking for an e-fight because they have fk all else to do - two letter word - begins with n - end in o :)

Good day.

Mey

Part of the furniture
The hard thing is being able to prove to people that you can actually provide something useful that they are willing to pay you for. Also are you able to give up the free time (from your own study/life) to prepear lessons/teaching etc..?

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
If I know my stuff and I've proved it through exams - why the hell can I not share that same knowledge onto others?

Knowing your stuff and getting good exam results and being able to actually teach someone else how to do it are two entirely different skillsets.
In fact the best teachers of stuff are probably those who don't have a natural ability in a subject because they can appreciate why people who are struggling are having difficulties and show them how to overcome it in a more natural manner.

I won't comment on if you'll be successful because having never met you in real life I honestly don't know if you will be. How people behave and act on the internet is rarely a sign to how they actually come across in real life. Only way you'll find out is trying tho..

Chronictank

FH is my second home

Anywho - I intend to trial this soon.

To all the people who are looking for an e-fight because they have fk all else to do - two letter word - begins with n - end in o :)

Good day.
Sorry but you fail to appreciate that exams do not make you a good teacher, your exams mean nothing other than you can regurgitate facts, they have little practical application at all (bar a few subjects)

Firstly you are competing with proffesionals, who come far higher regarded than you and are better teachers than you (by default, this is the first your doing it they have been doing it for x years).
Therefore i suggest you find out how much people charge in your area and undercut them significantly

You wouldnt give your mate your pc to fix because he passed his IT exam at AS level, rather than a proffesional would you?
Same principle,
so you need to significantly undercut maybe even do it through your school/college for younger students first to get some sort of experience under your belt. Maybe even get one of your parents friends to let you tuition their kids/freinds kids like your mate

Good luck to you, but i think its going to be a bit much to ask strangers to do it off the bat rather than people you have some connection to

For once why dont you take good advice instead of taking it as a personal insult :/

pikeh

Resident Freddy
:wij:

tbh, I dont see anything happening with this outside of friends/family etc. You would just be competing with professionals with many years doing what you are trying to do, who have the patience, and most importantly THE RIGHT QUALIFICATIONS to deal with kids and teach them.

/edit self-owned for not reading Chronics reply!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
You wouldnt give your mate your pc to fix because he passed his IT exam at AS level, rather than a proffesional would you?

Bad example since a "professional pc fixer" is normally less competant than your average street hobo, just go to PC world to witness this.

Your other points are spot on tho. Exams (especially at the level of education Bugz has reached) are pretty much, how much can you parrot regurgitate back onto a piece of paper in 90 minutes, not actually any indication of competance.
Experience is the only thing in the real world that actually carries any weight, and not having any you'll be lower down the list than anyone who has actually taught before. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try and find away of getting that experience, but finding someone you have a connection with through friends/family is going to be your best shot.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
clueless? or living in some fantasy world? or both? :)

Himse

FH is my second home
Sorry but you fail to appreciate that exams do not make you a good teacher, your exams mean nothing other than you can regurgitate facts, they have little practical application at all (bar a few subjects)

Firstly you are competing with proffesionals, who come far higher regarded than you and are better teachers than you (by default, this is the first your doing it they have been doing it for x years).
Therefore i suggest you find out how much people charge in your area and undercut them significantly

Same principle,
so you need to significantly undercut maybe even do it through your school/college for younger students first to get some sort of experience under your belt. Maybe even get one of your parents friends to let you tuition their kids/freinds kids like your mate

Good luck to you, but i think its going to be a bit much to ask strangers to do it off the bat rather than people you have some connection to

For once why dont you take good advice instead of taking it as a personal insult :/

BINGO!

Just because you are well educated, doesn't mean you will be good at that job in practice!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'd count on you to spot the sexual references in a post :)

It's a gift and a curse :D

About sharing the knowledge, Bugz would be a "good teacher" in the knoledge way(if he aced exams) as schools use no brain in their exams.

Rinse repeat tactics in every exam, so if Bugz can teach what he did to get scores, the other kid will become "smart" too; aka know what they'll ask basically and repet-train it into brain.

BUT, a teacher is more then the info he spews, and yes, exams prove nothing mroe then that you might know what you're talking about. Being a teacher though, the act of teaching, making others understand that knowledge. That needs social skills, being patient, repeating yourself, tolerance etc.

And Bugz, from what i've seen on the forums, you ain't too much of that.(honest opinion)

Himse

FH is my second home
It's a gift and a curse :D

About sharing the knowledge, Bugz would be a "good teacher" in the knoledge way(if he aced exams) as schools use no brain in their exams.

Rinse repeat tactics in every exam, so if Bugz can teach what he did to get scores, the other kid will become "smart" too; aka know what they'll ask basically and repet-train it into brain.

Teacher is more then the info he spews, and yes, exams prove nothing mroe then that you might know what you're talking about. Being a teacher though, the act of teaching, making others understand that knowledge. That needs social skills, being patient, repeating yourself, tolerance etc.

And Bugz, from what i've seen on the forums, you ain't too much of that.(honest opinion)

Teaching isn't about spewing info at a kid,

if he did that, they might not understand him :|

you need to put accross a teaching method, to help make it exciting and get it into the kid.

not just sit there and make him answer maths questions.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Teaching isn't about spewing info at a kid,

if he did that, they might not understand him :|

you need to put accross a teaching method, to help make it exciting and get it into the kid.

not just sit there and make him answer maths questions.

And what did i say?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy

Good day.
the people who try to bait cant spell that word (uc they failed GSCEs) so i will spell it for them. NO.

(this trolling bugz is actully really really tiresome)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom