Film Predestination

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thing is if you think too much about the logic of it all it ruins a good film.
That's why I never question these sorts of films too much. Just sit back and enjoy it!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How though? - It just seemed me that his life was a loop from being born, to being a girl in an orphanage, then having a kid, changing to male, then starting the mission, surely it'd be better just to take him/her out of the equation completely? :p

There were, like, eleven other agents - he taught "them"...

Anyway - good call @ECA. Cheers m8 :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thing is if you think too much about the logic of it all it ruins a good film.
That's why I never question these sorts of films too much. Just sit back and enjoy it!

Actually the logic is impeccable. Which makes a refreshing change in a time travel flick. But then its not surprising because:
they very loosely based it on Robert Heinlein's All You Zombies, which is the granddaddy of all time paradox stories

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually the logic is impeccable. Which makes a refreshing change in a time travel flick. But then its not surprising because:
they very loosely based it on Robert Heinlein's All You Zombies, which is the granddaddy of all time paradox stories

Did you notice:
Stranger In A Strange Land was on a desk, just sat there begging to be read ;)

Also, I'm not sure why this is spoilered other than I felt I should after you unnecessarily spoilered yours?

:)

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Apart from the fact that Ethan's character can't exist you mean

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That depends entirely on how you view time

DaGaffer

Apart from the fact that Ethan's character can't exist you mean

What do you mean, "Ethan's character"? They're all the same character and he's his own father and mother. His life is a paradox, but the logic works. That's pretty much the point of the story.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What do you mean, "Ethan's character"? They're all the same character and he's his own father and mother. His life is a paradox, but the logic works. That's pretty much the point of the story.

Yes I know they are all the same. That is what is not logical. Even with time travel it's impossible to be born from yourself

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Utterly awesome, need to read the spoilers now and see what others thought.

DaGaffer

Yes I know they are all the same. That is what is not logical. Even with time travel it's impossible to be born from yourself

Impossible how? Genetically? Nope. If you possessed the right...er, equipment, not impossible. And if you can put the male and female versions of yourself in the right place and time, its a practical proposition, so all that's left is how the paradox started, which is the point, it didn't "start" its a perfectly closed loop.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Impossible how? Genetically? Nope. If you possessed the right...er, equipment, not impossible. And if you can put the male and female versions of yourself in the right place and time, its a practical proposition, so all that's left is how the paradox started, which is the point, it didn't "start" its a perfectly closed loop.

No not genetically. Genetics is fine. The character cannot be born as they have come into existence from nothing. As you say it's the paradox. So having no start point isn't logical because a paradox isn't logical.

DaGaffer

No not genetically. Genetics is fine. The character cannot be born as they have come into existence from nothing. As you say it's the paradox. So having no start point isn't logical because a paradox isn't logical.

Its perfectly logical, and impossible. But once its happened, its possible...

leggy

Probably Scottish
Explaining fiction is illogical. Enjoyable movie for the most part. None of the major plot twists were well concealed though and it was quite apparent from the start what was going to happen. It surprisingly didn't spoil the end result though.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Highly underrated movie - the non concealment didnt really bother me.
For the most part I did see the twists comming, but the fun part was how, so it really didnt matter all that much to me.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Yep loved this, saw it months ago now, bit of a head fuck, but so good

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom