Film Predestination

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Recommending the shit outta this.

The cinematography is gorgeous and the cast is great.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Not going to lie, I thought this was going to be a religious debate and my original reaction was OH FUCK NO HES DONE IT.

But I saw this on a-hoy me harties, and IMDB'd it, was purty low, will have a butchers!

xx

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Waiting for my missus to get back tomorrow night before watching this. Ethan Hawke's been in a few good 'uns so it was on the strength of that alone I obtained it.

Remember Gattaca? :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Gattaca is one of my favourite movies so uh yeah :d

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Got it off pirate and I'm not embarrased to say I got totally fuckin lost near the end...will rewatch in slow motion .

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just watched it...

it's definitely a snake eating it's own tale...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I fell asleep towards the end but

my wife really needs some closer on what the fuck was meant to be the message, were they all the same person, were they mother and father and baby all at the same time? Can someone give a really detailed explanation please so I look like I figured it out :D

Job

The big hole in all time travel stories is even if it fucks up you can just go back a bit further and fix it again.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I fell asleep towards the end but

my wife really needs some closer on what the fuck was meant to be the message, were they all the same person, were they mother and father and baby all at the same time? Can someone give a really detailed explanation please so I look like I figured it out :D

Yes, they were all the same people, father, mother and child were all the same, both older dudes ( bartender/terrorist ), was also the same person, with a different face - hence the first 2 mins where he/she has facial reconstruction after the explosion.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes, they were all the same people, father, mother and child were all the same, both older dudes ( bartender/terrorist ), was also the same person, with a different face - hence the first 2 mins where he/she has facial reconstruction after the explosion.

Yes exactly but...

How can the child ever be born though...that's what I don't get... You can't be born since you are both mother and father

The big hole in all time travel stories is even if it fucks up you can just go back a bit further and fix it again.

This is true but

He tried that at one point and failed.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
dysfunction said:
How can the child ever be born though...that's what I don't get... You can't be born since you are both mother and father

I thought that was kinda clear, he/she was a hermaphrodite - it was explained in the post-birth scene with the doctor - they had to remove her female organs post-birth complication and discovered her male parts, and used her still functional male parts to make a pee pee.

Trem

Yes exactly but...

This is true but

He tried that at one point and failed.

I followed it all and I knew what was going on before I fell asleep (I was woken up by wife shouting "SO.....THEY WERE ALL THE SAME PERSON!!???!!") and I know what you have said is what was meant ECA but my brain (a little like Dys I guess) can't compute the logic in it all :(

Last edited:

Trem

Edit - Woah, wait, so Ethan Hawke was also the fizzle bomber as well? Samm thought the bomber was the child or something, oh jesus if I stayed awake I wouldn't of figured that out.....no, hold on how can he be the bomber when it was him being shot at when he was trying to defuse the bomb? So who was the bomber....oh for fucks sake :(

Tried to add this to the above but it fucked up

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Edit - Woah, wait, so Ethan Hawke was also the fizzle bomber as well? Samm thought the bomber was the child or something, oh jesus if I stayed awake I wouldn't of figured that out.....no, hold on how can he be the bomber when it was him being shot at when he was trying to defuse the bomb? So who was the bomber....oh for fucks sake :(

Tried to add this to the above but it fucked up

Yup, old him is the bomber as well, his time travel kit was meant to be deactivated when he retired, but it didn't, so old retired him had to set events in motion to gauranteed he'd try to catch the fizzle bomber - he retired and then probably realised the fizzle bombings didn't happen, so if he didn't travel back and do it himself, then he/she'd never be born.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
So how did the first Jane come about, who were Jane's parents before Jane and John had sex and gave birth to Jane/John in the first place? I understand they're now in a loop but how did the loop begin?

Trem

Yup, old him is the bomber as well, his time travel kit was meant to be deactivated when he retired, but it didn't, so old retired him had to set events in motion to gauranteed he'd try to catch the fizzle bomber - he retired and then probably realised the fizzle bombings didn't happen, so if he didn't travel back and do it himself, then he/she'd never be born.

Cheers ECA, I kind of get it now, Samm had explained some of the other stuff to me but as usual I wasn't listening to her.

So how did the first Jane come about, who were Jane's parents before Jane and John had sex and gave birth to Jane/John in the first place? I understand they're now in a loop but how did the loop begin?

Stop that @megadave my brain can't take anymore STOP THAT NOW!! :eek:

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Leave it alone and just pretend you're this gif.

FvKfDxL.gif

Job

So she got bxxxx and was given his fxxx...but where did they get it from?

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Yes this my point but ECA thought I meant something else...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I thought that was kinda clear, he/she was a hermaphrodite - it was explained in the post-birth scene with the doctor - they had to remove her female organs post-birth complication and discovered her male parts, and used her still functional male parts to make a pee pee.

Yes but what I meant was they were born from themselves which is impossible. You can't be all three mum, dad and baby. You can possibly be two out of three but not all three (given that time travel is possible.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Yes but what I meant was they were born from themselves which is impossible. You can't be all three mum, dad and baby. You can possibly be two out of three but not all three (given that time travel is possible.

Basically these kind of causal loop storylines are bollocks but at least they're consistent bollocks.

In this kind of paradox whatever has happened must happen. Alternatively think of it like as soon as time travel has been invented visitors to the past must exists which can cause the looping.

What came first. The chicken or the egg ... the rooster. It wasn't a joke, it was a plot spoiler :)

Job

Lets not argue time travel except to say going back in time is still actually forwards..if you really went back in time everybody would have to come with you.

Gwadien

I worked it out as soon as she told her story at the start :/

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

The cockerel

Brilliant film.

Gwadien

Right, thought about this more. So the guy that runs the operation, is he aware of the whole thing, if so why doesn't he end the crime himself, also, is the time they can travel to significant? Is it her/his life span?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Right, thought about this more. So the guy that runs the operation, is he aware of the whole thing, if so why doesn't he end the crime himself, also, is the time they can travel to significant? Is it her/his life span?
I think if they stop the fizzbomber then their program might become kind of pointless?

Gwadien

I think if they stop the fizzbomber then their program might become kind of pointless?
So they're constantly looping in order to justify the program? I was under the impression that he was the only person that could do it in the end.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
So they're constantly looping in order to justify the program? I was under the impression that he was the only person that could do it in the end.

That's not it. His boss made a comment at some point that the Fizzle Bomber has helped the program a lot by teaching them lots of things about time travel. He was *told* he was the only person who could complete the mission because he was special. Not why he was special. So it's almost certain his boss knew who the bomber really was and that the bombings were actually saving more people than they killed.

Gwadien

That's not it. His boss made a comment at some point that the Fizzle Bomber has helped the program a lot by teaching them lots of things about time travel. He was *told* he was the only person who could complete the mission because he was special. Not why he was special. So it's almost certain his boss knew who the bomber really was and that the bombings were actually saving more people than they killed.

How though? - It just seemed me that his life was a loop from being born, to being a girl in an orphanage, then having a kid, changing to male, then starting the mission, surely it'd be better just to take him/her out of the equation completely? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom