J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
looking for a pc for relatives
needs to be :

pre built
not particularly spangly
cheap
have windows XP

any thoughts?

i was looking at Dell but they seem to only do Vista now ?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Didn't Dell offer a "downgrade" to XP? You will have to check with them and the deal may have been removed by now.

You may have to buy XP if you can, or if you can't you can always get it "from the usual places" and install it on the machine.

Though to be honest vista is so stable now there are no problems with it. Everyone has to move on at some point :)

Mabs

Didn't Dell offer a "downgrade" to XP? You will have to check with them and the deal may have been removed by now.

You may have to buy XP if you can, or if you can't you can always get it "from the usual places" and install it on the machine.

Though to be honest vista is so stable now there are no problems with it. Everyone has to move on at some point :)

i refuse to use vista, dont like it :)

and cos im going to have to be the one fixing it when they break it, i would rather it was something i was familiar with :)

i looked on the dell site , they did do that, but it appears to have gone
trying to keep the price down, so dont want to have to buy it seperately, and dont want to use shonky stuff either :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
and cos im going to have to be the one fixing it when they break it, i would rather it was something i was familiar with :)
Then don't use vista but put it on, they'll be less likely to break it when it constantly bitches at them for doing X Y & Z

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mabs fella - I skipped XP for Vista (but have XP at work) and haven't looked back once - been very happy indeed with it! Go on, ya stubborn old bastich! :D

Mabs

i am almost contemplating it now its been..fixed somewhat

whats the difference between the home/bussiness/extreme editions ?
worth the cost ? how much better than xp pro is it in real terms ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Then don't use vista but put it on, they'll be less likely to break it when it constantly bitches at them for doing X Y & Z

You can turn all that off not be asked any more questions...so its not a big deal really

I got the Ultimate OEM version just because I dont like to miss out on anything!
:)

Chilly

Balls of steel
dell small business machines still often have xp option. my vostro in march did.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You can turn all that off not be asked any more questions...so its not a big deal really

I got the Ultimate OEM version just because I dont like to miss out on anything!
:)
You're missing my point, he should avoid vista himself but put vista on his parents machine as that bitching will make them less likely to break it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom