Post 50 Blues

• Thread starter LunarDarkShadow
  • Start date
L

LunarDarkShadow

everyone gets the 50 blues.

Roo said this to Brannor, and I've seen that many people tend to quit soon after reaching 50.

Lunar and Jupitus are perilously close to hitting 50 now, and I
would be interested to hear other peoples' experiences of the post 50 effect.

So, how was it for you?

E

erl

Turned 50 about two weeks from now and I am having a blast. Playing more now than before, its so fun to finally stand a chance in emain :)

O

old.Xarr

My play stile got alot more casual when I hit level 50. It wasn't the serious race to the big Five-Oh anymore :) Now I have time to help guildmates with tricky levels, go item-guildhunting, emaining, hadriansing, odin's-ing, level alts here and there etc.

So in short: good for me :D

B

Brannor McThife

Jupitus will have fun, finally being on a slightly more even playing field. The high SBs will probably still kill him. You will be whined at for not mezzing everyone, will probably die faster since everyone will run off to attack leaving you defensless and a primary target for SBs. In the end, you'll find, that there really isn't much of an alternative, since XP now means nothing. You will sit and talk to people a lot (often on the portal pad) and try to arrange hunts for lower level people in your guild.

You will be fully introduced to the realm of RA's, having nowhere else to go you will learn how to hate group-purge, especially when you mezz an entire Hib group, and then they are all group purged. You will be nuked by Luri casters, zerged over as you stand and mezz while the rest of your Albion realm mates flee towards a keep or PK.

You will get your tailoring beyond 601. ;) Remember to carry some talioring stuff with you, so you can do something while sitting on a portal pad.

Oh there's lots of fun stuff to look forward to...

;)

-G

O

old.Noita

Im a recent 50'er as well and I havent noticed that much difference...I still kill monsters as much because Im farming cash for Alchemy, I RvR a little more now than I did in my 48 to 50 phase. I think Ive become a little less selfish now "the pressure" is off from xp'ing, I try and help people with Epics and levelling and getting grps started and so on much more now than I used to because I have the time, of course ... umm I had the time before but I think you'll know what Im trying to say.

I think being 50 is great, theres a huge chunk of the game now (PvE) thats suddenly become optional, but its still there if you want to do it but now for different reasons.

Guess it depends on why you play the game really.

Anyway best of luck for your very last ding :) The sooner you get it the sooner you will be able to walk up the aisle :) Im afraid Im resigned to being an old Maid and left on the shelf, my realm mates seem to think that a grrl who hangs round with a dead person all day is a little weird except male Spiritmasters of course, but who'd want to marry one of them... bloody weirdos :)

Must dash

Toodle Pip :)

A

Alrindel

I play a little less since I hit 50, but I enjoy the time I play more. Less grind, more fun.

O

old.job

Why do they have to stop at 50?
I don't get it, you should be able to carry on and I hope Mythic implement it very soon.
I'm not talkin as a bored 50'er, my main is only 35.

Imagine a dedicated player who gets to 75!!! A good idea would be a cutoff point where after reaching it everyone is notified when and where you logon, with the new patches allowing lowbies to hit higher levels harder, people could organise big grps to come lookin for your @ss.
All you would need is special guards who only spawn and attack extra high level characters.
Other players could help attack these guards,who should give out xp as well, think of the extra fun of takin on REAL high level guards.
Level 50's are 10 a a penny now, we need some Hero's out there, someone for everyone to look up to.

O

old.LandShark

Agreeing somewhat with Alrindel here.
I play less and enjoy some RvR more, however emain still isn't any fun....
Tbh, it's odd. It's like exping is addictive in itself, or hell, maybe i just like my alts too much.

A

Alrindel

I don't get it, you should be able to carry on and I hope Mythic implement it very soon.
The game designers at Mythic have said that they will never ever ever ever ever cross their hearts and hope to die raise the level cap above 50. 50 is as high as it goes, period.

L

-Lonewolf-

To sum it up you spend the entire game trying to hit 50, exping all the time....

Then woohoo you hit 50 finally, then you spend the rest of the game RPing yourself to oblivion...

:clap:

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by old.Noita
Im afraid Im resigned to being an old Maid and left on the shelf...

I'd change that if Kemor changed Glauthrong to a Norse male named Brannor. ;)

But you know...the most common thing I hear Kemor say to us? No special treatment. :(

I don't forget those that give of their own life source to heal me at a keep raid.

-G

M

madferrit

I get the distinct impression that people get pi$$ed off after hitting 50 and get 'bored', but people who hit 24 and goto Thidranki are having a whale of a time.... hmmmmmmmmmm, wonder if Mythic have noticed this one :rolleyes:

B

Brannor McThife

Good observation Ferrit. It's the lack of active RA's (since you get a max of two RA points to spend while there -Thidranki) that make it somewhat nice. Of course, certain classes do own there anyway. But at least the table is somewhat flatter there.

-G

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by Alrindel

The game designers at Mythic have said that they will never ever ever ever ever cross their hearts and hope to die raise the level cap above 50. 50 is as high as it goes, period.

The game designers also said there was no way whatsoever that they could posibly increase the number of character slots above 4. This was just not possible, no way Jose :).

P

Pixie.Pebr

Reason people are having more fun in Thid is they havent been brainstomped by Lyonesse/Malmo/Cursed Forest yet.

We walk into those places young and innocent and come out as maniac bastards with nothing but frustration in us, towards the game and towards other players.

I see (well saw, havent been in thid for a long time...) less egomaniacs in Thid and more teamwork.
Its a smaller place, easier to stick together and most people did stick together, working together.
In Emain people zoom off to do their thing, five minutes later you see the deathspam ;)
---------------------------
But back to the topic at hand.
After hitting 50 Ive had a great time.
The first few days felt weird.
Before 50 I logged on and started looking for groups, while soloing Telamons to get _some_ exp going.
When I found a group I stuck with it and butchered trees.
Log off, go to sleep, wake up, rinse and repeat.
Suddenly there was no need for that and it felt sort of... empty.

After a few days that feeling wore off though and I started to see the game in the new light.
RvRed a lot, both in Emain with the zerg, with smaller groups (both in Emain and further in, as well as in Midgard).
Went to a few places in Albion I had never fully explored.
Help people who need it, be it exping, an Epic, a weapon, advice, whatever.
Spent an hour or two aiding a stranger with her 45 (48?) Epic, showing her where and how to do it.
Why? Because I had the time and didnt have to worry about my own exp.
Roleplaying a bit more now than I did during 45-49.
Slowly levelling an alt (yes! exping IS addictive!).

The game does not stop at 50, it starts.
If you allow it to.

D

Danya

Currently playing any of 6 alts, all of whom are classes with the ability to actually hurt things. Well, I fancied a change....
Ditto for me, but I only have 2 alts. Notice how both are nuke-specced casters :p

Oh and it's 3 RSPs in Thidranki Brannor, you get RR1L3 at 125 RPs.

K

kain_pravus

I'll thank what ever God you want their not raising the level limit beyond lvl 50, it's taken me long enough to reach 43, why because I'm a casual gamer who can't spend that much time constantly exp'ing ZZzzZZzz but I'll level to level 50 then maybe I'll stand a chance in RvR... which is what I'm really after from this game, unfortunately it seems if your not the highest possible level then your not really wanted there.

O

old.marteeny

sorc's view

Massive anti climax when I reached 50. Started to realise how many direct and indirect nerfs sorcs are soon going to get/have already been hit with - reducing the main reason to play post 50 (rvr) to a joke. Brannor has already gone over most of the woes sorcs face in rvr so I wont repeat.

I know I wish I hadnt started and stuck to leveling a sorc to 50, what a big fat waste of time. I never really understood why so many american sorcs quit while I was still into PvE. Now I'm 50 with my main purpose being rvr I can understood all too easily.

But Im not bitter :p

J

Jenkz

stay at lvl 49.5 u can do alomost everything a 50 can do but u still got alittle xping todo the game seems more fun and u can RvR and Xp when u like (in soical xp groups).

Hitting 50 is just evil, nice for a day but then gets old fast.

A

Aeternus

Ah the great 50.... found out my epic armor had nothing useful for my class combination... (yeah im sure they will fix it 5months from now... but it will broken by then...)

Another thing I found out, is that theres nothing to do! Emain... or collect money...

Money basicly for spellcrafting, which is months and months away...

My class isnt even finished yet... will take to the next patch before im up to standards vs other realms tanks. And THEN I have to wait for the patch after that so I get blocking/parry fixed... yey and after that I have to wait for the patch after that so I can can finaly get a lvl50 shield...

Although the rvr dungeon in patch 1-53 im sure will be really fun. But as it is now, I wont reactive my account until next patch... emain zerging just isnt fun...

A

aethtemplar

Hitting 50 was wierd. First the real serious relief at never, ever, having to look another tree or goblin in the face. That feeling is worth the game's price and more. Then like Graham, I found it a bit strange. What do you do with your time and where's the structure ? Basically, you have to make a new structure for yourself.

I'm lucky in that I enjoy RvR. In RvR, to a certain extent, life doesn't really change. You still need your friends to help you find a good group to go kill enemies. But unlike mobs, the new enemies don't stay predictably in the same place. They don't only bring two friends, and they don't handily aim for your tanks leaving your healers and casters intact. It makes it less predictable which can be good or bad : you get a much better buzz from wiping a group of 8 Mids/Hibs than taking down another set of Tanglers or DF Thongbeasts; but when you spend 30 minutes getting a group sorted to go to Emain or Odin's, and then get wiped by a zerg at the milegate without hitting anything, it's frustrating. A night of the former and you're gagging to return. A night of the latter and you wonder why you bother.

If you don't like RvR, or you actually like the predictability of PvE (and that's no bad thing), then I can imagine that things become much more difficult. Another odd thing too : in PvE, people are willing to stand for hours and hours at a time in the same spot, hitting the same 3 or 4 buttons and just amiably chatting. Yet in the frontier, people don't seem as patient. If they're not fighting within 5 minutes, then you can see the frustration/impatience kick in. I think this is one reason why people are always willing to go back to Emain and zerg or be zerged, because they're more or less guaranteed a fight. Keep takes/defences or milegate guards might see you waiting for some time.

Being an officer of a large Guild also makes sure you're never lost for things to do. I feel busier now than I ever was in PvE. This is possibly because RvR, and particularly organising/leading an RvR group or group(s), requires a lot more concentration than f6-f8-style1-style2-sit.

If you're into roleplaying, it probably helps. But having said that, we have 25 level 50s in the Templars now, and rarely have more than 10 on at any one time (usually 5 or 6). I know that most of the ones we see rarely are enjoying levelling alts in other realms or in Albion. So the very unhelpful answer, I suspect, is that you won't know how 50 hits you until you've tried it yourself. Good luck with those final mobs, and give me a shout if you need epic help.

O

old.drac

I was really looking forward to 50, but when i hit it , it was a bit of a letdown, looked around 1 day and saw i was the only 50 in guild. Luckily Df opened a week later so i went seal hunting..after i had the seals i needed, i went seal hunting for guildies. looked around again still the only 50 in guild. went to emain and as a caster i dont move from the apk solo, luckily i found some decent grps sometimes, but the one thing that is essential in rvr is speed. unfortunatley most of the minstrels get quickly snapped up by guild grps...got to a point when i was l-l far from quitting in frustration. guidlies busy lvling..solo in emain..not much fun. then we guild had a bunch of 50's all of a sudden and RvR became fun again...now im taking a break and helping to lvl peeps.
in short if you are with mates or friendly peeps 50 is a blast...if you arent /y LFG and watching a grp speed off into the distance is miserable.

T

Turamber

Being level 50 is GREAT!! :)

You can go hunting mobs and not have to be upset if you die. You've become, at least in the eyes of lower levels, the master of your chosen class ... so you can help them with quests, or just speccing questions. I still get a blast from roaming Salisbury Plains and rezzing the lowbies, and explaining what arcane things like guard, protect, /stick etc. are.

Your time is your own. You are not forced by the game structure to chain yourself to a camp spot for hours xping.

You can spend more time in RvR - and thats where you REALLY learn to master your chosen class. I think a number of the people who moan about being 50 in the posts above haven't mastered their classes or what they are capable of in RvR, and so feel frustrated.

That said, RvR isn't perfect - you will see the imbalances (both perceived when you get 'owned' and those genuine ones) that exist; and you will get seriously peed off with selfish or cowardly acts by those we *have* to be in 'team' Albion with.

The game isn't perfect, but its still hugely enjoyable. Reaching 50 isn't a goal in itself, its the start point for learning what the game is about and throwing yourself into it.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.drac
...now im taking a break and helping to lvl peeps.

... and I thank you wholeheartedly for that sir.....

/Salute

Jup.

... oh, and on-topic? I'll tell you later ;)

A

Alrindel

Originally posted by Bleri McThrust
The game designers also said there was no way whatsoever that they could posibly increase the number of character slots above 4. This was just not possible, no way Jose :).
You have a good point, but the two things are slightly different. For the extra character slots, it was a marketing person who said that they had no real objection to adding more slots but the engineers had told her it would be too difficult to code (until a smarter engineer came along and said, "you know, all we have to do is this and this and then everybody can have twice as many characters." D'oh!

For the "increasing the level cap", it has always been Mark Jacobs, the president of Mythic and lead designer of DAoC who has said that 50 is the limit. There's no technical reason why they couldn't raise it to 60 or 75 or whatever, it's just a design choice. Unless he changes his mind about that, 50 will always be the DAoC endgame.

A

Apathy

I dunno...I'm only lvl 46 just now and only two weeks ago I was determined to get to lvl 50, since I was still lvl 42. And had been at 42 for nearly a month. :S (A mix of playing alts and crafting. Being the only cleric in Thidranki is so much fun!)

So, did 42 -> 45 in two days and did 46 the next weekend. Had a few guild issues and left to join a guild who is active in RvR (And not just on Tuesdays. ~rolls eyes~) and have been RvRing since. It's so much fun! FUUUUUUUN! No more aggravating tree groups ("Why didn't you mezz them all?????") and such like. Feels like at 46 I'm as good as I'm going to get anyway; can't get any new mezzes and already have a decent root.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't even see much point in lvl50 for me just now, when I think I'm doing okay without it. :p Only thing I can see it helping me with is soloing goblins and tanglers. Whoopee!

From now on, it's RvR Monday to Friday and exping at weekends. Mwahaha.

a.

O

old.Elfslayer

Well, I love being lvl 50, no more of that damn boring exping. If they could take the exping out of this game, I would like it even more than I do already. I suppose you have to like rvring or your pretty stuffed once you get to 50, but doing big mob hunts for items can still be fun. Just not that continual exping slog. The prob with PvE is that once you learn how a mob will react the whole thing just gets too predicable.

A

Anu

Getting to 50 is no race u know.. I'm at 43 atm well 43.5 really.

And atm i go RvR and on epic mob raids and help guildies where possibly

If i get a group invite GREAT! if not i've other things i can do. I don't exactly drop like a fly to level 50's in RvR (wub instas :eek: )

I'll get there eventually and not grind myself into the ground expng like mad to do it.

A friend recently hit 50 in 6 1/2 days i think he told me. Now where is the fun there?

B

Brannor McThife

Originally posted by Anu
Getting to 50 is no race u know..

Gawd, the number of times I said this to people while begging them to adventure in Dartmoor, the Barrows, Llyn Barfog, ANYWHERE other than Lyonesse. But to no avail. So I left Albion. I've said it a million times. (quick, someone go count), enjoy the journey, for once you're at the destination, it may not be where you thought you'd be.

-G

Users who are viewing this thread