Possible Shuttle problem

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Gents,

A while back I built a machine for a friend of mine using a Shuttle something-or-other (Jonty will know, since it was his at one time ;)).

Ive just spoken to my friend and whilst he was away on his hols, the street he lives on has been dug up due to a power outage. He tried to start his sguttle and nothing is happening. Checked the fuse etc, but nothing so far.

He's going to bring the machine back, and Im just wondering what to expect. Ive never fried a machine before, and Im unsure if there has been a power spike what will have blown? Im guessing there may be a fuse in the PSU, but what of the mobo or CPU or memory?

When I get the machine I'll try another PSU first, and then work my way through a list that is provided (hopefully) in this thread ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Reset bios first, then try another kettle lead, then PSU.

Imho.

I always do the bios first, you never know :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
I have a spare Shuttle PSU lying around somewhere, if you want it.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I might take you up on that Clown, let me check his machine out and I'll let you know, thanks for that :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Actually I have a spare shuttle psu lying around to

(refuses to be outdone by a clown)

From memory Jonty sold you a sn41 amd shuttle, my psu is from the 62g intel one, not sure if they are compatable. But if clowns doesn't work for you, then its sitting collecting dust.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I believe most Shuttle PSUs, barring perhaps the 300W+ varieties, are interchangable :) You've got a good memory, btw, it was an SN41G2, the model which arguably gained Shuttle it's market leading status.

Good luck solving it, Wil, no doubt it's either something very simple or,failing that, something's horribly fried ;) Most Shuttle parts are replacable, but the motherboards themselves are a little trickier. Still, here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

Kind Regards

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Im actually hoping that its completley fried, I can then write it off, build him a new machine and keep the old bits for a mod project ;)

He's brought it in to work, so I'll try and have a fiddle with it today.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds good :D I'd love to build a new Shuttle myself but the way technology has moved on my existing components couldn't be reused (Socker 478 CPU v Socket 775, DDR RAM v DDR2 RAM, AGP Graphics v PCI-Express). And then there's the new motherboard chipsets which may be require to run Intel's dual-core CPUs, something which is probably worth waiting for. I guess you can never keep up, though :)

Kind Regards

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Reminds me of the time a massive power surge hit our area. I had a quite old ,though marvellous at the time, 21 inch humungous 1/2 a ton monitor. The surge blew it up! But believe it or not we managed to claim on the house insurance and I received a new iiyama 22 inch model - wowsa. Wotta monitor! Still got it and it sure is a joy to use. Was retailing in the shops at the time for around £500.

Back to power surges. My m8 just suffered one and it seems to have damaged only part of the motherboard in that all usb connections are dead along with intermittent failure of the mouse and keyboard ports. I warned him about power-surge protection but did he do anything about it? Mine has since saved me on a number of occasions. Stuff should really be built into motherboards come to think of it.

Oh well - hope you sort it out.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, the guy finally brought his Shuttle in today. Ive just plugged it in at home, turned the power on at the wall and *BOOMF* small shower of sparks and a nasty burning smell.

The PSU is definatley goosed, but Im not sure about the mobo. Im just wondering if the mobo would accept being plugged into a 300watt PSU from another case?

Hmmmm.......

edit// Well, I didnt have a spare 300 watt PSU kicking around, so I used a Qtec 450watt one instead, and yay.....machines booted OK, although the RAM is goosed. Had to put some more in, but now it works a treat :)
:)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Great work, Wil :) Nice to know a regular PSU can be used if all else fails. I believe you can pickup a Shuttle 250W SilentX PSU for around £37 nowadays, if your friend decides just to replace that and the RAM.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom