Rant Possible new job, while getting a new job.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This is starting to be interesting.

As some might know, i've had an "internship", basically agovernment paid trainee period which is rather silly as i know it all. (the company uses it as a cop-out "let's see" period basically.)

Well, "training" over, 9th i get my well-f*cking-deserved contract and bobs your uncle i'm back to the good old fashioned way of making money...paying loans out my a** etc.

Now, this is all fine and dandy, but now, a week before the transition, i got offered a possible new job:

- Out of finland.
- In a warm country (think mallorca etc vacation site)
- double the pay.

The thing is...this is a fine job, but with less pay, t's finnish, and no need to deal with "local language or customs". So it's easier to stay here. Downside, the pay and the job description ain't that good.

The thing about other job is...hell...pay is over 3k/month and taxes +living expenses are piss-all. Job description a dream(game concept and graph design). Downside, moving out of the country(finland is NICE) and dealing with a major-non-english country.

It's a choice between convenience and pay, pay and convenience. And it's raking my brain :D

One option is to get a deal from the highpay and "coerce" better pay from current situation.

Just funny how two years, nothing, and then all pile up at same time.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Depends on you situation Toht, what kind of ties do you have where you are? I dont know how old you are but if your young enough then it would be a great experience to work in other countries. It could also lead on to other things to broaden your horizons by jumping into the unknown, and more experience means more scope in the future when it comes to a better, more well paid job

I wish i'd have had the opportunity to do something like that when i was younger, i had no ties (no GF and complicated shit like that) i think it would have made me a differnet person with a more optomistic outlook on life

Not that i'm bitter you understand...........:twak:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
better to be in a job you enjoy doing. No money can compesate for a shite job tbh. Stay where you are and keep looking.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, only ties are...i only have one tie, it's purple, in my closet, but i consider it a carry-on :D

Most friends have moved off-city, so i see them rarely as is(MSN and phone mostly), family i see over mid-summer/santamas etc, otherwise the same biz. My bro works there already, so it wouldn't be "all alone in big bad world" and i'm 28.

I am diabetic, and the finnish care for it is awesome, but it's no third world country so the medicare should work fine too.

No GF and such.

I guess there's nothing really keeping me from doing it if i get the job there.

Heck, FH and AoC work in other countries too :D

better to be in a job you enjoy doing. No money can compesate for a shite job tbh. Stay where you are and keep looking.

that's the thing, the only sh*te part about the other job is that it's off-country and i like this country.

Guess i need to do a +/- list.

Edmond

Life's too short, and yes apparently these computer thinges work all over the place

Modern technology ehh, amazing

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So on the new job side:

+better pay
+better job
+bro lives there
+cheaper living expenses/more cash for me.
+new country
+internet works all over the place
+hotter babes(grin)

-change not possibly good
-move to new country
-semi non-english
-friends further away
-harder to nail babes :(

This job side:

+finland
+know where i am
+no change
+friends closer

-pay
-job...etc.

F*ck...

Edmond

This job side:

+finland
+know where i am
+no change
+friends closer

-pay
-job...etc.

F*ck...

Its easy to become complacent with what you know. its not as if you'll be on you own out there, unless you have the same problem with your brother as i do, which is that i can only spend about half an hour with him b4 i want to throw him out of the nearest window :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Its easy to become complacent with what you know. its not as if you'll be on you own out there, unless you have the same problem with your brother as i do, which is that i can only spend about half an hour with him b4 i want to throw him out of the nearest window :(

Aye, it's real easy, especially since last time i tried "changing stuff" i got royally f*cked. Kinda makes you go "hmm" :D

Nah, me and my bro are cool, both designers none the less.

Though i would have to "work" for him :flame:

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
had a similar situation in the past. two offers, one a secure job, good pay, away from home/friends.. .the other one less money, cool job, right where I used to live.
opted for the second one and never regrettet it.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
i personally am very much a person who likes to stick to what they know. A big move like that would scare me. But on the other hand i can see the excitement of something major and new, even if i wouldnt pick it

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Spain if you must know.

Hmm. As long as you're white you're alright!

I think it comes down to you're long term aspiritations... maybe you could just take this job for a couple of years, something nice to add on your CV and experience a different way of life then move back to Finland?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Simplify it buddy.

Does the good things about the Spanish job outweight the negative's?

Also does one of the jobs seem like you could be there for x amount of years, or do you suspect it may be a 1 year kinda job

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
As someone whose gone to another country working, I can say that your concerns are valid. If the personal ties are not that great where you are, then consider the move itself.

Where will you be working? Where will you be living? Transport in between? Can you drive? Whats insurance like where your going? Health Insurance? Can you get a decent doctor/pharmacy near to where you live? Common sense stuff you may not think of first.

Then think about what you wish to take with you, and what you want to sell/leave in a storage unit. How much of your life can you pick up and leave with?

All this needs consideration first.

And now, consider yourself. Before you lies two possible futures, in one, you spend the rest of your days sat around in Finland, the land you love, but never really doing much exciting. And next, New Job, New Country and the great unknown...

And thats the clincher. Unknown is big, scary and uncertain, so its understandable if you are hesitant to go through with it... However, answer this question: Can you see yourself doing anything exciting if you take the safe job option?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
For the three upper posts:

Good questions and lot to think about, some that i didn't already.

What it boils down to is this:

I can get a job in the future, so this "safe stay" doesn't mean i'll stay forever. Maybe until i get my loans and such sorted, 2-3 years later, jobs still available.

But i could go now, as there's no real stoppage.

It's a bit like going out to the bar on saturday, sure, you could go next week and hang home that night, but you could meet someone great on THAT saturday.

I'm happy either way(which helps) as the things i want out of life are here already and the things i still need i can get anywhere :D

And one thing is true, you can also f*ck off, either way.

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
In my opinion you should go for the "risky" option. The higher risks could give you greater rewards not just now with the higher pay and lower costs but possibly in the future too.
Many of the great achievers in the world became that way by stepping out of their comfort zone and taking (calculated) risks, and who's to say that you are not one of them?

I wish you the very best of luck whatever you choose.

:cheers:

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Mmm... Spain. :D My first impression is that I'd love to work there. But like others have said, it's best to check up things like health insurance and what aid you can get for your diabetes etc.

Otherwise, one hell of a big plus that negates a lot of the uncertainty factors: you have a brother there!!!! If the new country gets big and scary, he can give you tips and advice and a shoulder to lean on, i'm sure! I'm pretty consverative at heart, but with things laid up nicely as you have it here.. i would seriously consider going for it! If things go crap you can always screw it and go home again. New jobs will always come around, and maybe you can even talk to your old employer if that should happen.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I'd go for it tbh toh if you have no family etc... tying you down
It sounds like a far better quality of life than in the finnish job
End of the day if you dont like it you can always come back

russell

FH is my second home
I'd go for it tbh toh if you have no family etc... tying you down
It sounds like a far better quality of life than in the finnish job
End of the day if you dont like it you can always come back

:iagree:

tierk

Part of the furniture
Spain over Finland any day for reasons you yourself have already expressed. I moved from London to Qatar after 32 years living in London and tbh i wish i had done it years ago.

Change is a wonderful thing and makes you realise that maybe, just maybe, what you thought was a really great place to live /work is actually a big toilet in comparsion.

Go for the big step and move away from home, Finland will not disappear tommorow and you can always head back should need arise. Medical care in Spain is very good, it is after all a EU country, not 3rd world.

Living with Diabetes is no different if you living in Spain or Finland - look at Bin laden he has to have kidney dialysis on a regular basis and he lives in cave somewhere in Afghanistan/Pakistan!!

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
If your unsure about taking the other job, go visit Spain before hand if you can.
Check out the lay of the land, see if it wets your whistle, and make a decision then.
Just a suggestion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If your unsure about taking the other job, go visit Spain before hand if you can.
Check out the lay of the land, see if it wets your whistle, and make a decision then.
Just a suggestion.

Oh yeah, my "interview" with the place is on my vacation. Gonna be there a week or so.

Good suggestions and opinions people, but about "just come back", it's not that simple. If i leave my job here, it's not easy to get back just like that as i need a job back here.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Hang on, you need a job to get back into your country of citizenship?
That blows.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
AH!
Sorry, my mistake, gotcha.

Yeah, thats a problem too. Mind you, if employers see your wiling to travel for a job, they do consider that a bonus (not afraid to travel), and you would be considered a 'Professional' if you have that on your C.V.

Just a thought.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I'd say go for it Tohto. You aint getting any younger :p and it seems like a good opportunity. As others have said, go there for a while and get a feeling of the country and the people and also check up the healthcare as you got special needs.

I can fully understand your doubts, im also one who dont really like to throw myself into new things without a lifeline, but from what you are writing i cant see many drawbacks...

Take a leap dude :)

sayward

Resident Freddy
If you go for it, speaking as one who's been there and done that, first and foremost you must learn the language.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
IF you were a real man you would do this:

Map of Finland
Map of Spain
Bottle of Whiskey

Drink the whiskey till you collapse, the one you collapse on is the winner!

On a serious note:

Really depends on what you feel would be better for you tbh. Spain is nice ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom