Poll: Worst thing about being caster

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
805
1. low hp and paper armor
2. lack of det
3. high resists
4. interrupts

what do U think?

Imo, interrupts





Note: this is not a wajn thread :m00:
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Could list a thousand things but ultimately ...

Being a caster you are often the first targetted and first to die. The rest of the group rakes in rp while you take a dirt nap. Fucking annoying tbh.

Mythic should award realm points to those dead in the group. After all they may not be contributing to the group since they are dead but whatever they did before hand may have made a big difference. (For instance a sorc does an ae mezz but a tank purges it, kills the sorc but the alb group win the battle because of the initial mezz)
 

Lethul

FH is my second home
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
8,433
Pitspawn said:
Could list a thousand things but ultimately ...

Being a caster you are often the first targetted and first to die. The rest of the group rakes in rp while you take a dirt nap. Fucking annoying tbh.

Mythic should award realm points to those dead in the group. After all they may not be contributing to the group since they are dead but whatever they did before hand may have made a big difference. (For instance a sorc does an ae mezz but a tank purges it, kills the sorc but the alb group win the battle because of the initial mezz)
agree, should get rps aslong as your grp is still alive and fighting :)
 

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
2,814
This should be a poll about what is GOOD about being a caster! :p

1) You level quicker than most (if you're a necro).
2) You get picked for RvR groups above most other classes ... wait, that ain't true.
3) You have the highest damage output in the game (or so the manual says).
4) Your presence is always needed on epic raids! You are totally invaluable!! ...because people need their damage add buffs and pow regen?

Yep, Mythic made this a fun game for us casters.
 

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
805
Sissyfoo said:
This should be a poll about what is GOOD about being a caster! :p

1) You level quicker than most (if you're a necro).
2) You get picked for RvR groups above most other classes ... wait, that ain't true.
3) You have the highest damage output in the game (or so the manual says).
4) Your presence is always needed on epic raids! You are totally invaluable!! ...because people need their damage add buffs and pow regen?

Yep, Mythic made this a fun game for us casters.
Well.. pbae casters are easy to lvl up, and in general its very cheap to get SC armor. :p
 

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
2,237
Dunno would have to be the fact casters dominated the game for the first year, but for the 2nd we were only decent.
 

Dafft

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
297
5) Low HP --- imo

come along a gimpavage or bow-user you can kiss 3/4 HP in 1 hit good bye :fluffle:
 

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
272
the worst thing about being a caster, imo, is that we sacrifice a lot for very very little.

ranged damage
our damage output is often unremarkable due to resists that are often in excess of 50% with buffs (i won't mention BAoD etc), and the 'range' aspect is a moot point since we have to stand still to cast, and the distance can be covered rapidly by a tank.

limited utility
casters do have a range of utility, from mez, to pbt, speed chants and damage adds, however the fact that most of these only work whist we're alive makes them rather less usefull than something you'd get from a more durable class like a skald or a mincer.

cloth armour
we have hideously low armour factor, one of the sacrifices we made to be a caster.

low con/hp
coupled with cloth armour we don't have raising con, and thus we're crippled by low hitpoints.

interrupts
the interrupt system renders most casters completely defenceless in close quaters, without investing in expensive RAs like MoC. most caster defensive abilities are along the lines of root or mez, which are shrugged off by most tanks because of Det and AoM and general resist buffs.


these are the main generic problems that face casters i think, certainly from my perspective as a rm, sm and bd in midgard. it all adds up to casters being of very limited use, especially in mid.

rash generalisation, but due to the above issues:

- we suck vs tanks
- we suck vs stealthers
- we can hold our own vs casters

the trade off we made for being able to do massive ranged damage was, in theory, our fragility. the reality is that our massive ranged ramage is not so massive, and thats when we're able to get the spell off or its not completely resisted. the addition of det has made many casters increasingly obselete in this time of CC warfare.

i cba to tpye more, too tired :)
 

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 23, 2004
Messages
1,395
yep, tanks coming in at speed6 the "ranged" thing starts to be a bit wierd, you see a tank and he´s allready 500 away before you can fire your first spell... PS i´m not a caster, but I feel bad for them :mad:
 

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
2,237
Just remember the days where you could dd, dd, root, dd, dd, root etc until the tank was dead ^^
Or the days where you could 1 shot any caster.
Or the days where you could defend keeps from 3fg solo.
Or even the days where you could debuff someone then 3 shot tanks. Oh wait thats today.
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Rulke said:
Or the days where you could 1 shot any caster.
This is actually very true. Back when inflam was fire (like 16-18 months ago) one shotting casters and light armoured classes was a regularity. Back then there was no spellcrafted armour, only dropped stuff. Many had low resists and only a very few had buffbots. Back then casters could get 100% crits, oh my god that really was insane.

Not to say that i still dont get enjoyment of playing a caster now. TBH its not the damage output that is lacking its our defence. Spellcrafting didnt help much vs melee but helped resists vs nuke massively. Hearing of tanks with 2000 WS is pretty common now too, so melee damage is at a whole new level. Casters imo are too weak for what they are. Personally i would like to see a few things put in to help casters...

> Armour Factor bonus from self shield upped marginally (Maybe 300AF instead of 250AF). After all we already have at best 10% absorb, ghetto AF and the lowest hp of all classes in the game.
> Casters using staves to be granted an untrainable parry (base 5%)
> Id also like to see all casters who dont have castable pets granted with runspeed.
 

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,071
casters work like a clock if you have a good guard.

1. low hp and paper armor - its a pain, but as i said, with a good guard, life is easier

2. lack of det - not having det is a pain but with it i fear we would be over powered and due a nerf.

3. high resists - with assisting (debuffed or not) resistance can be but a very small problem

4. interrupts - well, yes this is a pain but if you can get away without being snared you have a good chance to make a difference, not boxing on every attempt is the best way to avoid interrupts.

you must always look on the bright side when it comes to casters. its very hard but atleast you're not FOTM easy mode class.
 

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
272
Rulke said:
Just remember the days where you could dd, dd, root, dd, dd, root etc until the tank was dead ^^
Or the days where you could 1 shot any caster.
Or the days where you could defend keeps from 3fg solo.
Or even the days where you could debuff someone then 3 shot tanks. Oh wait thats today.
1) root is on an immunity timer, plus det effects root, so you can't dd dd root dd dd root etc until the tank is dead.

2) only bolt casters can one-shot other casters, which is what they are specc'd for. bolt casters are like caster snipers... every 20 seconds anyway

3) if 3fg cannot take out one caster in a keep, then those 3fg really need to get their act together. one stealther would do it, or some gtaoe classes, a treb, a pet class...

4) when you talk about debuffing and 3 nuke killing, you're talking about a very limited range of casters. casters cannot debuff their own damage in a specc'd line; plus resists are being nerfed in the coming patch. debuffing resists is the only way a caster can do significant damage to a tank.

debuff (2s), nuke (2s), nuke (2s), nuke (2s) : that's 8 seconds from the initital attack to cover the 1500 range and attack the caster, where you can 2 hit kill him.
 

Pitspawn

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
63
Nuked said:
casters work like a clock if you have a good guard.
Aye yes I overlooked that. Last night was running a small guild group and had one of our paladins keeping near me, slamming enemies that attacked our casters and he had guard on me. At one point i had a hero come up and started to attack me. The guard meant that almost every swing made on me was blocked and i nuked him at pb range :clap:

Shame most paladins hate playing defence :( Also a shame that guard is pretty crap vs duel wield classes :/
 

Bonehead

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
1,217
rivan said:
rash generalisation, but due to the above issues:

- we suck vs tanks
- we suck vs stealthers
- we can hold our own vs casters
I don't know what you are talking about.. :touch:
 

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
2,237
rivan said:
1) root is on an immunity timer, plus det effects root, so you can't dd dd root dd dd root etc until the tank is dead.

2) only bolt casters can one-shot other casters, which is what they are specc'd for. bolt casters are like caster snipers... every 20 seconds anyway

3) if 3fg cannot take out one caster in a keep, then those 3fg really need to get their act together. one stealther would do it, or some gtaoe classes, a treb, a pet class...

4) when you talk about debuffing and 3 nuke killing, you're talking about a very limited range of casters. casters cannot debuff their own damage in a specc'd line; plus resists are being nerfed in the coming patch. debuffing resists is the only way a caster can do significant damage to a tank.

debuff (2s), nuke (2s), nuke (2s), nuke (2s) : that's 8 seconds from the initital attack to cover the 1500 range and attack the caster, where you can 2 hit kill him.

Pffft noob casters :rolleyes:

It's not my fault you decided to roll a caster after their nerfing, but for a year or more they were gods. What goes around comes around tbh.

P.S. You're talking to one of the earliest (if not the first) "darkcarver" specced RMs on the server (thanks to mispeccing while levelling, but nm ^^) so I know just how stupidly overpowered debuff nuking is.
 

Nuked

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,071
Pitspawn said:
Aye yes I overlooked that. Last night was running a small guild group and had one of our paladins keeping near me, slamming enemies that attacked our casters and he had guard on me. At one point i had a hero come up and started to attack me. The guard meant that almost every swing made on me was blocked and i nuked him at pb range :clap:

Shame most paladins hate playing defence :( Also a shame that guard is pretty crap vs duel wield classes :/
i never did understand how they can hate being defensive, its not as if the offensive damage output is high, and playing defence well is the key to the groups offence winning.
 

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
272
Rulke said:
Pffft noob casters :rolleyes:

It's not my fault you decided to roll a caster after their nerfing, but for a year or more they were gods. What goes around comes around tbh.

P.S. You're talking to one of the earliest (if not the first) "darkcarver" specced RMs on the server (thanks to mispeccing while levelling, but nm ^^) so I know just how stupidly overpowered debuff nuking is.
18 months + is hardly n00b, and caster's past prominence does not factor into the current state of rvr does it? it shouldn't, at least.

just because we were good, doesn't mean we should now be shit. ballance is what's needed, not moving from one extreme to another. middle-ground.

and ps: i know who you are, but that doesn't give you a licence to talk down to me :(

pps: talking more about my rm than my bd, bonehead :)
 

Gorre

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
389
lagabuse..
it pisses me off insanely
you face xxxx
you prepare to quickcast your next spell
you begin casting veil of senility
TARGET IS NOT IN SIGHT

and the inbalance between the nr of interupts available to each class and interuptcode...

anyway still prefer casters more then tanks
at least it takes some skill and thinking
if you make a mistake being a clothbearer it will be critical, as a tank who cares stick and spam! :p
 

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
2,237
rivan said:
18 months + is hardly n00b, and caster's past prominence does not factor into the current state of rvr does it? it shouldn't, at least.

just because we were good, doesn't mean we should now be shit. ballance is what's needed, not moving from one extreme to another. middle-ground.

and ps: i know who you are, but that doesn't give you a licence to talk down to me :(
And explaining how immunity timers work wasn't talking down to me?
 

Silverblast

One of Freddy's beloved
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
604
Nuked said:
i never did understand how they can hate being defensive, its not as if the offensive damage output is high, and playing defence well is the key to the groups offence winning.
End Radius is not v big ^^.
 

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
678
Worsed thing imo:

After mezz, i many resist mezz (dont ask why). If i dare to move, 5 stelths on me. Same if you run solo, stelths get the caster, never seen a hero got attacked by a stelth. Like kicking the smaler kids isnt it? :p

greetz
 

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
272
Rulke said:
And explaining how immunity timers work wasn't talking down to me?
not really no, since you wrote something incorrect to illustrate a point.
 

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
2,237
What was incorrect? Everything I listed you could do at one point. Immunity timers weren't until 1.4x iirc
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom