Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The least wise thing to do..would be to break its promises and cast the country loose into a dangerous world in the midst of the steepest downturn of the British economy in 3 centuries.
And yet they're still going to do exactly that because COVID-19 gives them the most perfect opportunity they're ever going to have to blame something/someone other than themselves when the shit properly hits the fan.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Government's stance not looking too popular with the people:

Compass

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So the UK is adhering to the withdrawal agreement and political declaration yes?

Whilst playing totally hardball with the US by agreeing with all their demands?

Cool.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the UK is adhering to the withdrawal agreement and political declaration yes?

Cool.
Pipe down, Project Fear!

Embattle

FH is my second home

Cool.

Oh please beyond the fact the political declaration isn't even legally binding is the more important fact that most of the political declaration in terms of detail is woefully light, both sides are now back filling the detail but this is naturally done with each side pushing their own interest and shock horror each side doesn't accept certain aspects of the detail being provided by the other side. What I find truly repulsive is the way remainers seem to be so ready to kowtow to whatever the EU wants, to the point they seem to agree with facts the EU seems to make regarding the PD even when there version of it isn't in the PD.

Firstly the UK/EU and UK/USA trade deals are not really alike, even then there is still no guarantee the one with the USA will be done because each side has to give a little and something may cost too much to be worth accepting which for the UK is undoubtedly tamping with the NHS. I personally don't think chlorinated chicken is a torpedo to the deal for the current UK government, I've said before it's not something I intend to eat and as long as it isn't something that is allowed to camouflage itself with non-chlorinated chicken I don't have a personal issue with it.

Again there are many points we could explore but as I've said before unlike some others I find these sorts of things largely a complete waste of time to type, those who lost the referendum and then tried and finally failed to stall the result will continue posting stuff that doesn't change the outcome nor really affect those that voted to leave.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Also the Political Declaration does have some legal force but that’s besides the point when they are welching on the Withdrawal Agreement even.

Even without legal force the fact is that unless the UK abides by commitments in the Political Declaration the EU will not give us a deal and do you still think that will hurt the EU more than the UK?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Apart from 10 which of the promises are they going to keep?

Embattle

FH is my second home
The referendum was won with bullshit like the photo here which even you know is not going to happen:

View: https://twitter.com/day4_carole/status/1268900271339569153

What happen to the recession upon voting leave?

Even without legal force the fact is that unless the UK abides by commitments in the Political Declaration the EU will not give us a deal and do you still think that will hurt the EU more than the UK?

Already clearly answered, but since you perhaps didn't grasp what I was saying I will give you two prime examples but quite frankly I suspect it'll be the last time I'll bother since some people are bound to come back with more rubbish. As stated the PD lacks detail and now each side is now filling out said detail it is resulting in two quite different versions from one text:

XII. FISHING OPPORTUNITIES

71. The Parties should cooperate bilaterally and internationally to ensure fishing at sustainable levels, promote resource conservation, and foster a clean, healthy and productive marine environment, noting that the United Kingdom will be an independent coastal state.

72. While preserving regulatory autonomy, the Parties should cooperate on the development of measures for the conservation, rational management and regulation of fisheries, in a nondiscriminatory manner. They will work closely with other coastal states and in international fora, including to manage shared stocks.

73. Within the context of the overall economic partnership the Parties should establish a new fisheries agreement on, inter alia, access to waters and quota shares.

74. The Parties will use their best endeavours to conclude and ratify their new fisheries agreement by 1 July 2020 in order for it to be in place in time to be used for determining fishing opportunities for the first year after the transition period.

I'm interested where the current EU fishing demands can really be seen in the above part of the PD, in fact our independent coastal status can take a run and jump as they still want the same rights as under the current CFP and naturally this is a long term deal.

XIV. LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR OPEN AND FAIR COMPETITION

77. Given the Union and the United Kingdom's geographic proximity and economic interdependence, the future relationship must ensure open and fair competition, encompassing robust commitments to ensure a level playing field. The precise nature of commitments should be commensurate with the scope and depth of the future relationship and the economic connectedness of the Parties. These commitments should prevent distortions of trade and unfair competitive advantages. To that end, the Parties should uphold the common high standards applicable in the Union and the United Kingdom at the end of the transition period in the areas of state aid, competition, social and employment 15 standards, environment, climate change, and relevant tax matters. The Parties should in particular maintain a robust and comprehensive framework for competition and state aid control that prevents undue distortion of trade and competition; commit to the principles of good governance in the area of taxation and to the curbing of harmful tax practices; and maintain environmental, social and employment standards at the current high levels provided by the existing common standards. In so doing, they should rely on appropriate and relevant Union and international standards, and include appropriate mechanisms to ensure effective implementation domestically, enforcement and dispute settlement. The future relationship should also promote adherence to and effective implementation of relevant internationally agreed principles and rules in these domains, including the Paris Agreement.

I mean firstly besides the fact that in this area some countries remaining in the EU (Germany, France, etc) are some of the biggest offenders for breaking such rules it leaves us open to any changes they want to make to the rules to benefit themselves, naturally without any say and now they want the ECJ to have a say which again is something that is just never likely to get any agreement from the current government.

Again I could probably go on and on but it would be largely pointless, it is what it is and at the moment I give a slim chance of getting an agreement and not because of time but because of all the different things each EU country wants means it'll naturally be not only impossible from the UK side but also probably from the EU side as well.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Enjoy no deal then.

/edit: posted that at the facepalms.

We SOLD our fishing rights.

Level playing field was in the Declaration and doesn’t need to involve the ECJ. We are not going to call the EU’s bluff. They will let us go without a deal

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
These are all just tedious snags that have gone before the EU and will go on long after we leave.
We deal with the rest of Europe based on our economic clout and most of this is smoke and mirrors.

The ONLY thing that is important is that we are hopefully leaving based on a democratic vote...good or bad for once, it proved it actually works.
Remainers dont like it because democracy is apparently only a good thing when it goes their way..thats it.

When we look back in 50yrs, a tiny economic hit will go unnoticed, all that will be remembered is unlike may European countries Britain actually let the people speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom