Political Correctness (again)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Sharma said:
It's the same for the disability legislation etc, it's there for a reason yet in some cases it's fucking stupid and open to abuse.

I'm pretty sure there would be an opportunity for someone who is say, wheelchair bound to apply for a job not suitable for them, so basically the company turns them down in favour of someone more well suited, they're quite welcome to abuse the legislation and sue over it.

Same for the other ones, a woman could easily sue a company if they took a bloke over her (Even if he was better qualified) because lawyers can easily abuse the fact that she's a woman and may have been discriminated against.

These legislations bring in massive opportunities for abuse, they don't clarify the laws enough to prevent it either.

For the first point, the DDA is a pretty toothless piece of legislation, mainly it's about providing access to employment and then it doesn't apply to most companies. The sitiuation you postulate would almost never occur.

The second is pure scaremongering. There is very little case law to back up yoru claim and bearing in mind sex discrimination has been around a long time now. In the most cases the issues brough up are pay, where women are not being paid equally for doing the same job as men, in some cases doing exactly the same job and getting better reqults but being paid significently less (i have personal involvement in at least 2 cases of this)

The laws are clarified enough, where are all these women sueing companies for not getting jobs?

It's just scared white hetero men scaremongering because they can't stand the fact that their privilidged position is being compromised.

As i said before, as long as people continue to act in a discriminatory way when it comes to employment and services there needs to be laws to counter this. ANYONE who says otherwise is supporting and condoning the discrimination.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Sharma said:
It's the same for the disability legislation etc

i think its also the same that if companies don't have a certain number of none-white people they are claimed to be discriminating so are forced to hire people of none-white origin even if they are not suitable.
didn't this happen in the police force?

but i guess positive discrimination is fine, as long it keeps the numbers balanced ?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
i think its also the same that if companies don't have a certain number of none-white people they are claimed to be discriminating so are forced to hire people of none-white origin even if they are not suitable.
didn't this happen in the police force?

but i guess positive discrimination is fine, as long it keeps the numbers balanced ?
There are no government set quotas for race, sex and won't be for sexuality, i can't remember about disability, but hte DDA only really applies to public institutions and was an exceptionally obtuse bit of legislation. As always people scaremonger about things they don't actually know about...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Its just bollocks. The government and its soapy supporters can say what they like about the greater good but people do things because they want to, not becuase they have to.
Gays can already book double rooms if they want to, it doesnt need a law for christs sake. Its just NuLab pretending to be doing something about a problem they pretend exists. Its all fucking shit.

tris-

yaruar said:
There are no government set quotas for race, sex and won't be for sexuality, i can't remember about disability, but hte DDA only really applies to public institutions and was an exceptionally obtuse bit of legislation. As always people scaremonger about things they don't actually know about...

just something i read, not something i know a lot about.

whats the point in the equal opportunity section in an application form. it shouldn't matter if the person is Japanese or white British. and if its not for making sure they provide equal opportunities, why is it called that?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
just something i read, not something i know a lot about.

whats the point in the equal opportunity section in an application form. it shouldn't matter if the person is Japanese or white British. and if its not for making sure they provide equal opportunities, why is it called that?
Thats for internal monitoring purposes which is something companies can do if they wish, it's bugger all to do with the law.

tris-

so what is exactly the point in "equal opportunities" if it makes no difference to anything and no one needs to know about it.
why would a company need to know how many white people they are employing?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
throdgrain said:
Its just bollocks. The government and its soapy supporters can say what they like about the greater good but people do things because they want to, not becuase they have to.
Gays can already book double rooms if they want to, it doesnt need a law for christs sake. Its just NuLab pretending to be doing something about a problem they pretend exists. Its all fucking shit.
No, the problem does exist, friends of mine have been sacked for being gay, are you telling me i'm making it up? The whole room booking thing and church thing is a minor point, this law is mainly about Employment and services, or are you too far up your own arse to actually get the point there are people out there being discriminated against on a daily basis. Or do you just support the discrimination, in which case you aren't worth bothering with.
Or do you just NOT GET THE BLOODY POINT?

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
so what is exactly the point in "equal opportunities" if it makes no difference to anything and no one needs to know about it.
why would a company need to know how many white people they are employing?
Internal monitoring, as i said, is for companies to do with what they will, a lot have their own rules in place which go further than the government ones, some also do it to cover themselves. A lot do it just to see how diverse they actually are.

The legislation does make a difference, it inshrines in law the principal of fairness, and there have been 1000's of cases where companies have been brought to task for their discriminatory practices.

tris-

yaruar said:
Internal monitoring, as i said, is for companies to do with what they will, a lot have their own rules in place which go further than the government ones, some also do it to cover themselves.

to cover them selves, which surely means then the info means something?

im not trying be a bastard btw, i am interested. because i never fill those fucking forms in, but i always wonderd why they mattered if there is no laws in place.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
to cover them selves, which surely means then the info means something?

im not trying be a bastard btw, i am interested. because i never fill those fucking forms in, but i always wonderd why they mattered if there is no laws in place.

Perhaps its to stop the aforementioned abuse of the legislation. If someone tries to sue them for being discriminatory they have statistical evidence to prove they employ minorities.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
yaruar said:
No, the problem does exist, friends of mine have been sacked for being gay, are you telling me i'm making it up?

Elaborate please.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
yaruar said:
No, the problem does exist, friends of mine have been sacked for being gay, are you telling me i'm making it up? The whole room booking thing and church thing is a minor point, this law is mainly about Employment and services, or are you too far up your own arse to actually get the point there are people out there being discriminated against on a daily basis. Or do you just support the discrimination, in which case you aren't worth bothering with.
Or do you just NOT GET THE BLOODY POINT?

The point is BULLSHIT MATE, thats the point.
Where I work theres one gay, bloody aweful mincing twat imo, but he has a job and dont get discrimintated against as far as i can see.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
The point is BULLSHIT MATE, thats the point.
Where I work theres one gay, bloody aweful mincing twat imo, but he has a job and dont get discrimintated against as far as i can see.

Right, so you know a gay with a job. Therefore ALL gays do not get discriminated against in the work place. QED.

You crack me up Throd :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
nath said:
Right, so you know a gay with a job. Therefore ALL gays do not get discriminated against in the work place. QED.

You crack me up Throd :D

But at least Im honest mate :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Actually, allow me to explain. You see, I take things as I find them. Hnece my comment above. I dont, and will never , need a interfereing government telling me what to think and what to do. Especially one as self-serving and untrustworthy as this has become.
I dont , to be honest, like gays as an idea, as a concept, but what people do behind closed doors is up to them. I fucking dont like the "only gay in the village " types like that **** at work.
there, serious answer, now on with the PC baiting :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's all well and good, but the country is bigger than just you mate. Plus, no one is telling you what to think, it's just telling people not to let what they think adversely affect other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom