News Police to blind protesters with lasers!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
According to auntie an "unnamed" UK police force is going to trial a laser gun that will temporarily blind protesters.

Nice that it's not on the normal beeb but it's on newsbeat - so the y00f can become scared.

Expect protesters to start carrying fuckloads of laser pens to shine in police eyes and at the helicopter pilots in response :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Surely thats a military weapon? I wonder if anyones testing the various sonic weapons that are also used v Somalian Pirates.

I thought the recent threat of rubber bullets being used at an organised protest was unacceptable - they didnt use them on rioters but they'd use them on protestors - what sort of message does that send?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
what sort of message does that send?

This, hopefully:

Protest peacefully and we'll be happy to help. Act like a bunch of rowdy twats, place the public in danger, smash shop windows and deface public monuments, and you'll pay the price. When we legally ask you to move along, when we demand that you stop causing damage, you'd better fucking do it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
This, hopefully:

Protest peacefully and we'll be happy to help. Act like a bunch of rowdy twats, place the public in danger, smash shop windows and deface public monuments, and you'll pay the price. When we legally ask you to move along, when we demand that you stop causing damage, you'd better fucking do it.

Yeaaahh...because the police never, ever, ever go over the top on protesters who are peacefully going about their business. Noooo, never.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'll bet its the Met - I imagine the conversation went like this:

Home office: So guys what do you need to do your job and protect london against mobs of unarmed teenagers?

Met Policeman: Unarmed teens - hell we'd need fricken Laser beams!!!!

Home office: Ok.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeaaahh...because the police never, ever, ever go over the top on protesters who are peacefully going about their business. Noooo, never.

Can you show me footage of UK police deploying rubber bullets, batons, mounted charges, or anything similar, against peaceful protesters?

Himse

FH is my second home
Can you show me footage of UK police deploying rubber bullets, batons, mounted charges, or anything similar, against peaceful protesters?

I await him to bring up the case of the guy who got pushed over and died.

soze

I am a FH squatter
This should be fun some people believe you should be able to take a police officers hat off take and shit in it and put it back while he stands there doing nothing.

DaGaffer

See the post after yours. And speaking as someone who wasn't even part of a protest and was "kettled" for his troubles anyway (I was wearing a suit ffs), you'll forgive me if I don't trust members of Her Majesty's Cuntstabulary as much as you do.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh no, kettling! So awful! Being held in a certain place for a period of time, nooooooos! The violence of it all!

;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The actions of one officer don't demonstrate official policy, which is probably why that officer will, in a few months, be in court.

Were a laser weapon to be used, it would be a decision that came down the command chain. I very much doubt that that officer's superior ordered him to shove Ian Tomlinson out of the way.

So, as I asked, please show me an example relevant to my question. Something which supports your assertion that the police having such a weapon would make it likely to be abused. Oh and I laughed at your assertion that people wearing suits don't cause bother.

DaGaffer

Oh no, kettling! So awful! Being held in a certain place for a period of time, nooooooos! The violence of it all!

;)

Yeah, you know what? Fuck you. No-one should have the right to hold citizens against their will indiscriminately even for ten minutes, never mind the two hours I was stuck off Oxford Street.

And Tom, my "assertion" was that I was a 40 year old bloke in a suit who was on his way home. Hardly the profile of a G8 protestor. But of course that hardly matters does it? Be a good little citizen and shut the fuck up and stand in that corner.

As for "is it likely to be abused?" "Abused" is the wrong word, "misused" is more appropriate, and please don't tell me the police don't misuse the technology at their disposal. Please don't tell me the police don't misuse the legal apparatus at their disposal (mr. photography), so why the fuck would a laser be any different? Which is actually why I don't believe the story anyway. I often wonder why water cannon weren't used during the riots; probably because the Commissioner was terrified of what the cops would do with it, and this would probably be the same; they'd shit themselves about some gung-ho woodentop burning someone's retinas off.

rynnor

Rockhound
Tom said:
Oh and I laughed at your assertion that people wearing suits don't cause bother.

You have video of middle aged blokes in suits causing trouble at demonstrations then?

Himse

FH is my second home
Yeah, you know what? Fuck you. No-one should have the right to hold citizens against their will indiscriminately even for ten minutes, never mind the two hours I was stuck off Oxford Street.

And Tom, my "assertion" was that I was a 40 year old bloke in a suit who was on his way home. Hardly the profile of a G8 protestor. But of course that hardly matters does it? Be a good little citizen and shut the fuck up and stand in that corner.

As for "is it likely to be abused?" "Abused" is the wrong word, "misused" is more appropriate, and please don't tell me the police don't misuse the technology at their disposal. Please don't tell me the police don't misuse the legal apparatus at their disposal (mr. photography), so why the fuck would a laser be any different? Which is actually why I don't believe the story anyway. I often wonder why water cannon weren't used during the riots; probably because the Commissioner was terrified of what the cops would do with it, and this would probably be the same; they'd shit themselves about some gung-ho woodentop burning someone's retinas off.

You could've just avoided it?

I was at work on the protest days, I just avoided it, I had to walk an extra 5 minutes or so, but who cares.

If you're in the protest crowd expect to be held, deal with it.

DaGaffer

You could've just avoided it?

I was at work on the protest days, I just avoided it, I had to walk an extra 5 minutes or so, but who cares.

If you're in the protest crowd expect to be held, deal with it.

I worked on Regent Street and was trying to avoid the main road to get up to Oxford Circus and was heading up towards Carnaby Street. You couldn't get out; all the side roads were being closed off and you were effectively filtered onto that side street across from Liberty. I was actually stopped from backtracking and going back to Piccadilly Circus. It was fucking ridiculous because I'd say maybe 1 in 10 of the people there (if that) had anything to do with the protests. They wouldn't even let a pregnant woman out until that almost started a mini-riot in its own right. That evening did more to alienate me from British justice and our wonderful police force than anything else in my life, and I say the same applied for most of the people held there.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would like to see how many armed police officers there are in the Met and then how many unauthorised shootings there have been. A laser weapon would be as regulated as a firearm or a taser and therefore i doubt it would be abused. Look at the crap from the Raul Moat shooting for using the wrong kind of taser, our polices are held very accountable for their actions and its the reason they are so spineless that a load of hoodie wearing mugs took over parts of our capital for nights at a time.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

My point was the kettling is inherently non-violent, and you were using it as a point that proves violent acts by police on peaceful protesters.

Also, why do you think what you are wearing should make a difference to how they treat you?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Surely thats a military weapon?

Yep. They've been using them in Iraq and Afghanistan (pre-safety tests of course).

I can't imagine it will ever happen

You don't need to imagine. The government has announced the test. No imagination required.

This :)

Can you show me footage of mounted protesters, armed with rubber bullets and batons, using them against the oh-so-peaceful police? :p

I'll volunteer the case of the guy who, despite not attending a protest, having his hands in his pockets and walking away from the line of well-equipped officers, got battoned in the back by a violent cop and then died...

Fixed. But thanks for bringing it up :)

Its not as if the cops need a protest. Remember Jean Charles De Menezes? Better known as "the case of the brazilian commuter who got shot seven times in the head and then labelled a potential terrorist in a nicely orchestrated misinformation campaign"?

:D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My point was the kettling is inherently non-violent, and you were using it as a point that proves violent acts by police on peaceful protesters

Actually, I'd argue that disallowing people to piss or shit for 12 hours, regardless of whether they're involved in a peaceful protest or not, is an act of violence.

It's painful, it provocative, unjust and when the few who can't stand it any more turn to violence plod and the beeb get their nice TV pictures to boot.

They wouldn't even let a pregnant woman out until that almost started a mini-riot in its own right. That evening did more to alienate me from British justice and our wonderful police force than anything else in my life

Police strip search babies (happens to a mate every time he goes*) on the way into protest camps on the pretext of searching them for offensive weapons. They know parents tend to be hugely offended by this and understand that the beeb'll be showing pictures of said parents angry-shouting-action at the coppers later on...and nothing turns viewers against people on the telly like someone shouting in the face of a copper....

*And before some tit comes up with "why are you taking your kids to a protest" - protest camps tend to be festival-like in their atmosphere, they're family-driven (as are protesters) and children are usually very well catered for. And where the fuck are they supposed to put them if they can't take them with them?

Chilly

Balls of steel
I think almost every time the police have started deploying dodgy tactics is when there are so many people out that the threat of violence is pretty much a promise. It's their job to protect property and to keep people safe- PROACTIVELY.

I think, frankly, that the rights of the shop owners and vehicle owners, along with the general public who might be kept away from rioting, has to be very carefully balanced against some badly informed commuters right to get home quickly. Sometimes people get caught up in things, but in a free (on average) society, someone has to lose out occasionally and it's the mark of a calm and rational person that they recognise this and don't instantly fly off the handle at the slightest ingress into their personal space or plan by the authorities.

I got stopped and searched a couple of times when I was out and about taking photos of the Ealing rioters - it annoyed me but I complied (even though I could probably have refused) because I knew that the police have to be even handed and were trying to catch thieves leaving with loot or with weapons.

Zenith

Part of the furniture

;)
Coming from someone that have been in numerous international and local protests, in a majority of cases, violence from the protesters come as a response due to them being unsetteled, hungry, and angry for being kettled in stupid places. Then, ofcourse, is the minority of cunts.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Police strip search babies (happens to a mate every time he goes*) on the way into protest camps on the pretext of searching them for offensive weapons. They know parents tend to be hugely offended by this and understand that the beeb'll be showing pictures of said parents angry-shouting-action at the coppers later on...and nothing turns viewers against people on the telly like someone shouting in the face of a copper....

Right, so now the police have a policy of provoking verbal abuse, just so the protesters look bad on the telly.

Or maybe it's the case that some protesters have used their children to smuggle things they shouldn't have, and the police are making sure they don't get away with it.

I wonder which is more likely?

megadave

I am a FH squatter

;)
It's actually quite shit when you're stuck somewhere for eight hours, no food, no drink, no toilets and with long periods of being squashed/crushed by crowd/police pushes.

DaGaffer

I think almost every time the police have started deploying dodgy tactics is when there are so many people out that the threat of violence is pretty much a promise. It's their job to protect property and to keep people safe- PROACTIVELY.

I think, frankly, that the rights of the shop owners and vehicle owners, along with the general public who might be kept away from rioting, has to be very carefully balanced against some badly informed commuters right to get home quickly. Sometimes people get caught up in things, but in a free (on average) society, someone has to lose out occasionally and it's the mark of a calm and rational person that they recognise this and don't instantly fly off the handle at the slightest ingress into their personal space or plan by the authorities.

I got stopped and searched a couple of times when I was out and about taking photos of the Ealing rioters - it annoyed me but I complied (even though I could probably have refused) because I knew that the police have to be even handed and were trying to catch thieves leaving with loot or with weapons.

Sanctimonious much? Who said I was badly informed? As it happens, I was told by a CPSO to avoid Regent Street and take a alternative route; which led me basically into a trap. Who said I flew off the handle? I very rarely show my annoyance in public (apart from behind the wheel - like everybody else), and I was pretty patient for the first 45 minutes or so. When I realised the fuckers had no intention of letting us go anywhere, or even tell us what was going on, that's when I got annoyed. We were about 50 feet from the the Tube station. A sensible policy would have been to filter people out in groups, but noo, that would have been PROACTIVE, and that only matters if you give a rat's arse about public opinion. The police rely on the support of the public, so it makes very little sense to make large swathes of them sympathise with a bunch of hippies.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or maybe it's the case that some protesters have used their children to smuggle things they shouldn't have, and the police are making sure they don't get away with it.

I have no doubt that babies have been used to conceal things they don't want police to find.

But, how many? The principle of strip searching every baby going into a protest camp is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It's a disgrace to treat people as criminals simply because they attend protests - the vast majority are law abiding citizens.

Dis-grace :eek:

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Saw this on the news years ago in one of those non-depressing news bits they have at the end, dismissed it as a police fantasy that would never be authorised for use..............

Himse

FH is my second home
Fixed. But thanks for bringing it up :)

Its not as if the cops need a protest. Remember Jean Charles De Menezes? Better known as "the case of the brazilian commuter who got shot seven times in the head and then labelled a potential terrorist in a nicely orchestrated misinformation campaign"?

Honestly you puzzle me.
Alright, the police shot him, a mistake yes because he wasn't a terrorist, but excuse me if you're running away when ordered to stop with a huge back pack on that could potentially be full of explosives, you can't complain when you're shot at.

Obviously you believe EVERYTHING you read in the paper and only see that side, what if the guy who was pushed over wanted to be mouthy? I don't know the whole story but he just shouldn't be there in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom