poke some holes please (no Wij, not that one)

T

Testin da Cable

as I've managed to get a mate to buy my current gaming poota, I've dreamed up a new one (in components). I'd like you to take some potshots at this with regard to possible variations (and why you'd do it). go, go, go!! and thankie!

1x AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (2,08GHz, 333MHz FSB)
2x 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, CAS2, Platinum Heatspreader (Corsair)
1x Asus A7N8X (Sound, LAN) -not too sure about this mobo tbh-
1x ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
1x 3COM 100Mbit nic -have this already-
1x Adaptec2940UW SCSI -have this already-
1x WD 80Gb/8Mb -have this already-
1x Plextor 40x UltraPlex SCSI CDROM -have this already-
1x Plextor 8x UltraPlex SCSI burner -have this already-
1x Zalman CNPS6000CU
1x Lian-Li Borg Cube -have this already-
1x 450W Enermax EG465AX-VE FMA -have to check the 'cubes psu first though-

I'll be using the mobo's onboard audio facility to drive my good old 2+1 speakerset, even though I'm not all that chuffed with built-in components usually. If you'd say, advise getting a different soundcard or speakers, please take into account that I don't play DVD's or suchlike on my poota and have no interest in 5.1/dolby stuff. I have my hifi and tv for that ;)

X

xane

I think there are two versions of the A7N8X, make sure you get the one with 333Mhz FSB.

T

Testin da Cable

well, I wasn't sure about that mobo to begin with, but afaik the only variation is that one has firewire and serialATA and stuff as well as sound and lan and the "regular" one doesn't. hmm.

X

Xavier

Originally posted by xane
I think there are two versions of the A7N8X, make sure you get the one with 333Mhz FSB.

all nFOrce2 motherboards support the 333Mhz FSB, as TdC says the only difference is firewire and the like...

I'd go for 2x256mb dimms simply for the performance benefits of running dual-ddr on the motherboard (which incidentally is a top buy)

otherwise looking good, the sound on the nFOrce2 is top - no need for you to get a seperate soundcard, and imo, of the different manufacturer offerings the ASUS is numero uno.

J

Jonty

Go for the "Deluxe" version of that motherboard, the FiringSquad were extremely impressed with it in their review.

As for te Graphics, wait a while. The ATi Radeon 9900 and 9900Pro will be announced in March and released soon after. The 9900Pro is said to blow everything away, and decidely trounce the seemingly ill-fated GeForceFX 5800 Ultra. If you don't want to spend the extra, then still wait, as 9700 and 9700Pro prices will fall with the intoduction of these new cards (The NV31 might be able to rival a 9700 if you're willing to wait, again until March, should you be looking to save some money).

Apart from that, the rest of the system sounds sweet. You may be interested to know that AMD are going to start producing 2600+ and 2700+ CPUs using the new Barton design. Quite how many they can fabricate and at what cost, I don't know. Finally, the nForce2 APU produces sound quality which supercedes that of an Audigy, even an Audigy2 in some respects.

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

that review sells me well :)
as to waiting for a new card...well, for the cash save I'd like to do it but I'm not sure I can hold out that long ;)

T

Testin da Cable

hmmm...a mate tells me: "no, don't get the 2600+...get the 2500+barton core! more cache, less heat!"
I'm inclined to agree as the 2500 b will be a tiny 219euros (the 3000 b is priced at ~750 :// (subtract 40% for squids))

J

Jonty

Sounds fair enough, but make sure that motherboard has full suport for the Barton core, as not all motherboards are recommended to be coupled with a Barton due to some inconsistencies. You may also want to check out how much the 2600+ and 2700+ Barton chips cost. Sometimes, for the extra performance, it's worth paying a little extra. Finally (last thing, honest :p) check the availability of these new chips, since AMDs fabrication output is odd a times.

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

seems they'll be out around the end of feb. seems with a capital 3 though, as we all know AMD's quirks heh. haven't checked the 26x and 27x barton pricing yet. good tip, thanks.

T

Trem

Get a Shuttle Teedee, just got mine and I'm mightily impressed with it, very impressed with the AMD processor as well.

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
oi no sex in me hardware thread :eek:

injects sex into hardware thread

drip..................drip..........................spludge!!!!!!

T

Testin da Cable

*watch as Laz' pods get fried by a dual 500W PSU*

they aer the pop fasta than an XP sans cooling!!1

J

Jonty

Just more information on the graphics card status:

ATi have confirmed that there will be 15% price reduction on every product in the RADEON 8xxx and 9xxx lineup, though, some products’ prices may be lowered even more as their successors will have lower costs. BTW - It now appears three new cards will be announced . . .
  • R350 (9800) - 9700 Successor
  • RV350 (9600) - 9500 Successor
  • RV280 (9200) - 9000 and 9100 (8500) Successor

nVidia are expected to launch the following cards next month, to be released in Q2 2003 . . .
  • GeForce FX 5600 Ultra - 4600 (4800) Successor
  • GeForce FX 5600 non-Ultra (Rumour) - 4400 (4800SE) Successor
  • GeForce FX 5200 Ultra - 4200-4400 Successor
  • GeForce FX 5200 non-Ultra - GF4MX Successor (Perhaps to be announced after March)
All cards will feature nVidia's enhanced DX9 2.0+ specification, and possibly DX9.1 support. As the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra is aimed at only the top 2% of the market, all the above solutions should be more affordable (rumours exist around some of them using DDR-I memory on only a 10 layer PCB), and should hopefully only need a single slot.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Most of this comes from driver specs and semi-confirmed rumour (except the ATi price cuts which are official :)).

T

Testin da Cable

worth holding on for a few more weeks then :)

W

Wij

Think I'm gonna have to wait till they start giving them away in boxes of Frosties :(

D

domin8or

This sounds better:

Microsoft Windows v1.0 Pre-alpha
Pentium x286 25MHZ
8MB EDO-DRAM
ATi 2MB VGA skjákort
14.400 bbps modem
Internet subscription at BT Cellnet

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
worth holding on for a few more weeks then :)
I'd guess so, even if it's just for the price cuts, rather than purchasing the bleeding edge kit :D But if you're like me, you have to weight such gains against one's impatience to get your new kit ASAP :p

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

hehe indeed :) gotta get rid of my old kit first though :/

S

S-Gray

Is it me or is that Domin8or guy an utter tosspot?

hm...

T

Testin da Cable

he got dissed for admitting he had w4r3z iirc. just plonk him.

T

Testin da Cable

<o/

well, I've managed to sell my current poota, but my 22" iiyama vision master pro was included in the deal.
thus I am looking for a) a really really clear-pictured crt around 19" or so highest picture quality possible -or- b) a nice (nice) >17" tft. anyone have any recomendations?

latest poota config:

1x AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (2,13GHz, 333MHz FSB)
2x 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, CAS2, Platinum Heatspreader (Corsair)
1x Asus A7N8X (Sound, LAN)
1x ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
1x 3COM 100Mbit nic -have this already-
1x Adaptec2940UW SCSI -have this already-
1x WD 80Gb/8Mb -have this already-
1x Plextor 40x UltraPlex SCSI CDROM -have this already-
1x Plextor 8x UltraPlex SCSI burner -have this already-
1x Zalman CNPS6000CU
1x Lian-Li Borg Cube -have this already-
1x 450W Enermax EG465AX-VE FMA

W

Wij

Is that a low-noise PSU ?

PSU noise annoys now. Ordered a quiet one :)

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Wij
Is that a low-noise PSU ?

iirc that "FMA" means something like fan-speed adjust or words to that effect :)

Originally posted by Will
The iiyama VM Pro 454 is a very nice 19" CRT.

imo the 19" iiyamas own their bigger cousins. I feel that my previous monitor (a 19" vm-pro) had a greater overall quality than my current 22"vm-pro.

anyone know anything about those 'flatron' monitors? I hear they're pretty sharp and clear.

T

Testin da Cable

just got this stuff

1x iiyama visionmaster pro 19" monitor
2x Kingston 256MB PC3500 DDR SDRAM Cas 2
1x Zalman CNPS6000CU
1x Asus A7N8X (DELUXE)
1x AMD XP 2800+ 512/333 (BARTON)
1x Enermax EG465AX-VE(FCA)
1x Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9700 Pro

with it, and the rest of my stuff I already have I shall be pretending to resist the upgradebug for a while :)

J

Jonty

*Jonty tells TdC to stay away from the ATi site which now has details of the ATi Radeon 256Mb 9800 Pro* :p

hehe, seriously, though, that looks like the makings of a very fine system :D What kind of speakers and OS, just out of interest?

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom