No idea Plex | Mezzmo | Chromecasts and all that jazz

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I have my pc plugged in to the tv for downstairs entertainment and recently got a fire stick to use plex on the tv upstairs. Basically if cost me 35 quid to remove the inconvenience of ripping to an external drive and keep carting it up/down stairs everytime i want to watch something in bed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sab downloads and for TV it tells SB which renames and stores it. For movies it tells CP which renames and stores it. Both of which after sorting notify Plex / Kodi that new content is there so they both update fairly instantly for me.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well. What a fucking pile of shit.

I've a mouse plugged into my 'puter and my 'puter plugged into my telly.

"Got a 'puter plugged directly into your telly? Download Plex for Home Theatre and enjoy the shizzle!!"

/downloads Plex for home theater, for computers that are plugged into the telly, as Plex tells me that that's what I should do, because it's for computers that are plugged into the telly.

*installs*

/tries to use it. FINDS OUT THAT YOU CAN'T FUCKING USE A MOUSE. ON A COMPUTER THAT'S PLUGGED INTO THE TELLY :eek:

Instead I have to pick my fucking keyboard up and twat around with arrow keys and space bars to click on shit. For a piece of software apparently designed for computers with mice attached to them.

It's exactly what I thought it would be. Very pretty but ultimately pointlessly overcomplicated shite. I'm glad I haven't paid for it. Yes, there are other plex apps, but this one is designed and advertised for users that have computers plugged into their tellies. God forbid that they want to use the best control method available...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
10-foot user interface
In computing, a 10-foot user interface is a graphical user interface for large televisions, with ergonomical display elements (menus, buttons, text fonts, etc.) easily read from a distance of 10 feet (3 meters), and controlled using a regular television style remote control. The minimum core buttons are designed for simplicity and clarity.

Nobody uses a mouse to control a TV, do they? A mouse is an over complicated method for controlling Plex, you need about 6 or 8 buttons on a remote (4 of them being arrow buttons) and that's it.

Anyway, if you have a mouse plugged in then presumably you have a keyboard too (which is presumably also wireless as I seem to remember you saying so before). I know you're desperately looking for reasons to not

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nobody uses a mouse to control a TV, do they?

Anyway, if you have a mouse plugged in then presumably you have a keyboard too (which is presumably also wireless as I seem to remember you saying so before).

I do - a mouse fits into your hand better than a keyboard, and its a piece of software designed for people with computers plugged into their TV - so yes, why not have mouse support?

Point at the movie you want, click. Scroll with a wheel. Job jobbed. But oh no. Fucking pick up a big keyboard, piss around with keys. At least have the option ffs?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So when you're using your computer via your telly you just click on stuff and never have to type anything? If you have a mouse within reach then you have a keyboard within reach.

I suppose they could've included the option but it goes against the 10 foot UI philosophy, which aims to have everything controlled via a remote control. As you yourself said there's any number of apps you can install on your phone. I used Swift Remote until I sorted the system out properly.

Alternatively, buy a cheap MCE remote with USB dongle and use that or, do what I did and buy a Logitech Harmony 350.

Or keep moaning. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Suddenly I need to start buying stuff that I don't actually need... :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Plex can do it instantaneously but it doesn't by default. It defaults to manual updates I think but you can have it either scan the library periodically or automatically when it detects changes and it works just fine in my experience...

I37FqB5.jpg

Both of those top boxes are unticked when you do a fresh install I believe.
Same for me chum, we did go through this ages ago and it never worked for me. Still didn't auto update instantly.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Same for me chum, we did go through this ages ago and it never worked for me. Still didn't auto update instantly.
Mine did the same on my old server I had to tell it to update but that is why I used SB and CP to do it for me.

Trem

Sab downloads and for TV it tells SB which renames and stores it. For movies it tells CP which renames and stores it. Both of which after sorting notify Plex / Kodi that new content is there so they both update fairly instantly for me.
Is SB sick beard? What's CP mate?

Lakih

Resident Freddy
@Scouse you are the head of the cult of forward thinking BS or whatever you call it. It's time to evolve your PC setup, you sound like a 16 y/o in 1998. Get with the times :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Lakih - I've got plex running on my main PC as the server. It took 5 hours to sort through my media. I'm running it on my phone and my laptop - which is connected to my stereo.

SO, I want to pick a music track (or album) on my phone and play it on my connected laptop. It's kinda the only feature I'm bothered about. But I have to go to the laptop to do it?

Arse! Arse I tell you! I ain't getting with no times if it's pretty but pointless. Useable and ugly every time.

Trem

@Scouse you are the head of the cult of forward thinking BS or whatever you call it. It's time to evolve your PC setup, you sound like a 16 y/o in 1998. Get with the times :)
Is he fuck, he's the head of pig headed thinking and wallet stealing. Fuck Scouse and fuck his mirror (TV)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK. My bad. It does work. But it wants me to pay... We'll see. ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Serviio is a good option also, far better than Plex which *will* give you itchy AIDS.

@caLLous main hobby is morris dancing and he likes Plex, your choice.

Edit - find the program that updates your library the fastest and instantly, Kodi does and despite what cowbag will say Plex does not do it on the fly, not for me anyway. You know if you get a film then want to stream it straight away to your TV? Get a program that will show it as soon as it's downloaded.
Serviio was what I used before Plex, it's not as good and uses java so no, just no. Plex also does instant scans if you need it to but anyone using a client to download would just use that to trigger an update to save on disk drive use.

Trem

What's wrong with Java based things?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just for fun, Tremz0r :D

Trem

It was actually a genuine question, is it because Java can crash etc? I read reviews about the programs and always against them is that they are Java based (if they are) and I wondered why.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I dislike Java because it seems with updates some files move. We use UniFi access point but after Java update they stop working till you edit the Systems Variable file to add the new version of Java. No other programs do it so fuck Java :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It was actually a genuine question, is it because Java can crash etc? I read reviews about the programs and always against them is that they are Java based (if they are) and I wondered why.
Java is slower than native code and horribly flawed from a security standpoint. It's also a massive pain sometimes to get it to do things. Getting Serviio to run on FreeNAS (FreeBSD) was so complex I ended up blogging it to save anyone else from bashing their head against the same issues.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Those are pretty out-of-date arguments against Java to be honest. It still has its security concerns but it's a lot faster than it used to be compared to something like C++.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Faster than it used to be? Of course it is, thats hardly a challenge.

Chernobyl is less radioactive than it used to be but I still wouldnt choose to live there!

Trem

Those are pretty out-of-date arguments against Java to be honest. It still has its security concerns but it's a lot faster than it used to be compared to something like C++.
It's also shit at updating stuff quick as well, actually it is only Kodi that does that for me it seems but after what Sozeface said I may try Plex again (obviously I enjoy self harm) but Hnngh the fucking view gives my AIDS itchy AIDS, I just hate it. Piss off with the "oh you can change all that" as well Pierre :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom