Please help me fix a Network problem ASAP!!!

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I unplugged my other computer from my external modem, so I could connect this pc to the internet. Some hours later I went to change back and found that somehow my settings had changed on my other (family) pc. It no longer finds websites...saying detecting proxy settings and never loading them. Also I have 2 connections down there called local internet connection 3 and 5...one of them it says connected (giving the impression its all working) the other says limited or no connectivety, and fails to renew the IP address when I try to fix it.

Take this pc out of the equation, it isn't even meant to be connected (lost my internet priveliges for failing exams etc) ........

How can I get my other pc working on the internet again? Any advice would be extremely helpful.

...And soon, my dad gets home in 2 hours and he's already had the pc shipped off to a mate once to get it all repaired, no more than a week ago. :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mobius

I'm not sure what to suggest :( First off, if the modem is of the USB variety, make sure you plug it back in to the same port/hole in the original computer. Often when you plug the device into another USB port the device is effectively reinstalled, and thus may loose settings. It's a longshot, but you never know (make sure you're logged into Windows as an administrator if you can).

Secondly, check over all the settings, such as any proxy you should be using, if at all (Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab) any DNS settings etc. (Control Panel > Network Connections > TCP/IP option). If you're not sure of these settings, check with your Internet supplier's website.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but given your network setup, it could be a variety of things.

And, daft as this sounds, don't worry about it. First off, these things happen to the best of us. Secondly, you'll know what to do next time. Thirdly, most of these things can be resolved by a quick call to your Internet supplier's support line, which hopefully will be free :) I really doubt that you'd have to have your PC(s) repaired given what you've said.

Kind Regards

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I seem to have it working again, but when I reboot it won't work again...meaning I have to fiddle with everything once more. I'm not sure how I got it to work I basically messed around with loads of settings and it seems to be working. How can I make it stay like this? Cus it goes back to being broken if i reboot. (Its a NETGEAT FA311)

Also my other connection (the router - AMDTek AN983) says limited or no connectivety still, not that it matters but if it isn't in enabled like it was last time my dad used it he's going to know I have fiddled with everything, and he'll lose his rag.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Mobius

Well done for getting it working :) I'm not sure why it's losing the settings upon reboot, though (personally being on 56k doesn't help me relate to all this :)).

Are you logged in as an administrator or as a limited account? It could be the settings are being wiped if it's the latter, but that's a bit of a stab in the dark. Also, are we talking about Windows settings or some specific software?

You may want to checkout the support page for your Netgear FA311.

As for the other trouble, again, I'm afraid I'm not sure what the trouble could be without being more familiar with your setup :( Sorry. Both problems seem very odd.

Good luck with it all

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Thankfully this one seems okay now, so I'm not gonna touch it anymore. I am now without internet on my own pc though, and my free month of WoW is fading fast. :(

Decided to get my own internet connection ( http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=3264 )

Hopefully they will do it, even though I already have a connection in this house. If they recommend I get a router and share, I am going to hurt them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom