Playstation Vita

leggy

Probably Scottish
Couldn't find another thread (Saying that, I didn't try that hard).

Is anyone pre-ordering this? I never buy consoles on release day but I pre-ordered one (and Uncharted) before Christmas. I know little about it, so I have no real idea what motivated me to buy one.

I've since read a bit and the only thing that I can see that I won't like is the battery life (and the release line-up). Other than that it looks pretty nice.

So... please feel free to tell me that I'm fool... or not :)

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Definitely going to buy one, but I'm going to wait till April/May when there are more titles announced and hopefully it will be below £200..

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
whats the point in these when you can get tablets that do a whole lot more besides

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Overpriced, under supported. In short, Sony.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The problem is, I don't trust in high powered handhelds. They've never lived up their promise. Lynx, Game Gear, PSP all failures and high priced one's at that.

I don't think gamers are ready to buy into this, and that's going to affect developers bothering to produce for it.

(oh yeah, I googled it, so I know what it is now :) )

soze

I am a FH squatter
Does not look like a true handheld to me. Its got massive power but it looks like the battery life is a joke, if you need it plugged in its not a handheld. But the quality and playability of games on this is another generation to tablets imo.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
whats the point in these when you can get tablets that do a whole lot more besides
games?

To be honest, it's quite cheap to buy it at release (£200).. and will surely drop another quarter of that at least within 6-12months.. Seen it already at £150 pre-order at toys r us.. was a one day thing though I think..

As soon as Ratchet and Clank is brought out on it, I'll go buy it :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
you get games on tablets now and can do a lot more with them than a dedicated game platform ..

which seems to be a more popular thing to do

see how sucessful the psp was .. yes good gfx but actually holding it hurt my hands after a while and the controllers were a pita

Maybe for the youngerer peoples who just want games but i really dont see the need for these any more ..

I can play soul calibre on a galaxy s 2 now and pirates on my ipad2 i really dont need to play mario or whatever is still exclusive in the ps

and the batteries only last like 2-4 hours .. a 10 hour flight and they are pants

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Lol mario and playstation, wut........

The PSVita will have a web browser etc, so there is not really much more you can do with a tablet, apart from use all the garbage apps which a £70 phone can do (which you'll more than likely have with you anyway).

Plus it seems the PSVita will have graphics on par with what the PS3 is capable of, so the battery life of 3-5 hours is quite understandable.. does say 9 hours for music and about 6-7 hours for video though so that's not too bad at all :)

And all the games playable on the iPad2 etc are really dumbed down as well.

Nate

FH is my second home
What phone can you get that can do apps like that for £70? I like the sound of garbage.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
What phone can you get that can do apps like that for £70? I like the sound of garbage.
Well what kinda apps? I was talking just any app from the Android Market really.. since there is an app for pretty much everything :D

My San Fransisco phone cost £70 this time last year and can do all that crap fine.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Not convinced the Vita can really make a meaningful impact on the market, high powered handheld games machine that is attacked on all sides from other devices.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I dont know about the PS Vita but I might buy a PS3 just for the FFX remake.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I agree that vita isn't going to do well, but I don't think that means it's a bad handheld for those that buy it.

I think if the price drops to £150 then sales would pick up massively.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Too expensive and the battery is horrible, release games aren't that much to shout about, wait for the price drop in 6 months.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Basically it goes like this.

PSP looked lovely but no practical uses because who the fuck wanted to carry it around.

PSV looks lovely but same arguement.

Vita will therefore crash and burn just like the previous one except possibly harder because Sony will be so fucking anti-homebrew this time around.

The only logical argument I've ever been able to see for having either a PSP or PSV is "don't want kids using the TV for a console so shut them up with this" but frankly Nintendo has that area locked down with the DS.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you had a hour long train journey everyday i could see a point. That's when my PSP got all its use. As soon as I was driving to work though it only came out on long journeys where I was a passenger.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Basically it goes like this.

PSP looked lovely but no practical uses because who the fuck wanted to carry it around.

PSV looks lovely but same arguement.

Vita will therefore crash and burn just like the previous one except possibly harder because Sony will be so fucking anti-homebrew this time around.

The only logical argument I've ever been able to see for having either a PSP or PSV is "don't want kids using the TV for a console so shut them up with this" but frankly Nintendo has that area locked down with the DS.
The DS is for way less serious kiddie games though imo, the PSP has the more serious and longer games covered. But yeah I see all points and I'll try get homebrew on mine more than likely within 6months of getting it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It is but that's the market, past that the youth want call of duty on a proper console.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If you consider the Vita as being in the middle then from below the DS encroaches its market since while being focused on the younger gamers it still covers older gamers quite well, from above it suffers encroachment from mobiles/tablets and then from the left home consoles and from the right PCs so in the end the market it is trying to find a foothold in already is pretty much covered. I had a PSP and other than being able to boast about having one I found very little use for it at the time in my every day life.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Exactly, I still have my PSP. It was the best platform I ever played Super Mario 3 on.

Dunno what else to say really.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I get to play with a Vita this coming Friday at work. Sony are in the Office allowing us to play it...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I can't see any reason to buy this. I have a 3DS because I waited for a below £100 bargain but I still haven't used it much. Talk to me when this comes down to the same price.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Apparently the insides cost around $160, so Sony are actually making money on every unit - certainly room for the price to drop, if they dropped it to breakeven/we they could be selling it for around £150 - which would be a very attractive price point.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Apparently the insides cost around $160, so Sony are actually making money on every unit - certainly room for the price to drop, if they dropped it to breakeven/we they could be selling it for around £150 - which would be a very attractive price point.
Thing is, you gotta buy a memory card as well which is about £30-50 depending on the size.. so on release it will cost at least £240-260 :c

Yaka

Part of the furniture
preety much the same for me, tho id like to play the uncharted game for it but im not gonna buy it.

as for the psp i enjoyed it the gta games for it were damn good, as was the god of war games, mgs etc. emulaters also got good use out of the system but piracy quickly killed any new games for it. im suprised they still managed to sell em out side asia after 2 years tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom