Player Housing Prices

S

svartmetall

Who has time to farm that much?
It would set having player houses out of reach of a lot of people, who don't want to have to spend half or more of their week's playing time just cash-farming.
IMO for a basic house, anything in the platinum area is extortionate; 2/300G should be an absolute ceiling, really. No point introducing a feature that lots of people want and then pricing out of most people's practical/enjoyable reach.

N

Ninth Dimension

Personally I feel that that inital cost of the housing should be fairly high, maybe 1plat for the basic up to say 10-15 plat for the mansion, but the rent should be mild and easy to afford to prevent having to farm all the time to afford it.

But from what I understand the rest is more to cover the services you employ in your house, such as personal crafting tools, town porter, etc..

S

SFXman

Originally posted by greenfingers
Small house: 250G/month
Medium house: 500G/month
Biggest house: 1000G(1P)/month

that's just my guess if there is some sort of rental system...
This would be incredibly low :rolleyes:

A

Alkoran

Anyone know which (and how many) places you will be able to get ports to from a house?

O

old.The McScrooges

Originally posted by svartmetall
Imagine the Luri's face when two fecking huge Trolls turn up to "discuss" his back rent...

Keen in jail after shooting Troll Robbers. Shock! Horror!

The Stun supports the Keen Freedom movement.

S

svartmetall

OK, I could go for high initial cost as long as rent was manageably low.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by old.The McScrooges
Keen in jail after shooting Troll Robbers. Shock! Horror!

The Stun supports the Keen Freedom movement.

Typos corrected:

"Luri in hospital after attempting to shoot Trolls"

:p

:)

H

Hargh

Originally posted by Alkoran
Anyone know which (and how many) places you will be able to get ports to from a house?
the Midgard Zone will be as you come out of the Mularn gate of Jordheim turn right.

Personally I'd like to see the lowliest dwellings pretty cheap with massive ramping of cost for services and even more massive ramping of cost for mansions. I don't want to see a town full of mansions. I want them only avaliable to the biggest groups/guilds/whatever to represent their power on the server. If this wanes then ownership of the largest properties should be impractical.
This means a high rental for large properties on top of high rental for services.

O

old.The McScrooges

Originally posted by svartmetall
Typos corrected:

"Luri in hospital after attempting to shoot Trolls"

:p

:)

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

C

chretien

Who has time to farm that much?
It would set having player houses out of reach of a lot of people, who don't want to have to spend half or more of their week's playing time just cash-farming.
IMO for a basic house, anything in the platinum area is extortionate; 2/300G should be an absolute ceiling, really. No point introducing a feature that lots of people want and then pricing out of most people's practical/enjoyable reach.

The point is you don't need a house. We've been playing for 18-odd months now without player housing quite happily. For the vast majority of players it'll be a pointless luxury and like most pointless luxuries you'll have to determine how much you really want it and how much extra work you're prepared to do to get one.
People for whom it will actually be useful - guilds, high-level crafters etc can easily afford high rents either singly or making 'crafting collectives' with other players.

Players already whinge that they can't afford crafted equipment, if everyone and his dog is spending their money on something they don't need, they're going to whinge harder about having no money when they want 99% SCed gear.

S

svartmetall

Point, but this is a game...'need' and 'want' occupy very different universes.

Hell, I'd love to be able to slump into a Troll-sized Lay-Z-Boy in Svartmetall Towers and down a large container of beer after a hard day's slayage...

C

chretien

Yes it's a game. It's a game where you have to make choices and live with compromises. If you choose to have a house then you are also choosing to accept the upkeep. If you can't stomach the upkeep then choose not to have a house. Why should they be cheap? Even with two zones the couple of thousand accounts per server will fill the housing space fairly quickly. If housing is priced so that you have to think hard about renting one, the problem will largely solve itself.

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by chretien
Yes it's a game. It's a game where you have to make choices and live with compromises. If you choose to have a house then you are also choosing to accept the upkeep. If you can't stomach the upkeep then choose not to have a house. Why should they be cheap? Even with two zones the couple of thousand accounts per server will fill the housing space fairly quickly. If housing is priced so that you have to think hard about renting one, the problem will largely solve itself.

I'll take a guess that you're a crafter or have a nice money-pharming class character ;)

I actually think it will be considerably cheaper than many of the posts on this board - particularly for a cottage. The larger houses will likely be considerably more expensive. This would seem a fair balance . It would be wrong to exclude "young" players or those who can't play 24/7 from owning any form of house, but should also reward those who make the effort to actually earn gold with the chance for more lavish property. Personally I would say 50-100g a week rent for the most basic cottage would be reasonable, while the most lavish buildings should cost perhaps 5P a week or more.

D

dwindimir

Originally posted by Alkoran

Realm capital and SI capital

N

Ninth Dimension

it's a shame there won't be a BG transporter, sit it next to your own personal binder and healer. nice!!!

C

Cala-more

the mansion will be much more than 10p imo, as even I would be able to afford to buy the mansion then.

S

SFXman

I still think that all agree to the fact that housing will bring that little something to the game... I for one am quite excited about the UO-nostalgic decorating :D

D

dwindimir

I wonder how are they going to open the new areas? Land rush style? Hmmmm, maybe I should hire a minstrel, so i can SOS the best place :D

K

kallora

I am actually IN the housing beta on Pendragon (I play on US servers even though I live in London... I bought Daoc before the EU servers came online...)

We STILL have no clue as to pricing... the costs are artificailly low on Pend at the moment: house costs 1s, cottage 5s, villa 25s, mansion 1g. Now this might be indicative of the price progression... perhaps.. .we still don't know.

However let me assure you it is WELL worth the wait. BTW the Albion Mansion that was in the Screenshots from E3 was MINE :D You can tell from the "Fletcher for hire" signs ot the front entrance...

K

kallora

I have the Mansion (level 4 house) with alchemy table, forge and lathe all in it, plus 4 (YES FOUR) vaults (each vault has 5 pages btw omg omg I love it) and several merchants/teporters. Current rent is 15g per week. Except they have speeded up the clock and 1 week = 12 hours.

The lockbox can contain up to 4 payments (which currently means logging on every day to refil it to make sure my house don't disappear AGAIN!)

S

SFXman

kallora, out of interest what is the land they are at like? Is it huge?

K

kallora

You get 2 new zones for each realm (you have to install a seperate installer for hte housing expansion which was inaitiily 45MB, god knows how much it is now)

These are normal sized zones with villages of 10 plots scattered about. There are about 20 villages per zone and they have a variety of terrain but all villages are on flat land, some near lakes, others in valleys etc. There are some very scenic locations.

There are no mobs and several horse routes, and some extra "hastner"-type NPCs to help you get around.

When I get my video splitter box working again I WILL be making another movie of it if Mythic give me permission in the beta.

P

Pandemic

dunno what all this house chat is i'm buying a fuckin castle with all the short peeps from NP as my serfs (kallistor is head serf in reconigation of rr11 though)

Pandemic

S

SFXman

*Imagines some extremely rich money-harvesting individual living in a mansion by himself next to a lake...*
*/drool*

D

dwindimir

Originally posted by SFXman
*Imagines some extremely rich money-harvesting individual living in a mansion by himself next to a lake...*
*/drool*

You mean all the 5min/day when hes not farming gold, so his house won't go *poof* overnight? :D

M

Molten Lava

Originally posted by kallora
I have the Mansion (level 4 house) with alchemy table, forge and lathe all in it, plus 4 (YES FOUR) vaults (each vault has 5 pages btw omg omg I love it) and several merchants/teporters. Current rent is 15g per week. Except they have speeded up the clock and 1 week = 12 hours.

The lockbox can contain up to 4 payments (which currently means logging on every day to refil it to make sure my house don't disappear AGAIN!)

So the biggest house = 30g RL-day = 210g RL-week....and according to the price progression (1s - 5s - 25s - 1g) my guess would be erm 2g/RL-week for the small one?? (ohh thats cheap)

S

SFXman

Yes, it's called beta :)
Multiply those prices by a good... 1000.

M

monkeynutter

how much for a tent. If house prices are 1-5plat think it will last as long as the pvp server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom