Play.com taking orders now

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
I think the £20 mark up being referred to isnt the difference between the standard and collector's edition, it is the difference between GAME's price £40 and PLAY's price £60.

While I understand that GOA/EA/Mythic whatever dont set retailers price for them, PLAY and GAME are usually within a few pence of each other pricewise so it does seem that we are being asked to pay £20 for the privalige of beta testing the game. Shame if all that £20 is going into GOA's partner's pockets and not Mythics.

Thats what i was trying to say :D thanks Eloran :worthy:

Kuldiin

Fledgling Freddie
So you pay £20 difference to Play.com to access a beta in November(ish) which is currently underway anyway?

Ill run and cancel WoW/EQ2 right now!

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
So you pay £20 difference to Play.com to access a beta in November(ish) which is currently underway anyway?

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there??? :)

Yeah it does seem overpriced at the moment, maybe they will drop it who knows? if they added the normal edition and the pre-order package serperatly (like the German retailers) at least you'd have more options instead of £60 or nothing at the moment.

I think (unfortunately) we need to give the retailers a few days to get all the proper info from EA and update thier sites and staff.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
What would be handy is the RRP of the normal and collectors edition respectively.

There is definately some confusion over the prices.

Also isn't buying the pre order key only akin to a deposit on the game. Would you not then be expected to purchase the rest of the game or is it mearly the pre order flier you are buying?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH

will be before november think about it it said open beta why would u need to get a key early for open beta? u could just wait and get one when it goes open

to me this is just further proof the flood gates arent going to get thrown open its gonna be invites right up until release or maybe 2 weeks before release

Popov

Fledgling Freddie
My take on it is that normally both play.com and game.co.uk are heavy discounting etailers, normally a play.com price would say something like
"£19.99 RRP £29.99 you save £10.00 (33%)" notice there is none of this on the WAR CE page i.e. you are paying full retail so basically play.com are taking advantage of their official partner status to avoid giving you a discount. Game on the other hand are either giving you a 33% discount as usual or are unaware of the exact price as it was only just announced and are using an estimate which may change in the future. (if they are allowed to)

Info I gleaned from the newsletter: Preorder from either HMV or play.com and you will get the in game item
RITTENBACH'S PORTABLE CAMP
Rest your weary soul and heal your wounds between battles.

If you preorder from play.com (either version) you will get the in game item
GUARDIAN'S IOLITE BAND (E-merchant exclusive)
Enhance your stats and cast “Touch of Spirit,” increasing your chance of doing additional spiritual damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

If you preorder from HMV (either version) you will get the in game item
SENTINEL'S AMBER BAND (Retailer exclusive)
Enhance your stats and cast “Touch of Earth,” increasing your chance of doing additional corporeal damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
My take on it is that normally both play.com and game.co.uk are heavy discounting etailers, normally a play.com price would say something like
"£19.99 RRP £29.99 you save £10.00 (33%)" notice there is none of this on the WAR CE page i.e. you are paying full retail so basically play.com are taking advantage of their official partner status to avoid giving you a discount. Game on the other hand are either giving you a 33% discount as usual or are unaware of the exact price as it was only just announced and are using an estimate which may change in the future. (if they are allowed to)

Info I gleaned from the newsletter: Preorder from either HMV or play.com and you will get the in game item
RITTENBACH'S PORTABLE CAMP
Rest your weary soul and heal your wounds between battles.

If you preorder from play.com (either version) you will get the in game item
GUARDIAN'S IOLITE BAND (E-merchant exclusive)
Enhance your stats and cast “Touch of Spirit,” increasing your chance of doing additional spiritual damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

If you preorder from HMV (either version) you will get the in game item
SENTINEL'S AMBER BAND (Retailer exclusive)
Enhance your stats and cast “Touch of Earth,” increasing your chance of doing additional corporeal damage with each hit. (Usable in PvE combat only.)

Theres a disclaimer when you order it from Game:

Note: The price quoted for a preorder title is the anticipated retail selling price at the time of release. Should the price be reduced you will be charged the lower price at the time of your order being dispatched. Should the price increase - you will not pay any more! Money is taken just prior to release.

So people have paid £20 more to access beta and a couple of other things. Personal prefrence really but still doesn't seem quite right.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
im curious tbh theres 55k CE editions now obviously it goes without saying not everyone is going to get one from play or hmv etc or indeed the other european retailers and with GAME offering the game for a fairbit cheaper its safe to say that only a portion of the CE will contain the extra goodies in the pre order "special" CE

so thinkin about GAME selling the CE how can this be if lets just say for arguments sake the selected retailers manage to to flog all 55k or is it gonna be a case of whatevers not sold by the selected retaliers goes to outside stores like GAME Etc

just curious tbh because this means probably a fair amount will not actually get the added content with a CE edition

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
im curious tbh theres 55k CE editions now obviously it goes without saying not everyone is going to get one from play or hmv etc or indeed the other european retailers and with GAME offering the game for a fairbit cheaper its safe to say that only a portion of the CE will contain the extra goodies in the pre order "special" CE

so thinkin about GAME selling the CE how can this be if lets just say for arguments sake the selected retailers manage to to flog all 55k or is it gonna be a case of whatevers not sold by the selected retaliers goes to outside stores like GAME Etc

just curious tbh because this means probably a fair amount will not actually get the added content with a CE edition

I think the retailers get a certain amount of CE's amd regular's, so once Play.com and HMV sell their allocated amount thats it for the Open Beta keys and the other 2 things in the UK, and people will then get their CE's from the likes of Game etc.

Thats how I understand it but maybe wrong.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ye that sounds about right ya worded it better than me 55k beta keys seems pretty nuts

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
well just to note whos to say the 55k sell out? Game had excluive rights to TR and LOTRO CED in the UK and theres still one of each sitting at my local shop.. shame TR bombed and I already have LORTO running and i don't really need the CED stuff

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
to be fair i think war is alot bigger than those games i mean TR never had much good press and Lotro should have been huge but i guess alot of ppl were put off by the fanboys they knew would be playing it and the trillions of variations of legolas ;) i mean it is a good game but then again wow was still fairly new and we all know how huge that is

WAR is much more eagerly awaited and theres gonna be a good 500k subscribers i reckon would be surprised if they werent all snapped up within a couple of months i mean anar has to be right each store will already have probably been allocated a certain amount of copies

Eloran

Fledgling Freddie
The Amazon.de price is 80 euro (£62.70) for the CE + 10 euro (£7.80) for the preorder bonus (total £70.50). So maybe the Play price of £60 total is a bargain!

I was going to order the seperate pre-order bonus pack from them but when I got to the checkout they had added on 6 Euro P&P + 2.5 Euro VAT! for a total £13.26. No way I am paying 6 Euro P&P for them to send me a couple of e-mail keys. $5 + 17.5% VAT = £2.92 - Talk about ripoff Eurozone.

Anyone found one of the Partners offering the bonus pack for the 8 Euro/£5 that GOA are stating it should be sold for? with no P&P charges?

I tried ordering the US version of the CE from a couple of stores but apparently they cant ship outside the US due to licensing restrictions (makes sense, no one would pay Amazon.de $140 if they could get from Amazon.com for $80).

I honestly havent seen a game release like this before where they are trying to ripoff EU customers so badly (is this why EA have sucha bad rep?) I think I might just hold off on the whole thing and see if the monthly sub of $20 or whatever is converted to £20 + VAT.

Now I must go lie down while my bloodpressure returns to normal :D

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
Actally LOTRO sold mot of it's CED and it's been a big hit, the only issue it was facted with was those wanting 'epix' from 'endgame' powerleveled and realised the game was a bit lite on the endgame stuff as it was never designed that way... but anyway...

i've never seen CEDs completly sell out that often and I think usless you REALLY want the game or just want the model (like WHF greenskin players would, nice way to tempt them into play a MMO if they don't normally) and actally have the £60 to throw away, I think a lot of players will opt for the £20-£30 box, as £60 is a very high price, i think TR's was £60 as well and i think LOTRO's was £70, it's not the hype of the game, it's the willingness to part with the money

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
My personal opinion is that EA have simply not communicated this correctly to all the retailers, give it a week or so and I reckon all the retailers will be up to speed like the German retailers and will list not only the CE edition, but the normal version along with the pre-order pack seperatly to at least give people some other options.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
curious how this works tho i mean if its a pre order pack whats to stop you cancelling buying the full game? unless if you pay say £20 its taken off the overall price of what u have to pay on CE? or normal etc?

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
curious how this works tho i mean if its a pre order pack whats to stop you cancelling buying the full game? unless if you pay say £20 its taken off the overall price of what u have to pay on CE? or normal etc?

I think to get around that they have the pre-order boxes and the CED boxes at the same time and dispatch them together so as the access is lets say 3-4 days prior to launch (the norm) you'll have the CED before the launch date, it's not uncommon to have games before release day with online ordering.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie

Because you will recieve a key for early entry and another key with your version of the game, your early entry key will expire a couple of days after release and you will need to input your 'full' key to continue playing.

ileks

Part of the furniture
What's stopping you pre ordering, getting emailed the beta key and then cancelling?

I guess the items will be tied to a CE cd-key, but i dont see how they can stop people just pre ordering to get into open beta?

Anyway, going to order from play.com later i think :) Will cancel my GAME pre order.

threeps

Fledgling Freddie
If people think 60 quid is ok for early access and open beta then fair nuff. Personally I will get the normal version, advertised at 27 quid on GAME. Yeah early access and open beta would be nice but a month or after release will it matter?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
securing guild names your own name yup it does matter but as a few ppl have said its down to preference if u can afford it, its not such a big deal if u cant well i really wouldnt lose any sleep over it id just get the normal version on pre order

speaking for myself itll be nice to have a guild up and running and have some experience of the lower lvls to help our members once they join us in the game unfortunately not all our members will get into guild beta so some are gonna be completely in the dark. i mean i want my guild to enjoy 1-40 etc but our goal is for pvp the quicker we get there the better

Deadweight89

Fledgling Freddie
60 quid?

crikey.

i'd expect a full Ultramarine squad to come with it at that price :(

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
I assume the US are sending out emails with the early beta keys in then? Why are people assuming it will be the same for EU?

Look at the images on the websites for the pre-order pack:

Play.com (UK) : Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning - Collector's Edition : PC Games - Free Delivery

(click on the 'ENLARGE IMAGE' text)

unless I'm mistaken that is a DVD-Box. It says 'Game not included' on the top right. Surely they will be sending this out. I see alot of people getting their knickers in a twist about how much it is costing from Amazon.de (just the pre-order pack i mean) and wondering why they are charging posting for an e-mail. Well that's why - they will be shipping out this DVD Box.

Honestly people get so fired up about stuff. No-one ever said EU open beta keys would be emailed did they? Why don't people take the time to look at what is right in front of them rather than complaining about retailers charging for something (supposed EU emails) that no-one has ever said we would get. Somebody here posted that play.com said somewhere (probably on updated 'confirmation of order' emails) that the pre-order pack would ship around May/June. This makes sense so we have the open beta keys in time for it to start. Presumably the rest of the kit - the actual CE boxset - will arrive in due time for the early main server opening. That in fact is my only concern - that play.com will think it has discharged it pre-order duties by getting the pre-order pack out by June but not getting the main CE boxes out in time for the promised early server start but rather when they are opened to everyone else.

I have faith in play.com tbh but I'll be ringing to check a week before the early server access is supposed to start anyway just in case...:ninja:

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
# Pre-Order bonuses (available from May - or when the BETA begins):
# Open BETA access
# Live game head start
# Bonus in-game content - "Rittenbach's portable camp" and "Guardian's iolite band"

thats on the play website now as well im sure it wasnt there earlier today unless im goin blind

Lang

Fledgling Freddie
I ordered the preorder package from amazon.de (im scandi), got email today that I think says they are gonna send it the 7th april. (I dont speak german :( )

If someone wanna translate;

unser Logistikzentrum hat den unten stehenden Artikel verschickt!

Amazon.de Artikel (Verkäufer: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):
1 Warhammer Online: Age of R... EUR 8,39 1 EUR 8,39
Versendet mit Deutsche Post (Lieferung voraussichtlich: 07-April-2008).
Der Versand erfolgt ueber: Deutsche Post.Sollte eine Zustellung nicht erfolgreich sein: Pakete und Sendungen werden in der Regel eine Woche bei Ihrem oertlichen Postamt fuer Sie aufbewahrt.Manchmal nimmt auch ein Nachbar die Bestellung entgegen. Ihre Bestellung ist damit vollstaendig ausgefuehrt.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Quick search in Google for a translator lead to me find that Lieferung voraussichtlich translates into Delivery presumably

So yeah, they are claiming something will be shipped to you then!

Lang

Fledgling Freddie
Quick search in Google for a translator lead to me find that Lieferung voraussichtlich translates into Delivery presumably

So yeah, they are claiming something will be shipped to you then!

Just those who dont like the play.com price might wanna check this out. Since you can order just the preorder package there. Then get warhammer from local store or wherever its cheapest/easiest at release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom