Play a overpowered class or not?

K

Kallio

Originally posted by hotrat
Albs could indeed use disease on another class, sorc matter line would be best but cabalists would get very upset about that. But then alb just has too many classes, you could easily combine caba and sorc (ae dot and disease in matter line, spec lifetap in body, pet in mind line, give the spirit/matter/body debuffs to fire or ice wiz).

Yeah, Sorc and cabby need addressing, the class should be mixed up in ym opinion, and yes I mean that sorc and cabby would become the same class. Cause at the moment cabby lacks utility, Sorcs need also something more than just AE mezz.

Ideas arent that bad... but get Mythic to listen em :rolleyes:

A

Amadon

Originally posted by Wiazabi
But i hate to loose against hibs cause of pets interrupting whole support just cause its a caster grp , you get em mezzed and they gp is fair enough but that pets are sooo fast on getting to support interrupting each and everyone without ppl commanding pets to do so is just to easy
um
whole support won't be interrupted if pets aren't directed separately to each support member - pets will only attack whoever CC'd if they're not on passive

afaik most people run with pets on passive, so when a pet attacks you, it's been commanded to

i doubt that makes you feel any better tho :p

O

old.Nol

I would not chose an overpowered class.

a. You are guaranteeing yourself dissappointment when the nerf bat hits.

b. no challenges

c. you end up being called a tit regardless :D Look at Sorusi for example.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by old.Nol
I would not chose an overpowered class.

a. You are guaranteeing yourself dissappointment when the nerf bat hits.

b. no challenges

c. you end up being called a tit regardless :D Look at Sorusi for example.

SO WAHY DID YOU ROLE A BRAD!?!?!?!?!!?!!!!

L

liloe

so a bard is fotm now? maybe fotm isn't really the term then, rather fsr (flavour since release), cause a grp without bard has no end regen, no mezz, no demezz.......

back to topic, I roll classes that are either fun to play or have a roleplay background I like - like elven blademasters, looks so cool, but don't have time to lvl =)

K

klonk

After I bought the game, I sat down in a pub with a mate and discussed what class/char I should start with. I think it's easier to learn a game by playing a tank for starters, so it was down to warrior or berserker. The warrior sounded less spectacular than the zerk, but I thought that made them steadier as well, so I started one. Much like a guy choosing to be a teacher IRL, he knows his salary wont decrease, at least :p

So: when you play an anonymous class, a class which doesn't stick out - the chances of being nerfed are smaller. The challenge then is to find a char which you think is fun to play, and which is not a total gimp. This is how I think, at least. And I don't regret making a warrior, that's for sure.

As for the question of ppl playing "uber" chars, I am at a loss here. What is it people don't understand? Of course the most dedicated players (aka the ones caring most for rps - less for roleplaying) will want to play the best chars. And then the occasional thane or RM you see in rvr will either be casual players, roleplayers or ppl who started that char when it wasn't the gimp it might have become today.

And if the point of this thread is to point out that we're all mostly hypocrits, I think it's correct. Most of us will want to play a char that is not totally useless in grp rvr/solo rvr/pve... I just started playing some on hib/prydwen, and ofc I rolled a chanter. When you hear something rocks, of course you want to check it out for yourself. Most of the "damn, nerf chanters, ffs!!" that you hear on irc or BW is caused by ppl's anger after loosing rather than sincere, well considered opinions. IMO.

Enough ranting, time to go home :p

A

ab_fluid

Comparing a eld directly to a chanter I would rate a chanter a lot better even before BaoD, add that super gay RA and chanter defo takes it however chanter + eld is far greater than 2 chanters or 2 elds.Actually they can't if hibs each just have 1 class in their group with 1 RA ready to use.... 10(-600) damage....

and now you know how our melee grps feel fighting 2xBoF + SoS.

H

hotrat

Originally posted by ab_fluid
and now you know how our melee grps feel fighting 2xBoF + SoS.
Yer I can see your point, powerful RA's on 30 min timers are quite annoying but comparing one RA (BaoD) to 3 RA's is hardly the same. I think a hib tank group still has a good chance of winning if albs only use 1 SoS or 1 BoF. If albs use all 3 vs just one group they should win but are prolly gonna have a hard time for the next 30 mins. If hibs use baod vs a caster group chances are they won't meet another caster group for the next 30 min anyway, and if other realms did run more caster groups there is nothing to stop hibs using 2 or even 3 chanters.

Anyway hopefully there will be an RA review soon as atm some RA's totally suck and others are far too powerful.

L

liloe

I can agree, the "almost immune" RA's suck for both sides, mages and fighters and therefor need some fixing. ofc RA's are there to turn the tide of a fight, but sometimes the tide is turned a bit too much. Especially timer based RA's can be a bitch cause most often they're down when u need them =)
so let's hope for some changes, but as we all know Mythic, the changes won't be good, either so let's live with it.

C

cutri

Originally posted by Kallio
The fact just is that almost all hib mages have pbae ;)

I nearly choked on my ale when I read this :)

Hib have 4 mage classes, all with 3 lines to spec in.

Eldritch and Enchanter are the only ones who can spec mana to have PBaoE, so out of a possible 12 class/specline combinations you have 2 who can use PBaoE.

Edit : Animists get a pbaoe effect but need to have turrets up and it hits like a green con druid pet ( or so I've been told) :p

K

Kallio

Originally posted by cutri

Eldritch and Enchanter are the only ones who can spec mana to have PBaoE, so out of a possible 12 class/specline combinations you have 2 who can use PBaoE.

Edit : Animists get a pbaoe effect but need to have turrets up and it hits like a green con druid pet ( or so I've been told) :p

how many Light chanters there is? how many Enchantment enchanters you meet?

How many animists or mentalists you meet?

How many light elds...?

Void elds you meet sometimes though :p

you get my point ;)

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by liloe
I can agree, the "almost immune" RA's suck for both sides,

They are, in fact, 50%/35% immune RAs.

And the problem is not the 30sec in 30 min that these run for.

The problem is the 40% immunity everyone already has all the time.

C

cutri

Originally posted by Kallio
how many Light chanters there is? how many Enchantment enchanters you meet?

How many animists or mentalists you meet?

How many light elds...?

Void elds you meet sometimes though :p

you get my point ;)

Quite a few tbh, but that's probably because i prefer to play my elf Champ or Void Eldritch, which leaves me in random pickup groups (if anyone at DL/Odins will actually invite me).

However, that said, I do agree that the majority of hib mages who actively play regular RvR seem to be mana specced.

C

cutri

As for the MoC + BoaD question, personally I dunno, not having been on the receiving end, however in order to have these RA's one needs:

Aug Acuity 3 = 10 pts

MoC = 14 pts

BoaD = 14 points

Total = 38 points

38 RA points, which, unless I am mistaken is RR4 L9 add to this MCL2, Serenity2 and Raging Power and to be effective using the above you need to be RR7+ ( After all, a mage with no power is about as dangerous as a grey con pet)

If I am incorrect in any of the above calculations I am sure someone will correct me :)

T

tiareth

I have played a void eld first and then respecced him to mana. If i had the chance to reroll?

I would certainly not pick something gimpy like void eld again. After all i am playing this game for fun and being outdamaged and having less utility than almost any other mage didn't really make it fun. The fun in this game is about grouping i think and so i like to play a class that can find groups somewhat easy.

I wouldn't roll something as fotm though. FOTM=Class with the best DPS in the game usually. Classes like that are bound to get nerfed and personally i couldn't stand rerolling another 50 and go through the grind for a third/fourth time etc.

If i could reroll a class i would choose Druid/Healer/Shaman (not cleric because albion is overpopulated and boring as a realm :)). Propably a healer/shaman, especially the shaman since it reminds me more of my mana eld which i enjoy playing. I would pick a class that despite any nerfs or whatever they will always be needed and i wouldn't spend half my playing time standing at the pk.

K

kirennia

Originally posted by cutri

Thats like saying BoF isnt an issue because clerics have access to 30 different RAs and might spec Mastery of swimming 5 before they get BoF.....

The fact is there are next to no animists nor mentalists and a lot of chanters/elds have access to pbaoe.

Although I do agree, not all are pbaoe only, but most do have it :)

A

ab_fluid

Yer I can see your point, powerful RA's on 30 min timers are quite annoying but comparing one RA (BaoD) to 3 RA's is hardly the same. I think a hib tank group still has a good chance of winning if albs only use 1 SoS or 1 BoF. If albs use all 3 vs just one group they should win but are prolly gonna have a hard time for the next 30 mins. If hibs use baod vs a caster group chances are they won't meet another caster group for the next 30 min anyway, and if other realms did run more caster groups there is nothing to stop hibs using 2 or even 3 chanters.

Anyway hopefully there will be an RA review soon as atm some RA's totally suck and others are far too powerful.

Tbh, if an alb grp loses vs a hib melee grp using any 1 of sos of bof then they played absoloutly shit. It just shouldn't happen, same if a hib grp uses baod vs another mage grp.

H

hotrat

Originally posted by ab_fluid
Tbh, if an alb grp loses vs a hib melee grp using any 1 of sos of bof then they played absoloutly shit. It just shouldn't happen, same if a hib grp uses baod vs another mage grp.
True, true however the times I have lost to a hib melee group and we have used BoF are the times when I get hit by mezz or root (be it insta whatever) and the hib BM's catch me and kill me fast with TW.
The times we win are those when I (as a sorc) stay well out of melee range of the BM's forcing them to hit the clerics who benefit far more from BoF.

The problem like someone already mentioned is that you have 50% magic resists even before BaoD, leading to immunity once BaoD is fired. A cleric of course has 27% abs before BoF and 77% after, but a sorc has only 10% and I assume (assuming BoF and caster abs stack) 60% after.

O

old.Nol

Originally posted by Arnor
SO WAHY DID YOU ROLE A BRAD!?!?!?!?!!?!!!!

was a mistake tbh :( I thought it said mentalism mentalist...

Users who are viewing this thread