plats on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
IF you want to buy/sell gold/items/etc for 'real' money go play EQ2.

They're really getting desperate now

sick....

well they did a pretty good job in WoW, where the most uber items are 'Bind on pickup' and thus cant be ebayed (unless you ebay the whole char but collecting best stuff on one char then selling it probably takes too much time to make any profit out of it)
Gold also has a limited use in WoW and there isnt a very big ebay demand for it, unlike Lineage 2 where EVERYTHING can be bought from npcs (and has complete farming companies that camp spots 24/7)

Also funny how in my wow server some very suspicious 'farmers' have mystriously dissappeared :rolleyes:

edit: oh and ebaying sucks, take lineage 2 for example where money = everything, it has attracted chinese ebay companies which camp all spots and pk everyone who tries to farm there too and will never give up at it, and why farm at those impossible places when you can buy those (in daoc value) 20p for just €10? it sucked, discourage ebaying

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Basically anything that we judge detrimental to the game or the community, regardless of whether it has been specifically stated as being against the rules, is against the rules.

LOl Requiel point me out a service that doesn't have that written into there COC or rules. I agree that I wouldn't want to be playing a game where cold hard cash was the only way you could advance, gain artifacts, or craft ability.
Mind you having said that we have greedy people in game, farming artifacts for the sheer love of overpricing them to make in game money....
Which also cuts down on normal players accessability to artifacts. The problem occurs when you can't get an artifact without buying it, thus breaking the COC, jepordising your game, and being out of pocket in the process.
*Now that would be sucky*

Personally at £8.00 a month you shouldn't have to subsidise out of your own pocket to make the game more enjoyable, in my humble opinion. You pay enough already.

Maybe GOA before it gets to that awful senario will have worked out a way to (a) stop artifact farming and player behaviour that damages other peoples enjoyment of the game.

or (b) start to sell their own plat/items/artifacts online for real money at the fraction of the cost, thus totally screwing artifact farmers and companies that are making money from your game. :). I always feel sorry for Sims about this, as I have bought loads and loads of itmes over the past years and the actual game developers have seen none of the profit :(.

Kitty :)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Darzil gave the exact reason that selling of ingame items is not allowed earlier. If there is money to be made in it (and if it was freely allowed, there would be), you'd see professional companies setting up on every popular artifact, in all the best cash farming spots and totally controlling the game economy. The only way to get a GoV would be to buy one from a commercial website, prices on all items on CMs would be astronomical and the only way to afford them would be to buy plats from the same companies that owned the CMs with the juicy items. At that point the game becomes unplayable for anyone who isn't prepared to flex their credit card for ingame stuff. That's not the kind of game I'd like to be playing.
Actully I think you are very wrong, I don't think there would be anything close to that if it was accepted. 95% or maybe even more of the DAoC community would never pay real money for items or ingame money. So the whole professional companies idea that you think is gonna happen would probably lose more money than the made which wouldn't lead anywhere. I don't think it would change anything from what it is today, since I know for a fact that selling items and ingame money for real money ís happening on the servers allready..

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Zebolt said:
Actully I think you are very wrong, I don't think there would be anything close to that if it was accepted. 95% or maybe even more of the DAoC community would never pay real money for items or ingame money. So the whole professional companies idea that you think is gonna happen would probably lose more money than the made which wouldn't lead anywhere. I don't think it would change anything from what it is today, since I know for a fact that selling items and ingame money for real money ís happening on the servers allready..
95% of people at the moment would never pay real money for ingame items as they can get them themselves with a bit of effort. If a farming company moved in though and completely took over popular loot spots then you have no choice, you either pay up or quit.

Yes I also know that people sell money/items for real money on our servers even though it's against the rules. However it's on a very small scale comparitively.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
To be fair to Zebolt, Requiel, I'd never pay real money for in game items either. But also you're correct of course; it would come down to paying real money or quitting and, well, the majority of people I know would just quit.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
95% of people at the moment would never pay real money for ingame items as they can get them themselves with a bit of effort. If a farming company moved in though and completely took over popular loot spots then you have no choice, you either pay up or quit.

This is what happend on the lineage 2 server i used to play a long time ago...

but like i said, gold is everything in that game and allows you to twink your lowbie chars to an incredible height and increases the levelling speed by more then ~600%, and they made fortunes of irl money by farming and keeping the spawns occupied 24/7 when the game was released

the amount of lowlevels that walked around with (in daoc value) 40p equipment in the few weeks after release was just insane....

tho i doubt this would work very well in daoc especially with all the MLs, artifact encounters and rps which are hard to get or cannot be 'given' away...

only played that game for a short time, game had potential but the ebay farmers, the huge explost/itemlost rate in pvp and the incredibly slow exp rate made it crappy

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
1 way of fixing the current problem is to fix artifact timers to max 1 hour respawn, i know its not down to GOA to do this but they could put a little presure on Mythic to take a look at it.

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
The ultimate easiest way to fix it (and I don't know why it isn't done) is to fix it so you can only ever earn ONE of each artifact. This happens with epic armour; you earn it on a character, that's it. If it was the case that you could only get 1 of each arti drop (and lets face it, you can only ever use 1 of each anyway) then people couldn't just keep farming it for cash.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
I think the reason this is not happening is not cuz' of the rules but cuz' it would never hold. A company would not gain enough money to uphold their business and therefore would never happen. I think this game wouldn't last long if that thing were to happen. At least allmost everyone I know on the servers would quit. A monthly fee plus a sum of money for every item would just not be worth it even if it is a really good PvP system :>

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Zebolt said:
I think the reason this is not happening is not cuz' of the rules but cuz' it would never hold. A company would not gain enough money to uphold their business and therefore would never happen.

They do tho, that's why they operate in the US.
:sex:

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
All in all the situation however it is at the moment, hasn't affected me as I am so new at the game. Crafting, templates, artifacts are all a distant dream to myself at the moment. I'd only got to a level 25 character on English servers before I have moved and have to start again.

Hopefully by the time I get up to the level where you need plat to be advancing, I will hopefully have earned enough myself already to be able to do that. I hope I'm never ever in the position where I have to break any kind of rule to continue playing, that would be heartbreaking :(.

So far people have been really really nice and several people have given me money just for the sake of being nice. So haven't really needed anything to advance.

Kitty :)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Zebolt said:
I think the reason this is not happening is not cuz' of the rules but cuz' it would never hold. A company would not gain enough money to uphold their business and therefore would never happen. I think this game wouldn't last long if that thing were to happen. At least allmost everyone I know on the servers would quit. A monthly fee plus a sum of money for every item would just not be worth it even if it is a really good PvP system :>
I recently busted a company selling plats for money on our servers. The real life value of the plats that were stored on their mule characters according to the prices given on their website was nearly $800,000 US. No money in it you say?

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
I recently busted a company selling plats for money on our servers. The real life value of the plats that were stored on their mule characters according to the prices given on their website was nearly $800,000 US. No money in it you say?
If there is so much money in it as you say, why aren't there companies like that all over the place on all servers then?

I don't think $800,000 of those are just profit, or am I wrong?

Tilda

I just dont understand the argument about needing to buy plats. I've never bought plats, sure i've never had more than around 15 plat at any one time, but i've managed toa, and plenty of other stuff without it, if you need an item you find something you can trade for it, or farm the item youself. If you find yourself buying plats to buy an item, you need a reality check tbh.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
when I started on US server, I was getting in ~200p each week from the pve we were doing building up our templates (we were 8 ppl). Just dont see how there can be a problem getting money in this game :/

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
If there is so much money in it as you say, why aren't there companies like that all over the place on all servers then?

I don't think $800,000 of those are just profit, or am I wrong?

some reason I couldnt quote, owell, the $800,000 is estimated sell value

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Tilda said:
I just dont understand the argument about needing to buy plats. I've never bought plats, sure i've never had more than around 15 plat at any one time, but i've managed toa, and plenty of other stuff without it, if you need an item you find something you can trade for it, or farm the item youself. If you find yourself buying plats to buy an item, you need a reality check tbh.

Here here, I've ToA'd two characters, and I've not once had plats in double figures, I've activated SoM on my scout and did it for less than 4plat. IMO its so much easier to farm the things you need, rather than trying to buy at some of the stupidly priced CM's.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
What do you mean by farming?, I have heard this term lots and still don't know what it means. Does the farming have a detrimental effect on other gamers?. I mean I gather from these boards that artifact farming is bad, so what farming is considered good?.

I mean I'd feel bloody awful if my behaviour to get plats, ruined someone elses game even in a small way. I take it as a given that as we all pay the same to play, so all should have exactley the same choices, oppertunities as everyone else.

So which farming is good, non detrimental farming, and what is bad, should be shot, ruining other peoples enjoyment farming?

Kitty

Aeva

Banned
Kittyfantastico said:
What do you mean by farming?, I have heard this term lots and still don't know what it means. Does the farming have a detrimental effect on other gamers?. I mean I gather from these boards that artifact farming is bad, so what farming is considered good?.

I mean I'd feel bloody awful if my behaviour to get plats, ruined someone elses game even in a small way. I take it as a given that as we all pay the same to play, so all should have exactley the same choices, oppertunities as everyone else.

So which farming is good, non detrimental farming, and what is bad, should be shot, ruining other peoples enjoyment farming?

Kitty

Farming is not against the CoC and I don't think people get banned for doing it, its just selfish. I think the 'bad' way of farming is just doing it more or less 24/7 and not letting anyone join in (ie for credit etc)

I don't see what is so wrong about farming while at the same time letting other people have a go aswell.

Tilda

Theres a difference between camping an arti, or doing an arti for yourself or your charachter, or going to the mobs that drop a scroll you need and killing them until it drops.
That would be imho an "ok" type of farming, cause the stuff that drops is used by you.

What, imho, is not ok, is the groups of people who go around doing every artis that is up, just to put them on their CM's at stupidly high prices. Its this type of farmer that bugs me. Say I see someone waiting for an arti to pop and just as they're getting a group of people to do it, 5 people, all botted, stuck to 1, all unguilded come along, kill it, and 15 mins later theres another GoV etc on an anonymous CM at a stupidly high price.

Imo its ok to kill mobs, get artis etc if you're going to use them, when its not ok is when you sell them for money, ironicly enough, to get cash to buy some other arti off CM's.

Carrera

Fledgling Freddie
By farming he meant he got the items for himself, which is considered perfectly acceptable and not detrimental to anyones enjoyment of the game. Eg someone might say "Im off to farm some diamond seals".
Artifact farming is usually when people camp particular spawns of artifacts that they don't need to sell for money. Some people consider this greedy because of the long spawn timers, which stops people who actually need the artifact from obtaining it.
Personally I don't see a problem with it, in fact I'm glad people are farming them and putting them on their cm's so I don't have to waste all that time getting it myself :)

Tilda

Carrera said:
Personally I don't see a problem with it, in fact I'm glad people are farming them and putting them on their cm's so I don't have to waste all that time getting it myself :)

How do you* afford the prices? Farm your own cash? How do you do that, sell artis/items/drops at vastly overinflated prices.
Its a viscious circle, if everybody just stopped buying artis, and stopped doing artis unless they acctually needed them for themselves, then artis would be up 90% of the time and stupid camp sessions wouldnt be needed.

Tilda

*you in a general term, not aimed at you Carrera

Carrera

Fledgling Freddie
There are very easy ways to get cash with minimal effort in this game, just have to use your brain :)
And no I dont camp artifacts to sell them.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for clearing that up for me :).
Yes I agree if you're going to use the item, to me that may be termed as farming, but doesn't harm or impede anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

Farming for the sake of selling it on your consignment merchant in my honest opinion is just as bad as people who sell plats/artifacts/items on E bay. This forces people in actual fact to not only have to buy plats for real money, but they also risk breaking the coc, which would mean punishment
just to advance/get on in the game. Otherwise they have absolutley no chance of gaining an artifact or the plats to buy one without farming themselves thus the whole vicious circle starts again.

It's a complete bugger really isn't it *sigh*

Kitty

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
There are two types of farming.

1. Farming mobs that drop scrolls/gold/metal salvagables/diamond seals etc.

2. Farming artifacts

Number 1 isnt that bad because normally most people need the scrolls and will spend some time actually killing the same mob over and over until the scroll drops. Or farming diamond seals to either sell to crafters or to buy the items and salvage themselves. Or just killing mobs that drop a lot of gold.

Number 2 is the one that really does get my goat because the artifact mob isnt a insta respawn and can take up to a few days to respawn and isnt always a 100% drop or maybe requires a pre quest or some other time consuming constraint.

The problem with artifact farming for the soul purpose of selling is this.

If the prospective person buying the artifact doesnt have the credit then whats the point in buying an unactivated artifact they cant get credit because the farmers are camping the mob so therefore its a totally worthless item.

If they do manage to actually kill the mob and get credit then there is a chance that the item will actually drop anyways and they dont need to buy it from the cm.

Ive had instances of my full group all active players all real people all actually at the computer doing an artifact mob only to have some person with a buffbot on stick run up and start complaining at us for killing the mob just because they were in the area.

In my way of thinking

8 people (somtimes 9) vs 1 person and a bot (who already has the artifact) which group has more right over the artifact mob

the person who is just going to sell it on the cms or the people who actually need it for a group member ?

I suppose what im saying is that having 200 plat on a character is it really that important.

Remember legendary alchemy and spellcrafting cost around 20ish plat so really how much money does one person need.

OK they might need to buy a rare scroll or a rare item off the cm but honestly i think if they found more friends instead of just a bot they might not have so much of a problem in getting the artifact.
anyways people know what i think about arti farmers i dont like them. and all i can say to people is dont buy from the cms scrolsl yes items yes arits no.

Im sure when that guard of valor has sat on their cm for 6 months at an overinflated price they might actually lower it to a reasonable level.

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
1 way of fixing the current problem is to fix artifact timers to max 1 hour respawn, i know its not down to GOA to do this but they could put a little presure on Mythic to take a look at it.

I do and dont agree with this ..would be nice for a future game patch if a new 'version of toa comes out with new arties' etc but I worked hard to get the arties I have ..ive spent plenty of time sitting down camping things like golm and gov and bo shadows etc and I would probably be a bit bitter if I saw a load of random people done up in the finest with minimal effort ..

now ..I would love to see people with limited play time etc etc get some love but I could not help being a bit bitter considering the HUGE amount of hours I would have camped and now these guys would get a full template in a day if they wanted..

I just feel they and I should have to work for it like it is atm although I would like to see all mobs on constant drop mode..more so Golm than any other arti :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom