Places to live around (but not in) Croydon

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have a new job, in Whytelafe, Surrey (more on that later), and I don't think I'm going to be able to commute easily from where I currently live, so I'd like a bit of advice from the locals about good areas around Croydon. I know there's quite a few of you from that neck of the woods, so any ideas? Ideally somewhere with decent local amenities (Pubs, Supermarket, Gym, cinema etc.) but not a chav hellhole. Ta.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Don't live in Norwood, whatever you do....more stabbings/murders/muggings/gun crime round there than in the rest of london put together, and its barely ever publicized as few people actually ever die....just get horribly mangled!

Ono

Part of the furniture
Shirley area is fine. Was only there yesterday visiting friends.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Whyltleafe? Find somewhere in Godstone or round there. Much nicer, I know that area well, nice , almost countryside :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If your working in Whyetelafe why do you want to live in Croydon? You could live in or near to Guildford/Woking, lots of nice places around there.

DaGaffer

If your working in Whyetelafe why do you want to live in Croydon? You could live in or near to Guildford/Woking, lots of nice places around there.

If I'm moving anyway, there doesn't seem much point in moving to somewhere like Guildford, which is still 30 miles away! Why give myself a commute I don't need? I'm moving to avoid that.

Throdgrain said:
Whyltleafe? Find somewhere in Godstone or round there. Much nicer, I know that area well, nice , almost countryside

Yeah, I've been looking on the map at Godstone and Caterham, but I'm a city boy at heart, I think being too close to all that green would cause me to come out in a rash or something. Also, most of my social life takes place inside the M25.

mank said:
thornton heath!

Isn't that like, twinned with Beirut or something?

I'm feeling drawn towards Sutton at the moment...

JingleBells

FH is my second home

That'd be one hell of a fun commute :)

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm pretty fine in Addiscombe, it's quiet here.
And the tram comes here, so it's easy to get around.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Shirley has a clear dividing line between chav scum sections and nicer areas, but it is very close to croydon town centre, I do not think it is what you really want. The only truly nice place near croydon is any property in the whitgift foundation, but you will need a loaded wallet. Purley would be a nice choice.

Avoid Addiscombe, addington, shirley. All too near to croydon town centre to be any different. Coulsdon might be worth a look, but you will get lots of college kids around.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Part of Shirley I was in was OK. Lots of leafey roads etc.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm feeling drawn towards Sutton at the moment...

*Twitch*

I currently live here, it's a pretty nice area once you get past the 13-14 year olds who think they're actually 20. Pretty big town centre with enough shops and a decent cinema.

Nearest gyms would be going towards Mitcham/Aiming towards the top (past station) on Sutton to Cannons.

Lots of clubs/pubs/places to chill out, and if you find the right place can be quite quiet. (Hell, I live 200m from a estate and I get no noise here)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be honest mate if I were you, I'd spent a day driving round having a look at some of the places.

I've lived in Thornton Heath for 26 years and it's never bothered me yet. It's not the best city in the world ever, far from it, but it's like a lot of places these days, you need to be aware of where you are and who else is around.

Avoid South Norwood like the plague, it's like being in Shaun of the Dead at night, they all come out. Addington is chav, so you've already excluded that.

I'd suggest you pick somewhere on the doorstep of your new job (avoid a commute) as Croydon will generally only be a few stops away on the train or a half hour drive if you want to go out, cinema, etc.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sutton is chav central of the world. Mark my words, Croydon get the bad rep that sutton deserves.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Sutton is chav central of the world. Mark my words, Croydon get the bad rep that sutton deserves.

Sadly, even though what I said about the place; I'm going to agree a bit with what you said.

I was up in Manor Park (Near B&Q) and two fights broke out, really big ones. Rather silly.

But, it is quite nice other than that. Just depends where you live in Sutton. :)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Could just get the train from Guildford? Lovely place, go to uni here and its mostly commuters I see at the station

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Guildfords fucking miles from Croydon.

Its only about 50 mins by train, which isn't that bad.

But I suppose its down to personal preference at the end of the day. Woking would be better by about 10 mins, but personally you couldn't pay me to live in Woking.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Guildfords fucking miles from Croydon.

He will be working in Whyetelafe, not Croydon, Guildford is only a short distance further than Croydon and the people there (generally) don't smell of piss. Decent night life there with less scumbags and chavs than Croydon, good shopping centre and easy access to Reading, Woking and London.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
He will be working in Whyetelafe, not Croydon, Guildford is only a short distance further than Croydon and the people there (generally) don't smell of piss. Decent night life there with less scumbags and chavs than Croydon, good shopping centre and easy access to Reading, Woking and London.

Pardon my lack of geography (I've only knew theses places existed till this year when I started working in Leatherhead), but according to a map, Whyteleafe to Croydon is 5.4 miles, it's 31.7 miles to Guildford, on the M25 too :puke:

DaGaffer

Pardon my lack of geography (I've only knew theses places existed till this year when I started working in Leatherhead), but according to a map, Whyteleafe to Croydon is 5.4 miles, it's 31.7 miles to Guildford, on the M25 too :puke:

Exactly. I don't where this obsession with bloody Guildford is coming from. In a straight line I'm closer to Whytleafe where I already am than Guildford! (unfortunately from here it would mean driving through Central London, 60 miles via the M25 or three tubes and a train, which is why its a bit of a non-starter).

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dont know much about where you will be working fella, but take a close look at the new (ish!) tram that links around those areas... I lived in Beckenham and yes, there's good and bad bits but it's £20 cab ride from town on a late one....

DaGaffer

A few people have mentioned Beckenham to me. I'll give it a look. Ta.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you'll be D. from Beckenham! oh think of the ribbing :eek:

DaGaffer

you'll be D. from Beckenham! oh think of the ribbing :eek:

That actually crossed my mind for a second :), but I think people will have some more interesting topics of "ribbing" for me; I haven't told you the job I've got yet. Head of Online for...

...Ann Summers! :D

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Its actually about 29 miles Guildford > Whyteleafe and 20 miles Crawley > Whyteleafe, talking dead centre of each town, where nobody would want to live, Anyway, he has said he doesn't want to live there so it doesn't matter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom