Piratey Movement Fun

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It wasnt commodotised - you couldnt buy 'punk clothing' - it was an expression of individualism - money people couldnt exploit it.

Utter bollocks. Punk was being exploited within seconds of its "invention". And you could buy "punk" clothing on the King's Road from day one - Vivienne Westwood effectively invented the punk "look" and started flogging it immediately.

*edit* Hawkwind beat me to it. Carry on.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
BPI Legal Action
The proxy server the Pirate Party UK initially provided in solidarity with other parties in Europe, but later as an anti-censorship resource for UK users, has now been been removed. Loz Kaye made the following statement:
Elected members of the party's National Executive Committee, along with the head of IT, received letters from lawyers acting for British Phonographic Industry (BPI), threatening them personally with High Court legal action.
After seeking exhaustive advice, as well as attempts to open dialogue with the BPI, it has become clear that the law as it stands makes any decision to continue hosting the proxy impossible. This is not the outcome I wanted, however a challenge to this action from the BPI would make it financially impossible, even in light of recent fundraising efforts, to campaign actively in the way our members expect.
We will be continuing to fight for digital rights, transparency and all the other issues that we care about.

Seems like it's done for over here now, unless there's another new URL?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Copyright is still bullshit. Imagine if math were copyrighted or parts of the alphabet.

The bottom line is that one something is let out of the bottle then it can't be put back in.

You release a song, it's out there. You release nuclear theory, it's out there.

Frankly it used to be that the money went to the person that made the best version of something, not those who claimed they own it.

Oh and before we get into drugs and research costs etc, necessity is the mother of invention, I don't think ICI etc came up with penicillin.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yup. Copyright is about the creation of artificial scarcity. In a digital world, where you can copy works a bazillion times over, in seconds, at the touch of a button for practically zero cost then the current system makes no sense.

However, a lot of very rich people stand to lose their livelihoods because of digital production and copying - despite the fact that they've been on that artificial gravy train for decades now. And they're bringing their huge financial power to bear so we don't get the market we want.

Artists are badly paid the world over. Copyright is not about perserving their livelihood or making sure they can "carry on producing" or any such shit. It's about keeping rich people in control of a commodity. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom