Piratey Movement Fun

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I'm not saying free music. I'm saying cut out the middleman is all. Now all we need is the invention of a global distribution medium that would allow artists to directly connect with their fans in a manner that's more meaningful than has ever happened before - that cuts out the need for a promoter that takes 80-90% of the gross and wangs it in his pocket, eh?

BTW - Live performance is where music is at anyway. Be it in a pub, in a field, in an auditorium, whatever. Live music has always been a bazillion times better than listening in your front room :)

You try going up to MTV or Top of The Pops or a Radio station with your new CD. You won't even get in the door. These so called middlemen have money for promotions, contacts to ensure your music is heard, other more famous bands you can gig with to promote the band etc.

I understand what you would like to achieve with a different distribution method, but at this moment in time these middlemen aren't just there to take your bands money. People like Simon Cowell can make people a star. Yeah he might take 70% of the earnings, but he can get you that foot in the door.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
People like Simon Cowell hold music back as an artform and make retards stars in the pursuit of profit only and it would be no sad day if they burned alive, old christian-style, for everyone to watch and throw things at

Fixed ;)

rynnor

Rockhound
If people dont like shit music they should stop buying it - I haven't bought anything non-classical for years - I'm horribly bored of todays music.

In large part it is the music industry (not musicians) that killed the old style progression of music from one phase to another - when I was a kid we had ska/punk/new romantics etc. and these were things that went beyond music to encompass a shared attitude/beliefs.

But music rapidly became commoditised - the image became everything and the meanings slipped away - images are easy to sell and you can stick them on t-shirts etc.

I wouldnt download music frankly because they have nothing I want.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm not saying free music. I'm saying cut out the middleman is all. Now all we need is the invention of a global distribution medium that would allow artists to directly connect with their fans in a manner that's more meaningful than has ever happened before - that cuts out the need for a promoter that takes 80-90% of the gross and wangs it in his pocket, eh?

BTW - Live performance is where music is at anyway. Be it in a pub, in a field, in an auditorium, whatever. Live music has always been a bazillion times better than listening in your front room :)

Wow, it seems to be deja vu week. Take away "the middleman" (music labels) and you just get a new middleman (Google, Apple etc.) who are just as rapacious as Sony or Warners on their worst day, and actually add even less value. And the problem with live is a scarcity of venues, and as with so much with the music industry, live performance is a great money spinner if you've already made it (thanks, music biz), not so much if you're trying to break in.

rynnor

Rockhound
And the problem with live is a scarcity of venues, and as with so much with the music industry, live performance is a great money spinner if you've already made it (thanks, music biz), not so much if you're trying to break in.

Lets not forget the ticketing scams - huge booking fees, ticket touts - mmm middlemen :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
That would be the movement that even The Economist has to admit contributed meaningfully to the discussion after the financial crisis?

Watched their leader/spokesman interviewed on Sky News last week and he came across as a complete arse!

Sky News, "So why go after Starbucks?"
Occupy, "Because they do not contribute in these hard times when everyone else is suffering."
Sky, "But they have not broken any laws in the UK, if your going to demonstrate why not take it to parliament. The people responsible for UK Tax laws? Starbucks have contributed to the UK with thousands of jobs, people not claiming benefits!"
Occupy, "That's not the point, they have been deceitful and what they did was morally wrong."
Sky, "How is it deceitful when no law has been broken? Morally wrong, maybe but since when did we get taxed on moral values and what is right. We are taxed to a set of rules controlled by our government."

Went on like that for 10 minutes. The Occupy Spokesman came across as a bitter little twat that probably once burnt his lips on a Starbucks coffee and was desperate to get revenge.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Went on like that for 10 minutes.

Funny and very hypocritical - considering Sky News carried a story about how Jimmy Carr was "Morally Wrong" on Tax, from the Prime Minister...

I've paid more corporation tax than Starbucks.

But you are right - UK Tax law is to blame. It doesn't mean that the Occupy movement put their sights on a bad target however. They choose their targets based on the possible results - and good on them.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
opticle said:
It's a thumbs down? I thought it was a scratchy-head moment.. now I look more closely, it is a thumbs down..has it always been a thumbs down? :cautious:

I think you have a problem between keyboard and chair :-(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It's a thumbs down? I thought it was a scratchy-head moment.. now I look more closely, it is a thumbs down..has it always been a thumbs down? :cautious:

Opticle needs a trip to the opticians :) Comes with getting old mate. Keep telling my wife she is half blind, half deaf and half divorced!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
If people dont like shit music they should stop buying it - I haven't bought anything non-classical for years - I'm horribly bored of todays music.

In large part it is the music industry (not musicians) that killed the old style progression of music from one phase to another - when I was a kid we had ska/punk/new romantics etc. and these were things that went beyond music to encompass a shared attitude/beliefs.

But music rapidly became commoditised - the image became everything and the meanings slipped away - images are easy to sell and you can stick them on t-shirts etc.

I wouldnt download music frankly because they have nothing I want.

Eh? Image was everything to those eras you describe, Ska perhaps being an exception. The Sex Pistols, the most famous of the british punk bands were built around an image, New Romantics were punks who put more make up on than the rest to stand out and the music evolved from the image.

rynnor

Rockhound
Aoami said:
Eh? Image was everything to those eras you describe, Ska perhaps being an exception. The Sex Pistols, the most famous of the british punk bands were built around an image, New Romantics were punks who put more make up on than the rest to stand out and the music evolved from the image.

It wasnt commodotised - you couldnt buy 'punk clothing' - it was an expression of individualism - money people couldnt exploit it.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It wasnt commodotised - you couldnt buy 'punk clothing' - it was an expression of individualism - money people couldnt exploit it.

I think Vivienne Westward and Malcolm McLaren might disagree with you. Out of his Kings Road shop she dressed up most of the UK Punk scene including the Sex Pistols. Half of Carnaby Street Market was selling Punk clothes by 1977.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hawkwind said:
I think Vivienne Westward and Malcolm McLaren might disagree with you. Out of his Kings Road shop she dressed up most of the UK Punk scene including the Sex Pistols. Half of Carnaby Street Market was selling Punk clothes by 1977.

My eldest sister was a punk and from memory all of her fellows created their own look but your right there were early attempts to commoditise it.

Nowadays most people are sheep.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We worry about starbucks not paying much tax..more of a worry to me is the millions who think buying their product is a good idea..coffee is the new smack it would seem...stick a fancy machine on the counter...charge 4 quid a cup and watch tje queue form.

Himse

FH is my second home
My eldest sister was a punk and from memory all of her fellows created their own look but your right there were early attempts to commoditise it.

Nowadays most people are sheep.

People will/have always be sheep. It's just more accessible now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom