Ping = 60 >>>> 999

S

|SpooK|

OK i been reading a lot of treads on these forums with ping problems and i wondered if anyone could help me out ..

OK .. Here we go

Installed Q3 the other week and downloaded the latest point release :) ..

Went into All Seeing Eye and set it up for YET another online shootum up lol

Connected to a Barrysworld FFA Server .. Steady ping of 60 on a ISDN 64k connection ...

2 mins into the game i couldnt hit jack shit .. lagging everywhere looked at my ping and WOW 999 ...

So i disconected from server and tryed a blueyonder .. Same shit happened :(

What i was wondering is .. are there any setting like for the game itself and for my connection to get me on a stable ping (I have tryed 3 ISP)

The game at the moment is like it was when i installed it with all the lovely graphics and shit

PC =

P3 800
256meg Ram
And a Voodoo 3000 16Meg AGP "ouch not good i know"

Please help me someone :)

T

TedTheDog

rate?
Whats your rate?
I dont know how to set it in Q3 but if its too high your connect will be overwhelmed by your own machine trying to slurp down more data than your connect is capable of handling.

S

|SpooK|

Rate ???

See me is way new to this , config files consol commands and stuff

not sure on rate it would more than likely be set as standered when i installed Q3 as i havn't altered anything

;)

C

Chameleon

You can issue commands to q3 from the console when you are in the game. To get to the console you press the key left of '1' and above 'tab'. A small window will drop down from the top of your screen.

/seta rate 5000
/seta snaps 20
/seta cl_maxpackets 40
/seta cl_packetdup 1

should be ok settings for you.
Using the prefix 'seta' will write these settings to your q3config.cfg file and so they will be applied every time you load q3. If you want to try things out before having them permanently set, just replace 'seta' with 'set'.
Sudden 999's are more than likely to be a) a bad isp, or b) a dodgy server (if others on the server also have ping fluctuations).

If you would like to learn more you can read plenty on q3 settings and connection tweaking here

S

|SpooK|

OK Cheers ...

Just one last question ... At the moment i use 0800dial for my dial up ISP ...

If anyone knows any better ISP for online Gameing please share this ....

Cheers

C

Chameleon

0800's tend to be the worst type to game on to be honest. If you do want an 0800, Anytime from Jolt may be your best option. Paying by the minute tends to be best for your connection, but obvioulsy more expensive.

S

Sar

Default rate in Q3 when first installed is 33.6k rate which is 3000, so I doubt, unless it's been changed somehow, that your rate is too high.

Ditto for your maxpackets setting, which is 30 by default (again 33.6k suitable).

I'd deffo try a new ISP, and not an 0800 one, as 0800 isps are notoriously crap for gaming, especially if you're trying to play a FPS online.

If you're serious about playing online then I suggest you look into broadband of some sort. Not only will it be cheaper overall in the longrun (my cable modem = £20 per month flat rate) but your gaming will be far more enjoyable to boot.

Ideally go for NTL cable, failing that some other cable provider. Failing all those, then you're stuck with ADSL which imo is not a suitable connection for gaming.

S

|SpooK|

Not in a Cable area unfortunately , but i live a stone throw from my exchange so maybe ADSL might be ok :)

I have writen this out so far with what i have seen on the net about Q3 Config please tell me if it needs anymore ajustment :p

seta com_blood "0"
seta cg_drawRewards "0"
seta cg_draw3dIcons "0"
seta cg_simpleItems "0"
seta cg_gibs "0"
seta cg_marks "0"
seta cg_brassTime "0"
seta cg_shadows "0"
seta cg_forceModel "0"
seta r_picmip "1"
seta r_finish "1"
seta r_roundImagesDown "2"
seta r_detailtextures "0"
seta r_ignoreFastPath "0"
seta r_lodBias "1"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_subdivisions "115"
seta r_lodCurveError "50"
seta r_colorbits "16"
seta r_texturebits "16"
seta r_dynamiclight "0"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_fastsky "0"
seta r_flares "0"
seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
seta r_vertexLight "0"
seta s_loadas8bit "1"
seta s_khz "22"
seta s_musicvolume "0"
seta rate 5000
seta snaps 20
seta cl_maxpackets 40
seta cl_packetdup 1

S

Sar

seta com_blood "0"
seta cg_drawRewards "0"
seta cg_draw3dIcons "0"
seta cg_simpleItems "1"
seta cg_gibs "0"
seta cg_marks "0"
seta cg_brassTime "0"
seta cg_shadows "0"
seta cg_forceModel "1"
seta r_picmip "3"
seta r_finish "0"
seta r_roundImagesDown "2"
seta r_detailtextures "0"
seta r_ignoreFastPath "0"
seta r_lodBias "3"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_subdivisions "250"
seta r_lodCurveError "50"
seta r_colorbits "16"
seta r_texturebits "16"
seta r_dynamiclight "0"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_fastsky "1"
seta r_flares "0"
seta r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
seta r_vertexLight "1"
seta s_loadas8bit "1"
seta s_khz "22"
seta s_musicvolume "0"
seta rate 5000
seta snaps 20
seta cl_maxpackets 40
seta cl_packetdup 1

More suitable for a 16mb V3 on a p3-800.

:)

S

|SpooK|

Right now me is getting somewhere :)

OK this file i called my.cfg ... will i need to copy this into a floder or file and exec it at the consol or will it load its self ???

T

throdgrain

aha yes if your using gamespy you will need to type /exec autoexec.cfg every time you enter a server,if you have made a separate autoexec file,as gamespy will keep resetting your rate otherwise.ase is ok btw.

copyright ch@melion 2001 :D

S

Sar

place it in your baseq3 folder, then load up Q3.

Bring down the console (`) and:

\exec my (you can leave off the .cfg bit)

This will apply your settings, then just to be sure:

\vid_restart

That will restart Q3s video subsystem and apply all your gfx changes.

These should apply themselves to your q3config.cfg file (the cfg file q3 uses on loading) automatically but incase it doesn't, rename your my.cfg to autoexec.cfg and then they'll be applied automatically.

If you want a full config, I wrote a Q3 config generator in PHP along with screenies showing what each option does (click on the
show.gif
to see what effect each option has) :

http://www.the-yarn.net/config/config.php

S

|SpooK|

My god that is a peice of work ...... :)

gonna go try it out later after work :p

What are the best servers to play on ??? Barrysworld i guess lol

if you see me about i will be player ^GP^

Hopefully this will have sorted all my troubles

Cheers guys for all ya help

S

|SpooK|

ok sorted that now when i connect to server it kicks me off .. barrys and blue yonder :(

HHEEELLLPPPPPP :rolleyes:

S

Sar

What version of Q3 are you running?

What error message does it give you in the console (scroll up and down with the page up & down keys)?

What mod/gametype is it you're trying to play?

S

|SpooK|

point release 1.31 , ffa DM .....

barrysworld i get into game then boots me back to menu screen

blueyonder is

failed to load models/players/characters/mike/lower/md3

S

Sar

turn downloads off and try again:

\cl_allowdownload 0

Do you have OSP installed? Because it may be an OSP server, and if you don't have it installed it could well be kicking you for that: http://www.orangesmoothie.org

S

|SpooK|

Sorry didnt see ya post till this morning , tell ya one thing thou would it have mattered IF when i installed Q3 i then updated to point release 1.31 .. wothout entering the CD Key ??? because sometimes it does kick me back to the CD Key screen even thou its in there ???

Will download that OSP tonight , but barrysworld arnt OSP are they .. just cant understand as it was working ok the other week

C

Chameleon

Yeah the console should tell you what the problem is.
As already mentioned, allowing/disallowing downloads can solve problems.
'cl_allowdownload 1' allows downloads, while

'cl_allowdownload 0' stops it downloading.

Both can be troublesome.
If you are missing the mod or map that is currently running, cl_allowdownload 1 will enable the server to start downloading the missing files to you (best thing to do at this point is note the file/mod name and then got to the BW ftp and download it from there)
Some servers however will have maps on the server pc which are not even in the map cycle, but which might try to force you to d/load it, even though you prolly wont need it. You should be able to set cl_allowdownload 0 and still connect.
OSP is likely to be in use by many public servers. You should download and install it.
The BW servers are likely to have some maps which people play in the leagues, so you may need to look for maps from here.
If you have CD key problems, you can always delete the CDKEY file (prolly in baseq3 or QuakeIIIarena directory iirc) and then load q3 and type it in again.

GL

Btw, play CTF ......... it's the daddy :)

S

|SpooK|

I'v Been playing UT CTF more many moons now but never tryed Q3 CTF deffo wanna give it a go if this dam problem gets resolved lol ....

Unreal T is getting to boreing now , same maps played in Tournaments and i just cant stand the lame Spawn Snipers on face anymore

Thats why Q3 is the way forward for me get me settings sorted and at least i will have a chance at fragging its not as if me is a complete newbie to FPS :D

Gonna do as ya said as soon as me runs me ass home after work

S

Sar

Don't worry about the CD key thing, as you don't actually need a CD key to play Q3 online anymore...

S

|SpooK|

Right ,
So all i need to do now is

Get this OSP Downloaded and installed :)

Set me downloads to 1 so if i am missing a file it will let me download it

And hopefully i will be able to frag a few :D

Tell ya something thou i'v had more help outs this forum than anyother lol ... Posts get viewed and no fucker is even bothered to reply

But my Respect for All you's that have helped me and maybe i might be able to frag ya asses soon :rolleyes:

:p

S

Sar

Hehe, aye basically download OSP, install it and try connecting to a BW server.

:D

S

|SpooK|

Ok lets add to this , you lot are more than likely gonna hate me for good now lol

ok OSP Cool got it installed it , Blueyonder servers are cool BUT my ping still hits 600 now . its ok when there is about 3 - 4 players but as soon as it fills up thats it .. spike that ping here i come :clap:

Anyway .. as for BarrysWorld .. still kicks me back to main menu in Q3

Bugger think me gonna give up :(

O

old.Gibzz

Noo don't give up ;) You'll get there in the end.

It may be more help to find someone in irc if u use it while trying to connect so they can check what servers u are connecting to and other suggestions.

U can certainly get me anytime in #threewave if u need any help on irc quakenet, some of the other chaps here I'm sure lurk in channels who will try and help as well.

Don't worry we'll get u sorted somehow ;)

S

|SpooK|

Right ok ....

Tonight seen as it is friday i will be spending my time sorting this out , if ya dont mind what time are you going to be about in this Channel (i do use irc normaly in #game-domain)

But if you could help this would be greatfull :)

O

old.Gibzz

I'm often about anytime, just pm me if nec as it normally makes my PC beep ;)

S

|SpooK|

Will be about after 6pm ;)

Perhaps i might get a game in as well :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom