PHP breadcrumb trail

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thought I'd start a new thread on this seeing as it will get lost in the what are you up to thread eventually..

I've spent most of the day reading about different ways to create a breadcrumb trail but I can't quite get my head around it. Macromedia has an extention that seems way too complicated; I had a go at a CGI script and couldn't get it to work; I'm pretty sure Jinglebell's way of doing it with a PHP script will probably be the easiest for me to do, but I can't figure that out either... there seems to be plenty of scripts out there but I get lost, I couldn't even get the one called ridiculously simple php breadcrumb one to work; but it can't be that difficult to set up, people have been doing it for years haven't they? :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I got a simple breadcrumb script working now: http://www.planet-surveyor.com/planets/mars/index.php that just reads directory names; I had to alter the one from the linked site in the above post, it had some little errors in it that I never would have been able to fix a couple of weeks ago, before I bought a book on PHP. :)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic,

What I find with breadcrumbs is that different people expect different behaviour, for example:

one visitor might expect a breadcrumb trail to show them how they navigated to the current page (hence the name!);

another visitor might want to see the content structure (eg: folder names) leading down to the current page (cf: most ecommerce sites). If you can present both bits of information on the page and make it clear which is which then you are winning :)

just my 2p,
Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom