Phones Phone stolen, replacement?

Clown

Part of the furniture
Got picked yesterday. Cancelled my SIM, blocked the phone. Detached all sessions of Facebook, Twitter, Google and changed passwords. Don't remember what else I need to do.

Now, I don't know what phone I should get in the meantime between now and September. What kind of decent cheapish phone can I get these days? Don't really want to spend a bomb because I doubt I'll be keeping it.

I'm so out of touch with phones now.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
How much are you willing to spend?
There are a few really cheap alternatives.

The Orange Sanfransisco (I or II) are very good and very cheap but I would root the phone and get rid of all the orange crap and perhaps put a custom rom on it to get the most out of it.

The Orange Monte Carlo is an upgrade from the San Fran but is a lot bigger...

Clown

Part of the furniture
Pah, the phone got recovered so I might as well unblock it. Thanks anyway :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
really? awesome 0o I left mine in a train once, and fuck no did anyone turn it in :-/

Clown

Part of the furniture
Nobody turned mine in either. I was just moaning on Facebook that my karma had run out for all the phones I hand in or even return back to their owners. Then my mate got a call from the police saying someone was arrested and my phone was on his possession. Funny.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah smashed my Sensation screen :(

First non-Nokia phone I get and it breaks in a hard fall. Pah. Well, tbh it has had a few and it did land pretty much screen down. Gonna see how much it'll cost to fix as I've a year on the contract and it'll still be worth some when I upgrade and I can get a decent return on it, probably more than just the screen.

But yeah might have to consider a stopgap.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah t'was, was just the angle of impact I think. Very awkward.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I have the Casemate Barely There case for my GS2 and while I think it offers *some* protection, there's only so much a slither of plastic can do.

That said, all I have to do is take a lint-free cloth to the screen and it looks like I just pulled it out of the box. :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
that vibrate function sure does come in handy doesnt it......

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Been quoted about £70 for a new screen replacement and fitting to be done in a day or so, will probably take it in tomorrow and have it back Wednesday.

Sounds good enough to me having had a little look around. It's about 2 weeks quicker and less than half the price than through vodafone anyway.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
is that via Samsung? You can probably get a kit online and do it yourself to.

soze

I am a FH squatter
He has a HTC and unless they have really up'd their game in the last few months that's not going back to HTC more likely carphone warehouse or someone?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
is that via Samsung? You can probably get a kit online and do it yourself to.

From everything I've seen and read it looks like a very fiddly job unless you're good at/experienced in stuff like that.

I have big fingers and no deftness of touch for these things so there's no chance I'd be able to do it myself.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't remember what else I need to do.
Register it on the http://www.immobilise.com/ website. Even though you have it back already this greatly increases the chances of a recovery and should frankly be encouraged by phone manufacturers out of the box (like with new cars and the security registrations).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If it makes you feel better wazz, my iPhone 4 power button has stopped working.... Discounted apple out of warranty repair? £120!!! I am going to complain to the high heavens, and get some 3rd party quotes. Also called 3 and told them I won't renew in a few months unless they pay for the repairs or swap the phone themselves.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Wow £120 for a power button. That's madness.

At least the bit I'm replacing is pretty vital and relatively major. Took it in today, will report back when it's returned (probably tomorrow evening).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To be fair they replace the whole phone... But still. It's a con to get you to pay 68 quid for their extended warranty.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Needless to say, next phone is not an apple one now. Bad experiences put me off hardware vendors easily. So sony, htc and apple are all off the list now

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So you'll be using a brand no-one's ever heard of in future? Or worse still, a blackberry?! ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Samsung. Apples after care may be geared towards selling warranty, but my phone is out or it's first year. I can understand that to a degree.

Whilst I like the look of the new htc one phones; I cant bring myself to go that way after my bad experiences with the hero and desire and htc's awful customer service.

I'm annoyed I didn't sell my iPhone last year for a s2 really, but the free software via jailbreak kept me loyal.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
FUCKS SAKE

The replacement screen apparently turned up broken so they have to get another one in which means I have to wait until tomorrow evening. Fucking irritating as fucking hell.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Ch3t you can always try kicking up a fuss with Apple and looking up the Sale of Goods Act. If you've treated your phone reasonably then it should last a decent amount of time or it's not fit for purpose.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
They fucking broke the microphone when they fitted the new screen so *another* day while they get a part in.

At least they appear to be honest about it and haven't charged me anything for this part or the work, just pissed off that a "1 day" fix has now gone into it's 3rd day.

The most annoying thing is it's half term, so every fucking retarded parent is bringing their kids into London on the train and I have nothing to block the arseholes out without a phone with music on. Near impossible to read with that amount of jarring noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom