Help Permissions Bollocks.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Right this is driving me fucking mental.

I play my media through my Xbox 360 but the Xbox isn't seeing folders within folders, so if I have a TV series I can't play it because obviously all the episodes are inside another folder. I have worked out that I need to change the properties of said folders to archive, if I do that then the Xbox see's it and all is hunky dorey. All my stuff is on my NAS.

Now I can change the properties *rarely* but I have done it but most of the time I get a permissions error, I read that this is due to Vista and UAC, couple of problems with that, 1. UAC is turned off and 2. I have tried it with Windows 7 and get exactly the same error.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this problem, I have googled it and tried things with UAC but nothing has worked (including a clean Windows 7 install :eek: ).

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Right this is driving me fucking mental.

I play my media through my Xbox 360 but the Xbox isn't seeing folders within folders, so if I have a TV series I can't play it because obviously all the episodes are inside another folder. I have worked out that I need to change the properties of said folders to archive, if I do that then the Xbox see's it and all is hunky dorey. All my stuff is on my NAS.

Now I can change the properties *rarely* but I have done it but most of the time I get a permissions error, I read that this is due to Vista and UAC, couple of problems with that, 1. UAC is turned off and 2. I have tried it with Windows 7 and get exactly the same error.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this problem, I have googled it and tried things with UAC but nothing has worked (including a clean Windows 7 install :eek: ).

Who's the Owner of the Files/Folders on the Nas?

Trem

Who's the Owner of the Files/Folders on the Nas?

Me, the admin as far as I know. I have to log into the NAS each time with my username and password and it does seem that the first time I have logged in I don't get the error, if I try to alter a folder a second time I get the error. Its like it gives me 1 permissions credit each time I log in but I can't be sure thats true.

Actually when changing permissions for 'Everyone' I get the following error -

Attachments

• nas.jpg
    nas.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 21

Gahn

Resident Freddy
In my opinion for some reason the User owning the files is diff from the one you trying to access em, prolly you got read rights but can't really modify the Rights on Files / Folders.

You can check Owner from any Folder (for example) Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner tab.

I would take ownership of all the Nas Content to your Windows User, then apply changes as needed.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Have you tried FTPing into the nas and changing the attributes that way ?
(Guessing its a Buffalo Linkstation from the name so it should also be running its own FTP service.)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Does the NAS require a username/password. If so do they match your Doze ones?

Other than that you should take ownership of the items as already suggested or add an ownership permission for "Everyone"

PS: When doing this have you ever done it and made sure the "Read only" checkbox was empty?

Trem

Ta lads.

I couldn't figure out the Buffalo FTP thing so I never looked into it, kind of wasn't interested in it.

Ok so how do I take ownership?

My windows doesn't have any passwords on Meggington.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner

Trem

It won't let me, it says access is denied :(

Trem

Started from the lower root?
Ideally you have to take ownership from the base upwards.

Oh god, could you possibly talk me through it like I am a baby with no fingers or a brain please?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Start as high up the directory tree structure as you can. So if this was your HDD you'd try and do this on the C:\ folder.

So if your NAS was D:\ you'd start there or if everything was in one folder say "media" you'd do it on that folder, not each item.

Trem

Start as high up the directory tree structure as you can. So if this was your HDD you'd try and do this on the C:\ folder.

So if your NAS was D:\ you'd start there or if everything was in one folder say "media" you'd do it on that folder, not each item.

Got ya and thats what I did, I started on the NAS folder, well when I say started I tried it on that then had a strop then posted on here. It said something about unix being the owner or some such thing, who is that wanker and why is he owning my stuff? :eek:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
unix is rawk. you is technoob.

tried looking at the Buffalo forums?

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Got ya and thats what I did, I started on the NAS folder, well when I say started I tried it on that then had a strop then posted on here. It said something about unix being the owner or some such thing, who is that wanker and why is he owning my stuff? :eek:

Start on the Drive Root, AKA if D:\Nas do that on D:\.
That said being a unix formatted black box might give ya additional troubles.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
srsly though methinks you'll have to do this in the NAS control. SSH, telnet or point your browser at it and find out what it up with that shizzle.

Trem

I have set it up via FTP and I can't change the folder properties, there just isn't that option anywhere.

I have looked at permissions again and everything is set/has been set to allow. I have been on to the NAS web admin thing and there are no restrictions set up, it seems like this is purely a windows issue. Driving me crazy now :eek:

Oh fuck me, now I can't access the NAS through my computer, only through ftp or the Buffalo software. Keeps saying drive hasn't been reconnected.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
or you could just get a PS3.....Mmmmmm, cake.....!!

Trem

or you could just get a PS3.....Mmmmmm, cake.....!!

I have one you bummer :eek:

Mine is a proper one as well and not a victoria sponge :eek: :eek:

Edmond

Your a bummer....you spangle...!!! :kissit:

Trem

Erm...fs!

What else was there....erm....mong...MONG! :eek:

Edmond

I was gonna say Jessie, stay out of this clog boy !!!!!

Umm........Spanner!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom