Perhaps you've already seen this...

• Thread starter old.Reverend Flatus
  • Start date
E

Embattle

Yes I've seen him waffle on before about Linux.

S

ShockingAlberto

Is it just me, or is XP barely mentioned? Oh well, i've heard plenty of people saying mandrake is shit, but very few saying bad about RH or SuSe.

O

old.Reverend Flatus

I've used RedHat and Mandrake, can't say I have any complaints about either, they seem pretty similar. I only use them as servers, command line stuff so I guess the major differences stand out with the GUIs.
Never tried SUSE, must give it a go sometime.

B

bids

Been using Mandrake 8 since it appeared, and have to say well impressed. The installation is well easy now, as the article says, and actually had less of a problem than a recent install of XP Pro (device drivers, network config, etc).

But being pragmatic, Linux kicks serious arse as a server OS (above NT, Win2k imho), but it 'aint never gonna get on the desktop - not enough mainstream applications/games to do that, and can be a bastard to configure correctly.

F

Furr

xp rulez and thers nutin u can say to convert me

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by FuROf knight
xp rulez and thers nutin u can say to convert me

hahahahaha I've missed this board :)

S

ShockingAlberto

How do you know you like XP more than say RH when you've never tried RH? :rolleyes:

Use some sense man.

S

Sar

I'm actually wanting to try Mandrake 8.1 myself now I have a feckin stable system.

:)

Think I'll d/l it at the weekend, burn it to cd and give it a bash (no pun intended).

:D

S

ShockingAlberto

:)

I recommend RH, but as it's the only dristro i've tried, i can't really comment on any others.

T

Testin da Cable

mandrake would be good [if you've never done any [L]unix before] mate.
it's a matter of taste, one eventually finds a distro one really likes :)

S

Sar

Aye, I'll be a complete linux n00b :)

I've tried installing it multiple times before, but either the distro required advanced knowledge to install (me the n00b at this remember), or the PC I tried to install it on wasn't having any of it cos it was so bloody unstable (Say hello once more to my ex-PC, the athlon system).

This P4 rig is rock solid stable, so Linux should be ok on it :)

T

Testin da Cable

I'd like to say linux is ok on anything, but then the wrath of the anti-linux mob would decend apon this thread so I won't :)

F

Furr

I had my experince with Red Hat 6, and it was wank

T

Testin da Cable

did it just not work, or did you not know enough to make it work?
imo, 6.1 was one of their better efforts

Users who are viewing this thread