Perfect party - is there such a thing?

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
Is there such a thing - im an old daoc player and there were certain "builds" for a good pve/pvp group. Certain classes u needed and certain that were not wanted. Is this the case here? Would u recommend us to make 2 pallys, 1 priest, 1 mage and a druid? I'm really curious to this matter - since we are 10 ppl starting EU FB and needless to say dont want to end up with a useless bunch of classes after 1 month.

Just curious as i have tried most classes now and i feel that players should pick classes after what they like playing - and not what goes well together.

Can anyone enlighten me? :eek2:

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
I highly doubt there will be a perfect group setup, i have been throwing ideas around for weeks now and still keep changing my mind

2 priests is always my base though

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
ye well I see the 2 priest idea, but Id say 1 priest and 1 druid is better - for the buff from the druid (300 af and 14 al stats) and the heal over times + better rez?

But again - I'm new to wow (lvl 26)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
why not 1 priest, 1 secondary healer (i wreckon druid for the buffs aswell and heard they r second best healer?), 1 warrior, 1 mage, 1 warlock <shrugs> again i dont think there will ever b a perfect group as there r only 5 spots in the group, if u take one over another ur missing something, i think its rather clever of blizzard :)

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
yeah true Darkie, but u can exclude hunter as they seem to be solo oriented? HuntersMark is really a nice thing, but mostly for ranged attackers - and I doubt a warrior will be throwing axees at a mob (he would get his arse whupped by the dead mage afterwards :D )

So we are down to 5 classe on each side (+1 "realmspecific")

And again - i think a druid is really handy - gotta love the buff!

As we are going Alliance (to beat BF!!!) we will prob make a few Pallys too - these are great solo chars and can even hold a bit of agro ina group + heal and buff!!!

Still - I am confused, freezing and I need a toilet break! :wij:

Aada

Part of the furniture
want a cookie cutter daoc group? here it is.

priest
druid
warrior
warrior
rogue/mage

or if your playing alliance heres the terminator group

Priest
druid
paladin
paladin
rogue/mage

cant go wrong with these group setups hope it helps.

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
thx

Ahh but your first setup - 2 warriors - what are they gonna do when they hit 60? Sorry but i hear so much crap about warriors beeing useless? Or have I been poluted by the kiddo talk on WoW's forums?

The second build is more like what I had in mind! 4 healers and a dam dealer.

I think the only safe way is to try it?

Btw: Do u ever group before levle 10-12 ?

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, you have been polluted, warriors are quite good at 60, but are easily outperformed. They are ofc needed for PvE encounters as taunt machines, but as you cant taunt in PvP, they are usually ignored by the enemy group and then taken out once everyone else is dead.

Sturm

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm so basically they are like armsmen :puke:

Ok - thx for some added info - think I'll talk to my 2 brothers and we will get that good old praetorians feeling back on its feet!

Have fun and cya ingame!

:m00:

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
AhoyHoy said:
Yes, you have been polluted, warriors are quite good at 60, but are easily outperformed. They are ofc needed for PvE encounters as taunt machines, but as you cant taunt in PvP, they are usually ignored by the enemy group and then taken out once everyone else is dead.

dont they have a spell which causes all enemys in a certain range to concentrate attacking on the warrior for 5 seconds? wouldnt this wokr in pvp, giving ur mages/healers 5 seconds of agro free healing/nuking?

also wouldnt a DW warrior b decent in pvp at 60, with support, i know there not as good dmg dealers as rouge, but they take alot of dmg so can charge in, + if its a gnome they have that spell that breaks roots adn stuff :) (im just trying to convince myself that my gnome warriors gunna own :D)

Rambo[DS]

Fledgling Freddie
Like Darksword said Blizzard is very smart on this.
Maybe there isnt some opted grp setup, while there will always be another that beats yours. 5 spots are not enough to deside. And thats a very good thing imo, will involve more skills in fights than Mez-PBAE-PBAE, or Mez-TrainAssist etc.

even then my thoughts are:

2 Mages
1 Priest
1 Druid or Shaman
1 Rogue or Warrior or Paladin

or

2 Mages
2 Priests (one of them Shadow)
1 Rogue or Warrior or Paladin

or :p

4 Rogues
1 Shaman or Druid
(but thats because i used to be a zergfiltrator as many refer to me) :p

these grps depend on correct targeting/sap/polymorph and on the damage output by mages, they can kill fast but can die easy if something goes wrong.

We cant know for sure till we try a lot PvP. We also must consider the 2grps vs 2grps. In bg's this will happen a lot i think, so in that case the one will survive might be the one with more tanks, cause the fight will last longer, casters might run out of mana, tanks will do the work.
In the end as more we think of it that more confused we get, lets see what happens in real action, and in the end i hope never an opted grp can be done, cause this will destroy PvP, many classes will end up useless, nerfs will follow etc.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
its far too early in the game to even care about perfect groups

Aada

Part of the furniture
If your alliance pick Paladin they will always get first places in groups before warrior why? well because they simply are terminators lol i can count on 1 hand how many times ive died in this game so far playing a pally..

Warriors are nice for horde well they dont get anything else right?

pally all the way.

Lucifa

Fledgling Freddie
At the very highest levels, you will absolutely need a warrior in your group. Paladins can not simply generate enough aggro to keep monsters on them, and when you are encountering level 58+ elites you don't want them touching a cloth wearer. Paladins have no form of taunt other than their heal, which a priest will out taunt them easily on.

Group setup for high level instances should be:

Paladin/shaman
Warrior
Mage
Warlock/Mage
Priest

Rogues don't have a place unfortunately :( Their high dps simply doesn't replace the very useful CC (sap is only semi-useful) and also high dps of a mage.

Luci - playing on Burning Blade US

Aada

Part of the furniture
Your very wrong.. paladins have a taunt seal.

Also you wont really want 2 mages in a group.. 1 mage and 1 rogue is fine you get the best of both worlds and your not panicing when the rogue gets aggro.

Slatelighttone

Fledgling Freddie
Not only do Pallies have a taunt seal, they also have a blessing to reduce threat on every other member of the party.

Do mages really want a mana regen, or a threat reduction?

Well played Pallies can hold aggro fine with their combinations of blessing and seals.

slate.jpg

Aada

Part of the furniture
combined with heals/rez/nice dps so many useful seals pally outperforms warriors by a mile

Slatelighttone

Fledgling Freddie
Don't see why that should be Lucifa, I don't think Warriors are gonna be better healers than Pallies at Level 60 ;) or have the variety of seals and utility that a Pallie can bring to the group.

Sure a warriors DPS is gonna eclipse what a Pallie can do, and a priests heals are gonna eclipse the Pallies heals, no question at all.

However, a Pallie is going to last a lot longer then either a warrior or a priest when they are taking a beating. And the longer the pallie lasts, the longer the group lasts as we will be keeping the priest alive or rezzing the people when the battle is won.

Pallies will never be better than other classes at specific things (apart from survivability), it is our utility that makes us a great class.

slate.jpg

Lucifa

Fledgling Freddie
I agree Paladins have good utility and one is welcome to a group. But NOT as a replacement to a warrior, you will absolutely require one for the simple matter that (at the highest levels) they can not generate enough hate to keep mobs off the cloth wearers. In the BRS/BRD a good majority of battles you will be facing many monsters all at once, anything from 3-8, there is simply no way in hell that a paladin that keep the aggro on all of them.
This number of mobs at one time is the same reason you have a mage over a rogue, for the small matter of crowd control that is usable in combat.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
perfect group?
one with NO bunnies!
hehe... mage warlock priest shaman +anything
some of the posts here made me laugh ^^
you guys are funny.

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
well hopefully there is no 'perfect' group setup coz when that happened it made alot of classes in DAoC unwanted and ppl were forced to solo, which was rather sad :fluffle:

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
cause pve is easy?
cause there is no trials of atlantis?

anubis

Fledgling Freddie
high end pve is not that easy
there are 3 highlevel instances, you will _have_ to clean them numerous times, if you want good gear
having 3k hp or 5+k hp is quite a difference i'd say
you will spend good couple of months in pve, trust me
same shit as toa isnt it?

as for group
pve - smth like priest shaman/paladin mage warrior rogue
pvp - 3 mages 2 priests or warrior 2 mages 2 priests

Delania

Loyal Freddie
High lvl dungeons/instances have either a way to port to bosses or a 2nd way in, they easy to farm. With a good working group you can farm a dunegon a few times in a couple of hours to get good equipment. Its no where near like ToA at all. If you farm the dungeons as you lvl you will not have to go back to farm at a later date.

Only the 1st time you go to an instance does it take ages because of the amount of quest you have in there to do at once. Once friends and i had done an instance in CB we would doing it again for what items we wantted, Either at begining of the night or before we all logged, depending when people logged on. You do not have to clean a dungeon/instance numerous times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom