Peaches geldof dead - 25

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
These people don't make a rational choice to be shitty and destroy their lives with drugs, alcohol, gambling or any other vice

Yes they do, make a choice that is, rational or not. Noone is forcing them to do drugs, drink, or piss their money away on card tables. They did that and then oops consequences.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
addiction is awful yea, but going out drinking with mates and finding youre an alcoholic is slightly different to heroin, you have to go out of your way to get it in the first place, or you have really shitty friends, either way, no sympathy

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Of course I do accept that heroin is one seriously powerful drug..you can chose it instead of everything else...sort of a virtual world in a wrap.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Whoopi do. Another selfish loser :(

Kinda harsh on consideration.

But the facts are - semi famous semi good looking girl kills herself abandoning her children to life without her.

Just like her semi famous semi good looking mum did.

And you lot are like "oooo shame" . If a smackhead out the back of Charing Cross Station did it, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. And it's just as important.

Supremely self-indulgent.

And don't give me none of your " I had a mate who had a mate" bs either :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
@Big G - I'm honestly not insulted in any way. I was merely a little angry at the rash judgment of people who suffer with addiction.

@DaGaffer and Everyone Else: I know nothing about Peaches Geldof or Philip Seymour Hoffman and their demise makes no impact to my life whatsoever, but I am someone who has witnessed addiction first hand. These people don't make a rational choice to be shitty and destroy their lives with drugs, alcohol, gambling or any other vice we choose to judge from our sofas and desks. They struggle to cope with life in a way the rest of us can't understand and end up dead or worse (their families are destroyed) as a result. I have mostly ignore celebrity media coverage, especially that which focusses on do-nothing fame seekers so I wasn't aware that she may have been shooting up in front of her kids. I agree that is a really fucking awful thing to do and witness.... but I won't sit here and award her with shittest person of the year because of it. Mostly because I don't know the truth.

Watch this from last November. Feel the hypocrisy.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Yes they do, make a choice that is, rational or not. Noone is forcing them to do drugs, drink, or piss their money away on card tables. They did that and then oops consequences.
I disagree. Sure, it is unlikely that someone physically forced her to start taking drugs. But once you are hooked, it is a lot harder to just opt out.

ad·dic·tion
[uh-dik-shuh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
n] addict, -ion
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
Source Dictionary.com

Understanding that addiction has such a fundamental biological component may help explain the difficulty of achieving and maintaining abstinence without treatment. Psychological stress from work, family problems, psychiatric illness, pain associated with medical problems, social cues (such as meeting individuals from one’s drug-using past), or environmental cues (such as encountering streets, objects, or even smells associated with drug abuse) can trigger intense cravings without the individual even being consciously aware of the triggering event. Any one of these factors can hinder attainment of sustained abstinence and make relapse more likely.
Source http://www.drugabuse.gov

I have no clue how this woman started her heroin (ab)use, heck, i have no clue who she really was but i can't imagine that it is easy life being a holier-than-thau famous young girl (irregardless of if you got put on a pedestal or if you climbed up on one yourself). Saying she just choose to start doing heroin is just naive. Any drug use is a product of your environment, you do what you think is necessary to be accepted, for the particular situation or to just stay sane. Most of us (me included) drink alcohol and because alcohol is a low risk habit forming drug we have not developed an abuse. We like the buzz and the social aspects of meeting up with friends for dinner and drinks. Some people smoke, i would dare to guess that most started due to peer pressure, and because nicotine is a high risk habit forming drugs most people who smoke have developed an abuse. I've ranted for so long that i forgot my point but...

TL;DR:
No one chooses to become an addict.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I never said addiction isn't real or that addicts don't have a problem. I said they make the choice. There's no forcing involved and there's all the info needed to know it's a bad idea if you don't know you can handle it. I'll say that again; you know the risks, you choose to risk it. Addiction is a valid problem, yes, monkey on back and all that, but that's a consequence that you chose to ignore when partaking in activity X.

You chose to risk it all, the reasons why you do it vary and there's millions of stories, but ultimately it all comes down to you, personally, making a choice to do something.

To put it in a simple term; addiction is the end of a road you chose to travel.

Blaming the enviroment, parents, whatever your story is, is bullcrap. Responsibility where responsibility is due.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I'm not saying she isn't responsible for her actions. And i'm not trying to blame anyone but herself, but it isn't always so black and white. I agree that she (probably) chose to put the needle in the arm herself and now everyone around her have to live with her choice. But i doubt anyone ever woke up, made a list of pro's and con's, risk, etc, of heroin use and decided "yepp, i think i will try this and see how it turns out".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Quite, that's really the problem, not making that list and as we know; ignorance is no excuse. Especially these days with all the 24/7 info available.

I'd dare to say that since heroin is such an addictive substance and every single person knows that, that using it actually -is- saying "hey i wanna be an addict".

That or an extreme case of over confidence.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TL;DR:
No one chooses to become an addict.
Actually they all do, the first time they do something they make the choice. Unless someone jabs you while you sleep its one bad choice that leads to numerous further bad choices which are more difficult to resist.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Actually they all do, the first time they do something they make the choice. Unless someone jabs you while you sleep its one bad choice that leads to numerous further bad choices which are more difficult to resist.
You missquoted there ;)
Also you are wrong. Addiction is one potential effect of using drugs. There are differences between using, abusing and being addicted to drugs. I stand by my words - you can use drugs (by choice) but no one chooses to become an addict.

(I am strongly against any drug (narcotics) use but i don't think every junkie is a horrible person that should be burned on a stake for it)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's because people essentially make bad decisions and then they all wish that they had this magic power that means it is impossible for them to become addicted. Unfortunately they never seem to realise early enough that they wouldn't need any magic power if they had just said no to bad shit in the first place (in before Zammo).

TL;DR No, they don't "choose" to become addicts, they're just all fucking stupid enough to believe they can never become one. They do "choose" the path though and that's their own damn fault.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
but i don't think every junkie is a horrible person that should be burned on a stake for it)

That we agree on, i don't think that either. I think they've made some interesting life choices, but a horrible person is only horrible due to actions towards others.

leggy

Probably Scottish
@old.Tohtori - You responded to a comment that I didn't make and chose to twist the context (if even slightly). Now you're simply arguing that addicts make a choice. OF COURSE they make a choice for crying out loud. No one said anything to the contrary. I think I understand why Scouse was getting so frustrated in the David Cameron thread.

The point is that it's not always driven by what you understand as logic and reasoning and definitely not as simple as you make it out to be (and doesn't instantly make them 'bad')

soze

I am a FH squatter
Addiction might be a bitch, but she is rich and could easily have afforded a nanny rather than taking drugs and killing herself in front of her kid. The amount of sympathy I have is zero.

Some one who has to sell their body and lives in a hovel might get my sympathy. But not a socialite.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
@old.Tohtori - You responded to a comment that I didn't make and chose to twist the context (if even slightly). Now you're simply arguing that addicts make a choice. OF COURSE they make a choice for crying out loud. No one said anything to the contrary. I think I understand why Scouse was getting so frustrated in the David Cameron thread.

The point is that it's not always driven by what you understand as logic and reasoning and definitely not as simple as you make it out to be (and doesn't instantly make them 'bad')

Umm, you did make that comment and there was no twisting. I never said it makes them bad and most of this discussion doesn't even involve you as it was between me and lakih.

Christ on a bike get your toys back and learn to argue the matter, not the person.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
All this is nothing but drivel - by actually discussing this subject you are pushing a load of shit into my New posts results. Go back to religion or politics, stop bringing to life scum.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Hmm I find it really depressing that people who have relatively awesome lives can get so messed up and step out. I am bending over backwards in my fairly normal life to set up an environment I enjoy, but still get the short end always. Still I would not contemplate the easy way out at all. humans are strange creatures.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Umm, you did make that comment and there was no twisting. I never said it makes them bad and most of this discussion doesn't even involve you as it was between me and lakih.

Christ on a bike get your toys back and learn to argue the matter, not the person.

I said they don't make a rational choice and you replied that they do. I think you're wrong. My comment was related specifically to that and had no relevance to your 'conversation' with Lakih.

My toys are firmly in my pram and you are the second person to make a pointless, puerile remark about my reaction to some of the comments in here which, in my opinion, are justified and to the point (albeit a little emotionally charged).

How about we get back on topic?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I said they don't make a rational choice and you replied that they do. I think you're wrong.

Next time say that, not "now i know why scouse mewmew". See that reply is discussing things ;)

And i've stated before why they do make a choice. Rationality comes into play only if you're at base an irrrational person who makes stupid choices.

There is no magical reason for "Oh heroin seems like a good idea" choice in life. Even if you gateway into it, you chose that path long time ago. It's your responsibility.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
but do athiests under the influence of drugs make the choice to not believe in god?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
My mate always said that while he was at Bristol Uni the heaviest drug users and most messed up youngsters always seemed to be the ones with rich parents.

ofc man, I mean a different life brings different worries. frankly the thing I worry most about -if I worry at all- is fluffing my school and not getting the paper.
didn't the US come up with a word to explain young rich people's angsts or something? I forget. tbh I think it's very damaging to humans if they don't have something to strive for.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ofc man, I mean a different life brings different worries. frankly the thing I worry most about -if I worry at all- is fluffing my school and not getting the paper.
didn't the US come up with a word to explain young rich people's angsts or something? I forget. tbh I think it's very damaging to humans if they don't have something to strive for.

Affluenza

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Freddyshouse: So many judges, so few informed opinions (or people so furiously trolling the difference is insignificant).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom